• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24 Volt System jump starting

Rhodesia

Ok both my battery's are dead maybe that's why my battery Gage never went past the red, but never had a problem when starting but right now I know you can't jump start a 24 volt system with a 12 volt jump starter, I have slave cables for this model but standing along side the road with these is like waiting for a Military truck to come buy to help you, LOL anyway what's the better option taking out both battery's and charge them single or do they make a 24 volt battery jump starter? I know this sounds like a stupid question and be nice when answering, LOL but I was looking down the road just in case you do get stuck and you really do need a jump. Thanks. :recovry4x4:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yes they do one is about the size of a small tackle box $200
Rockford (RCP6104)

the big is a cart with 2 12V batteries $1,400
Solar (SOLHT1224AGM)

just me

Many wheelchairs, scooters and some pallet jacks and small forklifts are 24 volt. Finding a charger is pretty easy. Until you get one, disconnecting and charging them individually with a 12 Volt charger is a good way. Jumping with a 12 volt vehicle won't start yours and will damage theirs.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had luck with jumping 12 volts from another 12 volt vehicle to just the battery that has the positive lead to the starter circuit coming off it. I leave both batteries in the 24 volt vehicle connected as normal. No damage ensues to either the 24 volt vehicle or the 12 volt vehicle. If really stubborn to start, use two 12 volt sources, one to each battery.

Rhodesia

Ok I think I found my problem why it is NOT keeping a full charge, after charging the two battery's to a full charge my battery Gage was in the green, but after a half hour it was in the red so my question is could it be the Generator that is bad? I have no way of testing this because I'm working on something that is 65 years old, LOL. Their is a date of 1968 on this so it must have still been in service maybe when it was changed out, just a guess. I have found one on eBay but they want $600 dollars for it with a core charge of course, so any advise for my ongoing issue? here is a picture of the Data Plate on the Generator best I can do.
data.JPG

NAM VET

before you spend money on a replacment/rebuilt generator, look up a starter/generator repair shop in your area, they can quickly tell you if it is down, and fix it, or if your problem is in the voltage regulator. Rebuilt M 37 generators are available, if your shop doesn't want to fix your, for a lot less than $600. Don't get discouraged, you will get back on the road soon. And all the local parts stores will test your batteries for free too.

all the best...

NAM VET, upstate SC

Rhodesia

Ok I did not see a voltage regulator on this model or did I not see it? thank for your information I did find 4 on eBay for the M37 series but mine only takes a single belt these come with a dual belt like you would add another belt to it for something else like possible power steering maybe? their data plate is the same as mine so I take it it is a newer generator.
before you spend money on a replacement/rebuilt generator, look up a starter/generator repair shop in your area, they can quickly tell you if it is down, and fix it, or if your problem is in the voltage regulator. Rebuilt M 37 generators are available, if your shop doesn't want to fix your, for a lot less than $600. Don't get discouraged, you will get back on the road soon. And all the local parts stores will test your batteries for free too.

all the best...

NAM VET, upstate SC

Rhodesia

Well I have read this and I don't think I can do this type behind the motor pool job, it might be easier for me to either get another Generator and or voltage regulator the date on my voltage regulator is 8/1954 for a 1953 truck so maybe it was time for it to die. anyway I have new battery's not even a month old after a full charge they would go from Green to red in about a half hour and it takes longer to start her over. The owner forgot to tell me he had these issues (Duh) or maybe because the Truck sat in the Barn for 4 years as well (A Barn Car) LOL. thank you for the input.

DrillerSurplus

before you spend money on a replacment/rebuilt generator, look up a starter/generator repair shop in your area, they can quickly tell you if it is down, and fix it, or if your problem is in the voltage regulator. Rebuilt M 37 generators are available, if your shop doesn't want to fix your, for a lot less than $600. Don't get discouraged, you will get back on the road soon. And all the local parts stores will test your batteries for free too. NAM VET, upstate SC
I agree-an electric rebuild shop will usually check it out for free and rebuild it for way less than replacement- especially for a hard to find item.
I've had good luck with Blanchard Electric in Seattle on civilian and military starters & alternators, but there has to be a place in Portland.
Maybe Blanchard can give you a name & number.

Blanchard Electric
640 South Spokane Street
Seattle, WA 98124

206-682-2981

Rhodesia

Well I need to find out if it is not the voltage regulator too and not the Generator too, or both maybe gone. all I know after a full charge the truck sure likes to drain my batterys fast. I see that they sell rebilds and new voltage regulators at vintage power wagons.
I agree-an electric rebuild shop will usually check it out for free and rebuild it for way less than replacement- especially for a hard to find item.
I've had good luck with Blanchard Electric in Seattle on civilian and military starters & alternators, but there has to be a place in Portland.
Maybe Blanchard can give you a name & number.

Blanchard Electric
640 South Spokane Street
Seattle, WA 98124

206-682-2981

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem sounds like something on the truck draining the batteries between uses, right? The voltage regulators (VR) on these old generators has typically 3 sections or coils with contacts, one for voltage, one for over-current, and a third for field disconnect. The field contact is supposed to open up when the truck is stopped. If it does not then the batteries drain through the generator windings. in that case the voltage on the system could look correct, and plenty of current is generated, but the batteries drain quickly.

The probably cause would be a stuck contact in the VR. With the batteries disconnected (very important) you can manipulate the armatures on those three sections to verify they are actually opening the contacts. If you find a stuck one you can separate the contacts with a knife blade, then burnish the contacts.

By the way, any time two batteries are in series they will probably not discharge at the same rate. One will go dead before the other. In an emergency, use a meter to find the dead battery and jump start only it from any 12v source. The second battery will probably do it's job sufficiently.

Last edited:

Rhodesia

Here is how the battery system is set up when I bought the truckvolt systems.JPG
The problem sounds like something on the truck draining the batteries between uses, right? The voltage regulators (VR) on these old generators has typically 3 sections or coils with contacts, one for voltage, one for over-current, and a third for field disconnect. The field contact is supposed to open up when the truck is stopped. If it does not then the batteries drain through the generator windings. in that case the voltage on the system could look correct, and plenty of current is generated, but the batteries drain quickly.

The probably cause would be a stuck contact in the VR. With the batteries disconnected (very important) you can manipulate the armatures on those three sections to verify they are actually opening the contacts. If you find a stuck one you can separate the contacts with a knife blade, then burnish the contacts.

By the way, any time two batteries are in series they will probably not discharge at the same rate. One will go dead before the other. In an emergency, use a meter to find the dead battery and jump start only it from any 12v source. The second battery will probably do it's job sufficiently.

Rhodesia

Say is there a way to polorize the generator to see if it is charging, like connect a wire to the voltage regulator somehow? without taking out the generator to have it bench tested? I bought a new Voltage regulator for the M37 but has not come in the mail yet.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
You really need to try to help yourself. If you read manual TM9-8030 page 255 it tells how to do the polarizing. As a mater of fact read the manual from page 1 to the end of the manual.