• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24 VDC to 12 VDC & 24 VDC to 110 AC converters/inverters Question

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, did a little searching, so they are Lead-Calcium types and can apparently handle a terrific charging rate, although didn't find any numbers on that specifically.
If you can charge them in 8 hours, that would be at a 250 amp rate for a total of 2,000 Ah (each 24-cell bank).

Very impressive.

Your average hourly usage rate would be about 350 Watts, correct?

Last edited:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
anybody ever use a redi-line generator? thats what i plan on using in my deuce. i have one just laying around so when i get my 12 volt alternator hooked up, that will charge my other battery for the generator. it is true sine wave and will be handy to have whenever i need it.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reads about right, the inverter may have a low cut-off before the batteries get completely drained also, so you'd never get to use the full capacity.

In comparison, my puny 70 Ah system lets me run a 200 Watt (average) load for about 8 hours and recharges fully in 45 minutes or so, at an 80 amp rate...but at least, it's mobile. :)

Attachments

cbvet

I also have an old Rediline, about 800 watts. Definitely puts out clean full sine wave power. Would be perfect for running a computer or other electronics.
For those unfamiliar, Rediline generators have 12 or 24 or 36 vdc motors that turn 120 vac generators. Very compact & dependable too. I think 1600 watts is the biggest though.

cbvet

The Rediline makes a sound similar to a 1/2 hp electric motor with no load on it.
I've only experimented with it, running a light & a 3/8 drill, not run it under a full load. I got it from a locksmith who used it to run a fluorescent light & a key machine.
When I first got it I thought it was broken, because it didn't run when I hooked-up power to it. Took it apart. Everything looked OK. Called Rediline, & was told it only runs when a load is applied! DUH!
Sure enough, it spools up instantly when you put a load on it.
Efficiency? Don't know.

Last edited:

oddshot

How long would you need the 24-110 inverter? I have one you might be able to borrow.
Thank you very much for this kind offer! Whatever I install will be permanent installation.

I think having a reliable source and fused 24VDC, 12VDC and 110VAC outlets in the cab and a secure spot in the bed will be a good idea considering the uses I have planned for this truck.

From searching the threads I get the idea that there is about two grades of this kind of stuff ... Good or trash. I figured I'd ask to see who had experience with this type of stuff ... I got a couple good ideas from the posts here so far.

Thanks!

oddshot

Last edited:

deuceaid

Banned
The rediline does put out good sinewave power.... I have a 1600 watt unit ( $900 new in the 90s) that I bought pre y2k,,,, but even with a 100 watt light bulb pluged in it , to the unit draws 27 amps off the battery just to spin the thing... it will start a skillsaw or a regularr full size refrigerator ,,,,they also make the small hotdog......700 watts about the size of a 1 liter botle on its side,, my friend had one( but I never speced the draw etc).....my friend, ( retired guy, real smart) also knew of several units being tied together in parralle to boost wattage, but never saw it myself.....

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
mine is the 1600 watt version. it works real good. i used it when the power went out to run the fridge and a friends sump pump. it was nice because it would shut off when the sump pump shut off. to run it, i made a quick disconnect that plugs into my 2000 jeep cherokee, flip the high idle switch and thats it. it did draw a lot of current though and my jeeps 120amp alternator couldnt keep up with it for an extended period running 2 fridges. but im not sure the actual current that was being used by the generator though which would be nice to know. when i put my second 12 volt alternator on the deuce, the alternator wil be a 94 amp. hope thats enough to run it at capacity or else ill have to put in a small battery bank to help it out.

tm america

You could run one of my 12 volt alt kits to get 12 volts. run a couple dual purpose batteries and a 12 volt to 110 volt inverter that can be had cheap from hf. this way you can run whatever you want and not have to worry about whether the truck will start or not..Since it will be a separate system and it leave the stock 24 volt system as is with no chance of discharging the batteries to the point where you are stranded.Or you could get a cheap generater like i got from autozone.. IT is a 1000 watt 2 stroke.. It has one 110 volt outlet and a 12 volt outlet as well. quite and cheap.I got mine for 79.99 on sale like a month ago

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rediline does put out good sinewave power.... I have a 1600 watt unit ( $900 new in the 90s) that I bought pre y2k,,,, but even with a 100 watt light bulb pluged in it , to the unit draws 27 amps off the battery just to spin the thing... it will start a skillsaw or a regularr full size refrigerator ,,,,they also make the small hotdog......700 watts about the size of a 1 liter botle on its side,, my friend had one( but I never speced the draw etc).....my friend, ( retired guy, real smart) also knew of several units being tied together in parralle to boost wattage, but never saw it myself.....
Tried to figure the conversion efficiency of the Rediline and it probably isn't that much to brag about.
According to your numbers, it would be about 37%.

Rediline uses CCA of a battery to figure run-time (see image below) and there is no relationship between CCA and the AH rating of a battery, so they are hiding something.
If they are using the approximation that CCA is 5 times the AH capacity, then the are using a 135 AH battery in the formula below.

For a 100% conversion efficiency, those two batteries (below formula) should last for 6.75 hours.
If they only last 1.87 hours, that would indicate an efficiency of less than 30%.

My guess is that the conversion efficiency is less than 50%.

A typical solid state inverter runs at 90% or better.

Attachments

deuceaid

Banned
Tried to figure the conversion efficiency of the Rediline and it probably isn't that much to brag about.
According to your numbers, it would be about 37%.

My guess is that the conversion efficiency is less than 50%.

A typical solid state inverter runs at 90% or better.
I think the efficiency goes up,,, the reason being, it is still going to take some amps just to spin the rotor,,,,and that was a very small load compared to the rated load,,,,,, for bigger loads I would feel ok,,,,,but I wouldnt use it to run a 7 watt night lite,,,from what my friend had said, when properly matched 70% was a good number , give or take ( yeah its not electronic, but it is TRUE sinewave)2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks