• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24 volt beacon

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All:

I have found when driving my WWII Dodge that a yellow rotating caution beacon (like the ones used on construction trucks) mounted to the back of the truck makes a HUGE difference in not being tail-gated (even the semis stopped doing it).

Are these available in 24 volt?

Or better yet, is there a converter from 24 volt to 12 volt?

Thanks very much

-Ken J

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saturn Surplus had some 24 volt models. You can also get stobe lights which typically operate from 9 - 36 volts. Check with NAPA or a truck parts supplier.

ptg530C

In Michigan it is illegal to drive with a flashing orange beacon. I would check the laws in your state before you drive with ANY colored beacon on.

Ridgerunner

I have an amber strobe convoy light I could get rid of. It's on my parts deuce, and mounts to the back of the deuce cab. It also telescopes up and down, so you don't have to remove it to get into a garage or some other low clearance building.

Attachments

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Michigan it is illegal to drive with a flashing orange beacon. I would check the laws in your state before you drive with ANY colored beacon on.
Hadn't thought about it- I'll call the highway patrol tomorrow. But if you'd seen how even the big rigs ride up on my a$$aua, you'd see why I'm willing to risk a ticket. Once I started using the rotating beacon on my WWII truck, it opened up the spacing by at least three car lengths.

It gets me bad 'cause the WWII truck does about 55, and the speed limit throughout the state is 55 for all trailers. So I shouldn't have semis tailgating me, but they always do whenever I drive to an event.

Like I said, whenever I put that yellow light back there, no problems.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter

AWESOME set of links! THANKS!!

And THANKS to all the other guys with their links. It's now a tough decision to make as to which model and supplier to use. I like Saturn since it's mil surplus, but I also think the LED units are pretty good.

Last edited:

BEASTMASTER

you'd be better off with a strobe or an led light. the rotators have a tendency to shake themselves apart.. and the strobes and led's use way less juice.

7Dust

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone bought the Saturn Surpluss light? When it says it comes with wiring - what do you get? Everything you need?

Ive looked around and can't find a close up pic of the correct way to mount the convoy light. I want to add a convoy light to my Deuce but would like to keep it "correct"

hole

Ken, definately check with an LEO on this. I bought a truck( non MV) 20 years ago that had a yellow rotor light on it. First time I got pulled over in it the officer warned me about using it an "non official business" mode.

shepsjeep

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the original 24 volt military convoy lights on my trucks. They have all metal parts and will take the vibration. They are getting harder to find. The ones that Saturn is selling are knock offs with plastic parts and will not last very long if they make the shipping trip to your house. Strobes are great, but I was trying to go original. I got lucky...

7Dust

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the original 24 volt military convoy lights on my trucks. They have all metal parts and will take the vibration. They are getting harder to find. The ones that Saturn is selling are knock offs with plastic parts and will not last very long if they make the shipping trip to your house. Strobes are great, but I was trying to go original. I got lucky...
^^^ Thanks for saving me from buying junk.

I want to go original too. I'll keep looking.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a number of authentic "convoy" lights. I've seen Federal (#14), Mars, Signal Stat, and North American. Some do have plastic bases, and some have chrome bases.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks