• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24 bolt wheels with BFG Bajas - Runflat or No Runflat

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have been offered a set of paired 24 bolt wheels with new 2019 and 2020 date code BFG Bajas for our 1123. Seller says they DO have the run flat inserts, but have been balanced and are new/unused. Would you guys feel comfortable running those on the highway, or am I throwing money away? I prefer the authentic look and aftermarket wheel availability has all but dried up.

Action

Have been offered a set of paired 24 bolt wheels with new 2019 and 2020 date code BFG Bajas for our 1123. Seller says they DO have the run flat inserts, but have been balanced and are new/unused. Would you guys feel comfortable running those on the highway, or am I throwing money away? I prefer the authentic look and aftermarket wheel availability has all but dried up.
Why would you not feel comfortable? They are only 1-2 years old. I will always use runflats in mine. I had a blowout on the interstate and am glad it was in there v

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why would you not feel comfortable? They are only 1-2 years old. I will always use runflats in mine. I had a blowout on the interstate and am glad it was in there v
I personally would feel better with them in there, but I've had several guys tell me there's no way to balance them enough to smooth them out for highway speeds.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What does that set run? My tires are new but I have 2 that are cracked from being in the sun since 2002 and they all need to be replaced

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What does that set run? My tires are new but I have 2 that are cracked from being in the sun since 2002 and they all need to be replaced
Before shipping, I'm finding good new or newish tires, mounted and balanced on 24 bolt wheels for $290 a corner.

Action

I personally would feel better with them in there, but I've had several guys tell me there's no way to balance them enough to smooth them out for highway speeds.
Your first post mentions you found tires on wheels WITH runflats. You then asked if we would feel comfortable driving with them. Only the post title mentions running without runflats. You will get better answers when your questions are clear.

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your first post mentions you found tires on wheels WITH runflats. You then asked if we would feel comfortable driving with them. Only the post title mentions running without runflats. You will get better answers when your questions are clear.
Sorry @Action…. trying to type on my phone while traveling today and not doing the best job at it. Yes, I found a set of new BFGs on wheels with runflats installed. The question is whether it’s possible and safe to get 24 bolt wheels WITH runflats balanced out somehow so they’re smooth enough to run at highway speeds, and how to go about doing that. Alternatively, I’ve had some guys say they’ve been through multiple sets of factory wheels and tires with no luck getting them to run smooth (bent wheels, untrue tires, etc). Those guys have recommended getting rid of the runflats and installing the Trail Worthy Fab PVC beadlock inserts or just buying aftermarket 17” wheels and readily available road tires. Just trying to see what other’s experiences are before I buy 5 new wheels and tires whatever they may be.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes, you can balance them out with runflats, and then safely run them at highway speeds.
Getting a set of Centramatics or Balancemasters does help, because even being just a little out of balance makes things feel worse the faster you drive.

I've run Wrangler MT and MTR tires on both 12 and 24 bolt rims at 70+mph with the runflats installed and only occasionally get noticeable shaking, and that is with doing the tire work myself, no balancing, and centramatics.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run 24 bolt with bajas with run flats with no issues at highway speed.
Any old school shop that has a computer balancer that will take large tires can spin them. Lots of lead weights but do able

Look for a shop that does 4x4 and off road .

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run 24 bolt with bajas with run flats with no issues at highway speed.
Any old school shop that has a computer balancer that will take large tires can spin them. Lots of lead weights but do able

Look for a shop that does 4x4 and off road .
I need to find a good shop here in north Texas. 4 wheel parts is scared of them.

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes, you can balance them out with runflats, and then safely run them at highway speeds.
Getting a set of Centramatics or Balancemasters does help, because even being just a little out of balance makes things feel worse the faster you drive.

I've run Wrangler MT and MTR tires on both 12 and 24 bolt rims at 70+mph with the runflats installed and only occasionally get noticeable shaking, and that is with doing the tire work myself, no balancing, and centramatics.
This is encouraging, thanks @Coug

Action

I need to find a good shop here in north Texas. 4 wheel parts is scared of them.
Find a good shop for what? You said you found tires that are already balanced....
Road Force Touch machines can handles these. Their website will give places in your area that have it. There is a newer model that will work too.

tjonesdfw

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Find a good shop for what? You said you found tires that are already balanced....
Road Force Touch machines can handles these. Their website will give places in your area that have it. There is a newer model that will work too.
I never trust anything I buy without checking it first, so I was going to have someone throw them on their machine before just blindly putting them on the truck. Thanks for the heads up on the website to find out who has that machine.

Glider

I run MT OZ balanced with no run flats. To me it rides better with removed. I did replace one tire that was technically good but was out of round and didn't ride well. I will probably add pvc inserts when I put on a new set because i worry about popping tire off bead when offroad. The run flats are good for added safety but it comes with a cost of ride and road manners. IMO The only thing they will help you with is a blowout. You can drive on a flat but it will tear up your tire. I'm running 12 bolt wheels there fine. The 24 with new studs and nuts sure do look good though..

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd run the hell out of them! the 24 bolt wheels I put together seem to be truer than the 12 bolts I have.
Of course any vehicle rides smother if the UN-sprung weight is reduced so I am running the bead locks only on my 24 bolt, no balance at all with Centramatics and they are great!

Hammer

I have E rated Bajas on 24 bolts with runflats. 2019 date code, new tires.
I have the centramatics installed, and I can easily cruise at 70+ without issue (been over 80 mph and still felt fine.)

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am totally new to the scene with zero previous DIY tire experience and went thru the whole process of investigating getting new 17" wheels vs keeping the 24 bolt paired ones on my truck.
The only aftermarket wheel I think looks good on the HMMWV is the Black Rhino Armory, completely closed, everything else looks weak, but in the end I didn't want to give up the run-flats and the paired 24 bolt look awesome :)
Went to many shops and nobody would touch the two piece wheels, eventually I found one local shop that said they handle H1 tires, but by then I still feel better doing it myself.
I already got one together and installed it, it's not too bad if you have a few cold beers on the side...the run-flat adds about 35lbs per wheel, so the whole assembly comes in at around 160-170lbs.

I ordered new tires made in 2020 with run-flats installed (they didn't have it on wheels, otherwise I would have gotten that option)

I bought a set of Balancemasters, which can compensate up to 30oz and have Lifetime Warranty (so in theory there should be no need to do any pre-balancing) vs. Cetramatics, which work only up to 12oz and have only 5 Years Warranty - after having to balance the tires 2-3 times, the balancers will pay for themselves and it should work & feel better as they are active.
The Balancemasters rep said that the same model can be used with 17" wheels also, if I ever change it.

Will update everyone once everything it is installed, which will be in January.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks