• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24 volt to 12 volt converter box

sterlun

Ok I know this is an old topic. I have used the search and read lots of posts but can't find the solution. Hope you guys can help.

I need to pull 12 volt civy trailers with my 818. Where I'm different is this: I CANNOT do mods to the trailers. I'm considering contracting me and my truck to a guy for staging his trailers. We have to have lights because there's about 4 miles of highway to the staging area. So I'll be hooking to multiple trailers that do not belong to me. The mods must strictly be on the truck and, of course, I still want to be able to pull a military trailer. So please, don't start in with the LED and 24 volt bulb suggestions.

I've heard the one about a second 12V alternator but I'm really not too keen on that.

My solution is to build a box that reduces the 24V to 12V. Ideally the box would have the 12 pin male military connector and the 7 pin (I think) male civy connector. I would plug my female military harness into the box, then plug a harness with the 7 pin females on both ends to the box and trailer. In between the two plugs in the box the current would be reduced. The problem is I don't know how to do that.

So, can anyone tell me how to build this box?

Sidenote: I would like to have a 12V power outlet added in the truck for GPS, etc., but this is an afterthought and not the main priority.

Many thanks.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
See post #9 & 11

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/49567-how-can-you-pull-12v-trailer-24v-truck.html

See rmgill's posts

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...g/29142-deuce-vs-civilian-trailer-wiring.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/electrical/42975-24volt-12volt-2.html#post481660

Some additional info on this thread

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/16578-anyone-tow-their-duece.html

and this one

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/53778-deuce-10-000-pounds.html

There are several people here that have built converter boxes and supplied diagrams of what they have done. If the links I supplied don’t get you where you need to be, let us know.

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try REDARC.com, an Australian company that is manufacturing what you are looking for. Be warned,it is not cheap, particularly since the dollar has tanked. Shipping is $80.00, customs duty $27.00 and the unit is $100.00 -----$200.00+ depending on what you order.

SpecialK

I recently Installed a receiver and 7 pin female plug on my Deuce. If you understand how relays work it is very simple. I spent $75.00 and it took about two hours to install.

sterlun

I talked to an old man today that's a lot smarter than I am (most are) and he said I just simply need 3 'center tap' resistors. 1 each for tails, left turn, right turn. He said I need to buy it according to the ohms (clueless). Sounds easy. Anyone got anything to say about this?

m816

My nephew is installing a pyromonometer on my M54. He ordered one and they sent an electric model that is twelve volts. He is now looking for a 24volt Solinoid. He said that if he takes the power form one 12v battery and runs it through the solinoid, it will come out twelve volts and still be protected from frying the 12v pyro I also gain a 12v port to hook up my civi GPS. I think you could use this as a power source to hook into a trailer plug to service your civi trailers. Cost arond forty bucks plus a circuit breaker or inline fuse link and a little wiring. Should work.

sterlun

If you do some research on 24V systems you will find that it is not good juju to pull anything off one battery. You're supposed to keep them both perfectly balanced.

rcflyer70

I used cheap 24v relays powered by the stop, turn, tail light circuits on the truck to supply 12v power to the trailer circuits - tapped of 1 12v battery (I know about charging imbalance issues but have never had an issue - doesn't draw enough current to matter).
I currently have the unit off my M52A2 to install a brake controller (most likely will use a 3.6 ohm 100 watt power resistor to step down the voltage (a 3.6 ohm 50 watt power resistor is used to supply 12v power from 24v on my M-871 trailer).

Attachments

ApopkaFL

Banned
Try REDARC.com, an Australian company that is manufacturing what you are looking for. Be warned,it is not cheap, particularly since the dollar has tanked. Shipping is $80.00, customs duty $27.00 and the unit is $100.00 -----$200.00+ depending on what you order.

if you will pm me linnk for this I dont see how there website what you are talking about

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks