• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24v CUCV Starter

Refalgren

I'm looking for a 24v starter for a 1986 6.2L

I'm thinking the root of my problem is using aftermarket parts.

Does anyone here have one available?

You can also order them through NAPA - it's not in their normal line though, so get someone who knows the parts books backwards and forwards. They have the gear reduction type and the direct drive type. I paid ~$300 for mine after the '24V' gear reduction unit I had went south for the third time. Most places don't know the difference between a 24V starter and a 12V one.

underdog

I bought one of those at www.db-starter-alternator.com
Paid a little less 203 delivered with state sales tax added.
Anyway it seems this starter needs 24 volts to the solenoid also.
My old heap ( M1009 CUCV ) lost the ignition circuit along with the old starter.
So it is getting a wire around job.
My question = How many amps are drawn on the ignition side of the solenoid.
I need to figure this out so i can get an appropriate switch and fuse.
And is it normal for it to take 24volts to energize the starter.
Oh and thanks to ccatlett1984 for reminding about this Forum.

JohnFire

I got one, that came off my M1009 when I converted to 12V. I think it was on the truck for a little over a year when I decided to convert. That was a year ago, and it is just sitting on a shelf. The starter was bought new from advanced auto, not sure when that was cause dad bought it while I was overseas. I was thinking $100 plus shipping.

acetomatoco

I had a 12V one on hand when the aluminum head blew off the 24 volt one.. The 12Volter works fine and spins like heck! Don't crank too long, or the solder will run out!!... I am going to leave it in til it blows and by then the 24 volter should be back from "Charlie's" The local starter generator alternator guy... same guy who isolates the ground on my civvy alternators to make em work in the CUCV s for $35....

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
If anyone need one I was about to place a military rebuilt 24V starter on ebay, but if anyone here wants it $100 plus shipping.

CCATLETT1984

thats a great price. If i didnt have a spare already.....

underdog, get a ford starter relay, then trigger it to send juice to the starter solinoid. that way you can get a cheap switch and never have issues with it again.

Refalgren

bobert: i pretty much have that exact starter (minus the OD and data plate) and the drive gear is too far away from the flexplate to engage it.

went to the truck today at work and put the key in, all electrics came on volt meter is good but no joy on the crank. Nothing happend at all, Im guessing its the starter as I did the dog head a year ago when i got it.

llong66

I had the same problem as above with a starter from Advanced Auto, the nose was to short to let the gears mesh. I ended up going to the dealership to get the right one and believe it or not the were $100 cheaper than advanced, I paid $212 for it, I was shocked.

Keith_J

went to the truck today at work and put the key in, all electrics came on volt meter is good but no joy on the crank. Nothing happend at all, Im guessing its the starter as I did the dog head a year ago when i got it.

Either the solenoid on the starter or the brushes aren't making contact. A problem you can fix at home. But if the commutator shucked a pad, that is a bit more.

CycleJay

Hi guys,

Instead of buying an aftermarket 24v starter.
Why not find a local auto electric shop to rebuild it.

Zout and I know of a shop in the Atlanta area that does great work,
at a fair price, and has been in business for something like 30+ years.

I had done business with them, not too long ago, and I am very happy with
the results.

Pm me for more information...

Vet89

I got my starter and solenoid at O'Reillys - it was about $200. With my M1008 I didn't even need a lift or jackstand - it was in and out in about 45 minutes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks