• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24 volt 5 ton alt conversion

bluehorse

The reason I would want a high amp alternator is I'm considering doing a rear mount 18,000lb electric winch which draws 278 amps at full load and 169 amps at half load. Plus if your running a bunch of lights or heater on top of that load your batteries will get sucked down fast.

74M35A2

Batteries sit bored with nothing to do after starting the engine. Winch duty cycle is very short, on the order of seconds and not even minutes. It is OK to let the batteries support this load after the engine is started and they have nothing else going on.

It is easy to want a high amp single alternator, they just are not cheap. For new and name brand, $340 was the best I could do, using my discount for the alt by itself.

Let us know which you go with and the cost.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
55143FA6-75C8-431F-93E0-6DD3EB824FA2.jpg5D83D15E-5875-4968-B06D-FA745076017B.jpg06F2F048-BCCA-4235-8AE8-2680C45EFE95.jpg02E6ECC9-FA5A-4035-8CBD-6BDB0A7ECFF8.jpg

Delco-Remy 33si
24V. 100A
w/ Factory Cummins bracket.
Bottom brace was fashioned from a John Deere tractor part.

Install was a brease and battery’s have never been happier.

74M35A2 was seller and very helpful.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The reason I would want a high amp alternator is I'm considering doing a rear mount 18,000lb electric winch which draws 278 amps at full load and 169 amps at half load. Plus if your running a bunch of lights or heater on top of that load your batteries will get sucked down fast.
Your duty cycle is only .7 on that winch at full load. At any rate you should double line it anyway per the winch rating which will cut your winch motor load in half.

Heater unit pulls 8 to 12 amps. When winching it has always been practice to turn off your lights when the draw is on. Especially on 12v stuff on a normal truck. Plus you really don't need your headlights if you are winching backwards but that is just me. LED lights should not have an issue running during the draw. Going with 8D batteries and even a 100 to 160amp alternator would be fine. Your batteries will recover fast as well.

74M35A2

The alternator Tinstar is showing is a genuine Delco Remy, brushless, and designed for 1 million mile life expectancy. I tripped across a few of them for cheap, they are normally $750 MSRP as a direct purchase, not including the bracket. Glad you like it. Simp also has one, but runs more loads off of it, so it needed an external cooling air flow duct rather than the warm underhood air.

They have temperature compensated voltage regulators, and set a higher voltage the colder it is outside.

bluehorse

Lots of good information 👍.

I didn't realize the duty cycle was so low on the 18k electric winches. They are probably underated for warranty purposes too??

Are there any videos online showing the use or testing of the 18k electric winches, I searched and didn't come up with anything?

We be nice to see some real world actual use of them at full load, part load etc. I wonder if they would even pull a severely stuck M939 out double lined before they over heated? Truck weighs over 22,000lbs then add the resistance of being stuck and that's a hard pull.

74M35A2 I would definately be interested in going with a 33si alternator kit with a 160 amp rating, shoot me some prices.

Also has anyone done a rear 20k hydraulic military Garwood winch on an M939? I have an M925A2 so the hydraulic power is already there.

I'm planning on doing some snow wheeling/camping and want to be able to pull myself backwards if I get the front end off in a ditch or off the side of a bank. I also want to be able to pull others behind me up to me without having to turn around because lots of places we go there are no places to turn around for miles.

Reason I was saying lights and heater was I have a Artic heater (anyone know the amp draw?). I or other MV's with me could get stuck in the dark, in the mountains, in the winter, in fridgid temps, and I want to have heat and lights at the same time as winching. I like being overly prepared.

I will be switching to LED's and will also be installing aux led work lights all around the truck. I realize they don't draw as much current. I already have the LED headlamps, just need to install them.

74M35A2

A 160 amp 24v alternator is $700 just to get in the game. I have very low priced 100 amp units in classified I just listed.

Are you sure you want electric? A hydraulic winch has a 100% duty cucle rating, and works underwater.

I bought a second hydro one for the rear like you said, have not installed it yet, like everything else....

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 160 amp 24v alternator is $700 just to get in the game. I have very low priced 100 amp units in classified I just listed.

Are you sure you want electric? A hydraulic winch has a 100% duty cucle rating, and works underwater.

I bought a second hydro one for the rear like you said, have not installed it yet, like everything else....
I don't see the listing.

74M35A2

Thanks. These are 30Si series brushless, the ones everybody wants (genuine Delco, not Chinese clone). They are hard to find for a reasonable cost in the US, and will move quickly. No promise of when I will have more. Was lucky to find a batch of 6. I mark them up less than $100ea, then pass the brackets, pullies, and shipping along at cost for you guys.

74M35A2

I need SS member handle correlation in PayPal transaction, also need ship-to address in PayPal or SS PM too, y’all. Thanks.

74M35A2

Thanks,

I may have a line on 3 brand new 24Si genuine Delco 24v 70a units also, will post in classifieds if so. They are modern technology, open architecture, light/small, twin internal fan, temperature compensated regulator, basically a late copy of the high quality Japanese units that have dominated the automotive market for the past decade. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks