• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24 to 12 volt?

APM215

Has anyone converted their truck to 12v?
What are the drawbacks to this?
Is it a lot of work?
I'm re-powering the M215 and the starter I have with the new engine is 12volt.

Any input would be great.

Trango

The engine I have for my repower also has a 12v starter. It runs just fine, and twice as quick. :)

I would highly advise not converting to 24v. Not only will you need to replace all of the components with 12v equivalents, but the amperage will suddenly double, meaning your wiring will also be instantly rated for half the wattage (Watts = Amps * Volts).

I once had this notion that 12v would be better, too. I was luckily swayed by those who knew better.

Oh yes, if you do have any issues with your starter, you can always have it rebuilt for 24v, or just purchase the 24v version of the same starter (often more available/common than one would guess).

What engine is going in there?

CCATLETT1984

24v is a lot better for starting, there is a reason that big rigs and these vehicles have 24v systems. In a few years cars will be running 36v or 48v (more effecient) and we will finally be able to run an AC compressor with an electric motor on the car.

badgmc56

If you want to go to 12-volt there is nothing wrong with that. I wired an M-37 with 12 volts and drove the truck daily for 6 years with no problems. The easy way to do it is buy a complete wiring harness from PAINLESS WIRING. You can get them from JEGS or SUMMIT RACING. Comes complete with fuse box and fuses. I think they run a couple hundred bucks or so.The good thing about 12-volts is you can run a much cheaper starter and alternator . Bulbs are less expensive too. If you are thinking about putting a different engine and tranny in your truck, and you don't care about being original then 12-volts is the way to go.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks