• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

223 german armored car

madmax46

hey everyone im a ww2 reenactor and we are building a 223 german ww2 armored car but were having a hard time finding blueprints and measurements....its going to be built on a 4x4 truck chassis with chevy v8....but we need the body measurements and blueprints????????? help??????????

Crapgame

Buy a Tamiya 1/35 scale model kit and invest in a CADCAM program to convert model parts into full scale dimensions.

Crew compartment is small.......your front mounted V8 will be sitting between the driver and radio operator......... Most of the replicas I've seen in reenacting since 1986, were made from VW buses with the frame cut and rewelded for proper wheelbase. Suspension is still totally wrong, but, unless you are going to build a bolt for bolt replica, there isn't much you can do.

1. LSSAH had one made from plywood that was pretty decent.

A "good enuff" model made in Texas, around 1991-93, was built on VW bus from angle iron with sheetmetal tack welded on. It sounded like a 50 year old car rolling down the road, rattling all the heck, proportions were wrong, they scaled it to fit on the VW bus frame so it just didn't look quite right.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right. You spend thousand of manhours working iron, rebuilding mechanicals and automotive, make it worth your effort.

For a front mounted engine, check into a SdKfz Ausf. B:

SdKfz 247 Ausf. B / 4-Rad

Here's a website in Germany offering a replica 247B
Sdkfz 247 Repro
and CAD files for your 222 Turtle:
Sdkfz 222 Repro

Unless you are intent on trying to play tanker without actually having a tank.

L1A1

Crew compartment is small.......your front mounted V8 will be sitting between the driver and radio operator......... Most of the replicas I've seen in reenacting since 1986, were made from VW buses with the frame cut and rewelded for proper wheelbase. Suspension is still totally wrong, but, unless you are going to build a bolt for bolt replica, there isn't much you can do.

1. LSSAH had one made from plywood that was pretty decent.

A "good enuff" model made in Texas, around 1991-93, was built on VW bus from angle iron with sheetmetal tack welded on. It sounded like a 50 year old car rolling down the road, rattling all the heck, proportions were wrong, they scaled it to fit on the VW bus frame so it just didn't look quite right.
There was also one built out of (fairly heavy)steel on a cut down Ford F250 frame. It was only two wheel drive using a cadilac V8 mounted in the rear. The guys from GD had it back in the early to mid 1990s. Mike Shoaler(sp?) restorations down in Florida (whatever happened to him?)was building 90% scale copies of the SDKFZ-232 8RAD & the turretless fire support variant; SDKFZ-233. They were built using M151 driveline components and weren't cheap.

Matt

B3.3T

Crapgame has a great suggestion. If you build a front-engined 247, you can have your choice of 4x4 pickups and can get the wheelbase exactly correct. As he suggested, don't do anything unless you plane on doing it right. Don't try to reinvent the wheel. Get a good running gear setup so you can concentrate you creative efforts on the VISMODS. There are several very nice 223 replicas running around the UK, some on reworked LR running gear. There are just too many funny looking StgIII/FV432s running around not to do it right.

L1A1

I'm not a reenactor but I must admit that I've always wanted to try my hand at building a VisMod. Not sure what I'd like to attempt, though.

Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks