• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

220v 1-phase HVAC unit reliability

Ratch

I'm looking at possibly purchasing an R22 milsup Air Conditioner. Model/Part No. S9150-18KH-1
These are 220v, single phase, 18k btu units. Looks like that's equal to 1.5 ton, which is a little more than I need.

This unit will be used for primary cooling of a radio transmitter building. 64 square feet, but higher heat load than simple environmental heating.

We currently cool it with a junky consumer box store portable unit that was purchased in an emergency and never properly replaced. My intention with the military unit is to buy 2, and alternate the thermostats on site visits, but always have one stat set higher to take over cooling on a primary unit failure.

Here're my questions:
- Will these units be more reliable than a comparable consumer unit?
- Would a consumer unit be better for other reasons?

I'm very aware that R-22 is obsolete. These units would be scrapped with any failure that requires replacing the refrigerant. My intent is to stop-gap with the super-cheap purchase-price and (hopefully) higher reliability until the site gets overhauled in a few years.

Also, anyone have one of these units installed somewhere? I'd like to get a better look than the particular auction site offers.

Last edited:

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be sure if you buy one that it has refrigerant in it, every time that I have seen them they had the Freon removed. If it were me I would just buy a consumer unit, they usually have a warranty.

Ratch

Thanks, they all say "contains refrigerant".
The appeal is the price and location. In the past, they've gone for a lot less than a consumer unit, and cheap enough to be throwaway. Of course, hidden costs of down time are relevant, too.

Bmxenbrett

R22 is not obsolete and they still make it until 2020. There are currently r22 direct drop in replacements. So dont make the fact that its a r22 unit a major decision factor.

I just put a central ac in my house that takes r22. It was a used unit i got for free. Also if you have a few minutes a day to study to get your AC certification it can save you possibly thousands on having AC repairs done.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the schematic, some of these units have the compressor run continually and moderate cooling by opening a valve to bypass the evaporator.

Ratch

Quick question... Anyone have a pic of one of these units in action? I can't quite visualize how it sets up. Is it basically an in-wall unit?

Guyfang

Staff member
Yes, its "In Wall". It mounts normally in a van, in the dog house portion. I will try and find a picture. If you do get one, let me know and I will also post the parts manual.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks