• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24 volt beacon

Pipehitter35

You mgiht check out your relay if it is a 24v relay go and get a 12v and see if that works I did that to a set of 24v KC lights i got from a friend and the tech guys at KC said all I would have to do to convert them to 12v is change the relay and they work great

kenzo

Hello folks,

does anyone have a copy of the installation instructions for the pole-mounted Rotating Beacon - Convoy Light, please?
There are a few beacon-owners here in England but no-one has managed to locate the instructions, as a result, installations and wiring tend to be a bit-home-made (and risky).

if anyone has a copy, please let me know.
Thanks
Ken

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Surplus Center has some nice Federal rotating beacons. I like rotating beacons and have two on the roof of my U-1300 Unimog fire truck as original equipment. The Federal model 14 beacons from Surplus Center look just like the ones on my truck so I know they are tough quality. They don't have magnets so must be mounted.

My experience has been that if the beacons are not blue or red, no problem.

If the beacon is meant for safety purposes, and mounted on the rear of the truck/trailer, the purpose should be obvious to a LEO.

Surplus Center - 24 VDC FEDERAL SIGNAL #14 AMBER REVOLVING LIGHT

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My experience has been that if the beacons are not blue or red, no problem.
Not quite. This is ignorance on behalf of the LEO - who is not up to speed on DoT regs.

If the beacon is meant for safety purposes, and mounted on the rear of the truck/trailer, the purpose should be obvious to a LEO.
Any one with a wrecker endorcement or oversize CDL should know that rotating beacons/strobes are only legal on a moving vehicle if it is slow (< 40 in a 55) or excessively over width (just overwidth needs non flashing rear amber lights). FYI for those that don't have the above.

Just went there.... ZERO in stock.

I think the strobes is a good idea - I'm putting a set in the wrecker 'trailer/towing' light set (goes at the back of the towed vehicle)