• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

20kw Generator

Ok, I had a MEP003 and was told it was not large enough given my AC unit requirements so I sold it. It didn't have the enclosure and it need to have that so it can live outside.

I have since replaced my AC with a brand new unit which most likely will be less demanding from the standpoint of electrical need a 003 may now be enough, especially in light of what I read above.

Is there a newer 10kw unit than the 003? Or a something between 10-15?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. And my 004 is governor controlled (ok. I do controls for a living and was left unsupervised, but hey it's really really cool!)

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
What sort of incentive would it take for you to fix a 003 with a governor? (Feel free to PM so you don't get bombarded by others wanting the same thing....lol. - possible new side gig for you?)

Scoobyshep

What sort of incentive would it take for you to fix a 003 with a governor? (Feel free to PM so you don't get bombarded by others wanting the same thing....lol. - possible new side gig for you?)
I believe the 002 and 003 has a mechanical governor. Well. More of a compensator.

I dont mind helping others with similar projects, the parts can get pricy though.

Icesythe7

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the 002 and 003 has a mechanical governor. Well. More of a compensator.

I dont mind helping others with similar projects, the parts can get pricy though.

I was actually considering buying one of those $150 electronic speed controller kits on ebay for my 803a just to test it out, the reason you ask...none I just like testing things.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scoobyshep

I was actually considering buying one of those $150 electronic speed controller kits on ebay for my 803a just to test it out, the reason you ask...none I just like testing things.
One of these
My set has been modified enough to the point where it's automatic. Power goes out for only about 8 seconds. I used a slc 500 plc to control it. My speed control is a throttle servo driven from 2 outputs, the speed is monitored by output frequency from a hz to 4-20ma converter to an analog input on the plc

Icesythe7

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My set has been modified enough to the point where it's automatic. Power goes out for only about 8 seconds. I used a slc 500 plc to control it. My speed control is a throttle servo driven from 2 outputs, the speed is monitored by output frequency from a hz to 4-20ma converter to an analog input on the plc

It's funny you say that I'm currently working on an auto start using an esp32 which will also monitor status (similar to the one klopp made I believe) I haven't quite worked out all the details yet but I'm thinking of making a sort of battery tender which will also send a signal to the esp32...if it sees no voltage output on battery tender then it knows power is out and it will start and close contact that way I don't have to go outside and can just walk downstairs and flip the interlock over

Scoobyshep

It's funny you say that I'm currently working on an auto start using an esp32 which will also monitor status (similar to the one klopp made I believe) I haven't quite worked out all the details yet but I'm thinking of making a sort of battery tender which will also send a signal to the esp32...if it sees no voltage output on battery tender then it knows power is out and it will start and close contact that way I don't have to go outside and can just walk downstairs and flip the interlock over
If you want help let me know

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So other than the aircon unit, what other loads do you have to power?

Modern lighting is negligible if you have LED bulbs.

Hot water tank, clothes dryer, oven, range, and other appliances, if you pay a little bit of attention, can all be run one at a time on a 5kw gen no problem.

Not too many other heavy surge startup items in most homes other than an aircon, and with a soft start kit they can be run on a lot less generator than you might think.

About the only thing that might trip up a 10kw military diesel on a modern house is if the aircon is a heat pump type, and being operated in colder weather. Heat pumps don't work well in the cold, so they use heater strips, which can be multiple 50 amp 240V strips. Over 24kw draw just for the heat pump.

For comparison's sake, an MEP802A will handle 2 3 ton Nordicair ECU aircons, and the 803A can handle 4 of them all running at the same time. The compressor startup surge is so short that it pretty much never overlaps enough to cause any issues.

If you want something that you can just turn on and not worry about managing loads and whatnot, you might be better off with a civilian home standby generator with auto transfer switch. No wet stacking, the fuel never goes bad, and much easier to find someone to work on it when it needs service or repairs, plus much better parts availability.

(I'm a certified Generac tech, so I do have a little experience with generators on houses)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have read the whole thread and while I am a supporter of military generators what you have asked for is a civilian version and I agree with Coug.

There are a couple of 003s here on the property and I have never used them for a power outage. Even though they aren't mine I can use them if I want, I just don't.

In looking for something to supply our power during and outage I have narrowed it down to 3 (in no particular order):

1. Hardy Generators (a great variety of sizes and fuel sources)
2. Generac Generators (in the 20-24kw range in LP fuel)
3. Kohler Generators (I like Kohler and haven't been let down by a Kohler anything in over 25 years)

The modern civilian generators just have so many features to make it easier on you. You live in a hurricane prone area you probably need features.

But like my of my posts it's just my opinion.

Scoobyshep

Define, "Pricy".... LOL

Give me an educated guess how much $ you think would likely be involved all total.
Depends on deal hunting. Most of my control components were sourced on fleabay. New from manufacturer, it was close to 5k in equipment, but since I'm using the older generation of devices I was able to get all the stuff for about 1000. Also keep in mind that controls my generator, fault detection, ats control, power monitoring, and it runs my pool.

First step for you here is to determine how automatic you want to go.

Depends on deal hunting. Most of my control components were sourced on fleabay. New from manufacturer, it was close to 5k in equipment, but since I'm using the older generation of devices I was able to get all the stuff for about 1000. Also keep in mind that controls my generator, fault detection, ats control, power monitoring, and it runs my pool.

First step for you here is to determine how automatic you want to go.

Geez...now I need a generator AND A POOL! Not sure how the pool helps make the generator run but at least now I can finally justify getting a pool! If I had a hot tub also would that help?

Ok, so by the time you add up all the parts and so forth (not including the pool/hot tub) it sounds like you might as well just get a civilian model with everything built in...

Scoobyshep

Geez...now I need a generator AND A POOL! Not sure how the pool helps make the generator run but at least now I can finally justify getting a pool! If I had a hot tub also would that help?

Ok, so by the time you add up all the parts and so forth (not including the pool/hot tub) it sounds like you might as well just get a civilian model with everything built in...
My pool does have a hot tub. It's essential to offset the geothermal ballast created by the magnetic Flux depending on the geosynchronous orbit of the nearest satellite.

It all depends on what you really want. I have a fully automatic standby unit for about 2500.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks