• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

20K vs 45K winch cable spooler compatibility

hoopsoft

I can't seem to find the complete part #'s in the books, and my truck doesn't have a cable spooler on the front winch to compare.

My rear cable spooler is froze up BIG TIME, won't turn side to side. I've broken and bent many things trying to get it too swivel back and forth.

Is the 20K spooler the same as the 45K drag winch spooler? Cause I know where I can get a 20K one.

oh yeah, I can't find this shear pin either, with that big of a winch on back, would what be a safe bolt to put in there. Grade 2, 5 or 8.

hoopsoft

ok well I didn't have the 2nd parts manual. I went and got that, and none of the part numbers are the same for the trolley or pulling so looks like there not.

anyone have any experience in freeing these things up?

jasonjc

Bad bad thing can and do happen when you use bolts. There are some pic's on here of the case broke open because of bolts.

hoopsoft

yeah I know, but this is a 45K winch.. I mean, if you've never seen one, I just can't imagine what you'd have to be doing to break the sucker.

jimmcld

I just freed up my 45,000 level wind. It's pretty simple. Lift it off the winch and loosen the nut on the bottom of the trolly. Suspend the entire trolly by the pully and encourage the bottom to drop off with the hammer of choice. There are 45 loose balls contained in the trolly for bearings.

The rollers can be pulled off the shaft after removing the spring clips. I had to replace all four bearings. They are standard bearings, readily available from a bearing store, and can be pressed out easily. The seals are a different matter. Mine had the old felt seals, which fell apart when removed. I used a little shade tree engineering wih some screen spline maerial to replace them.

By the way, the 45,000 lb. levelwind is a lot bigger than the 20,000 levelwind.

M813A1

Hey Jeff !! I'll look in my manuals for some part numbers let me know what you are looking for ?? I have the -20 and - 34 series of manuals !! I look through the winch levelers for you !!

Dave May

hoopsoft

thanks all. yeah I have the nut off the bottom of it. I'll try the old suspend and wack tonight I guess. Back to the manuals to find the shear pin #.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks