• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24 bolt O rings that fit

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased some O rings off of one of the auction sites, they were supposed to be for the late 12 and 24 bolt wheels (orange) they listed military part numbers but it does say it "replaces" those numbers, never actually saying they were OEM, no big problem I can send them back.

SO the question is has anyone purchased O rings that actually fit?? and if so from whom?

Please do not embarrass yourself by suggesting I hold them in place with silicone sealer or gorilla snot..... These are just too long to be correct, I actually think a hair short would be better as they tend to move out when compressed..

fpchief

I purchased some O rings off of one of the auction sites, they were supposed to be for the late 12 and 24 bolt wheels (orange) they listed military part numbers but it does say it "replaces" those numbers, never actually saying they were OEM, no big problem I can send them back.

SO the question is has anyone purchased O rings that actually fit?? and if so from whom?

Please do not embarrass yourself by suggesting I hold them in place with silicone sealer or gorilla snot..... These are just too long to be correct, I actually think a hair short would be better as they tend to move out when compressed..
Bought one from kascar. Worked good so far.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Is the particular size not in the -P in the TM's?
O-rings are not rocket science although they allow rockets to work.
By now I had thought there would be an o-ring guide in the Steel soldiers.
It should be done and be a sticky but I don't find one.
o-rings are not rocket science and most are not "special" it has a number and dimensions and specifications.
Here, read this for about a week.

Attachments

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
a bit more...................

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone suggested I put them in the freezer, it looks like that will work if I can get them bolted together fast enough..............

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Someone suggested I put them in the freezer, it looks like that will work if I can get them bolted together fast enough..............
An o-ring is an O-ring. It is a precise fit. One could make do with many kinds of "fix it back yard" stuff including but not limited to different flavors "lubrication" stuff but why not just get the proper o-ring as per the design.
You screw with the design at your peril.

I have often wondered ........WHY We do not have a fastener and an O-ring database in SS. If I going to do it then I will need much input from many humans in SS

.....Also about every fastener in that truck, what truck? and where to get them.
By Golly, this is NOT rocket science nor is it all a secret.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have done that with an O ring that was slightly larger than required. I have also cut an O ring to fit and butt the ends together. Since your compressing it anyway I figured it could work. And it did work. Never had a problem with it.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have done that with an O ring that was slightly larger than required. I have also cut an O ring to fit and butt the ends together. Since your compressing it anyway I figured it could work. And it did work. Never had a problem with it.
I think these folks just used super glue, that seems to be what is provided in most "universal" o ring "kits"

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ended up cutting 0.330" out of the Fleabay o ring to make it correct

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you cut an "O" ring you need to make a long diagonal cut and then seal with silicone or RTV.

Straight cuts don't bond together as well.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you cut an "O" ring you need to make a long diagonal cut and then seal with silicone or RTV.

Straight cuts don't bond together as well.
This is inconsistant with every procedure I have read, Teflon seals are cut that way but all the o ring kits say cut exactly at 90deg and use a bonding agent.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is inconsistant with every procedure I have read, Teflon seals are cut that way but all the o ring kits say cut exactly at 90deg and use a bonding agent.
I cut mine at 90 degrees and butt the ends together with a dab of gasket sealer just to keep it in place while assembling the wheel. In hind sight I should have used rubber cement to fuse the ends together. Since it worked and I have never had a problem I will leave them be until it is time for new tires, which will be soon. They have held air for over 3 years now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks