• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24v generator

dslucas

I am in the process of my deuce camper build, and was wondering if the on-board 24vdc generator would be capable of charging a large 24v deep cycle battery bank. Is it up to the task, or would I need to go with a separate generator?

Darwin T

Are you talking about a larger generator on the engine or a military 24 volt diesel generator? I am adding a 12volt seperate altenator to charge the camper part.

welldigger

I don't think 60 amps will do a whole lot for another bank of batteries. You will need to upgrade to a higher amp alternater.

dslucas

Ok. Thanks, Welldigger. If I do that, I might as well just hook one up with a set of pulleys to a smaller motor. It will use less fuel than idling the deuce for an hour or so.

rustystud

Ok. Thanks, Welldigger. If I do that, I might as well just hook one up with a set of pulleys to a smaller motor. It will use less fuel than idling the deuce for an hour or so.
dslucas, You might consider getting a MEP-531 genset. They have a small Yanmar diesel powering a 24 volt alternator. They put out 2KW of power. I just got 2 three weeks ago for under $250.00.

59apache

Chipmaker
with 2 independant battery banks (one for the truck, one for the camper) you have many options.
1. a larger generator and a battery to battery charger.
2. a second generator for the camper batteries
3. solar panels for the camper
4. a built in charger that hooks on "shore-power" you can use it also with a quality gen set for charging your batteries

or a mix of all....my favorite is a mix of a second alternator and solar panels.

dslucas

Well.....I definately need to keep the battery banks separate. I have 2 12v Optima batteries for starting, but they aren't really designed as deep cycle (The Absorbed Glass Mat type). I am basically planning on running the fridge, lighting, and possibly the AC on two 24v to 110v inverters. I was thinking of using the 6v lifeline AGM batteries in 3 sets of 4 in a series parrallel circuit (meaning 12 of them to get 24v w/ 3 banks). this should run those appliances based on amp hours through the night. I know whether I go with an MEP-531 (which is my favorite option so far), or whether I run an additional alternator, I am going to have to run them for an hour or so a day. My biggest concern with the stock generator, is if it can handle the amperage output required to charge the battery bank. I have read several posts on recoveries on this forum with dead batteries that fried the generator. Deep Cycle batteries are designed to be discharged almost completely, then recharged without damage to the batteries, unlike your average 12v starting batteries. I am liking the combo idea as the solar panels and a smart charger would charge the batteries more thoroughly (floating, I think it was called).

The upside to the Yanmar is that I would only need 1 fuel tank, and it will idle forever and a day on a 51 gallon tank.....using far less than the deuce. The downside is that it isn't multifuel, and that was the largest reason I started this project with a deuce. My original plan, believe it or not, was a 5 ton M923A2.

I have the camper shell almost complete, I will eventually make a seperate thread about that. the internal part of the shell is made of wood and fiberglass insulation, so it is definately going to require a very small heater or AC unit. The outer part of the shell will most likely be welded steel, or fiberglass. I can and will eventually add a "shore power" 110vac to 24v battery charger for when it sits at the farm. The main idea though is to be able to take trips a few weeks at a time with minimal cost in fuel, and off the grid. Just thought I would run the ideas past some of you. I have seen and implemented quite a few very good ideas from alot of members on this forum :)

59apache

Chipmaker
I have the posibilty to switch in the shelter between the 3rd battery (12V) in the truck and 2 deepcycle in the shelter. While i'm driving, i can use the 3rd battery for the fridge aso. Smart charger b2b and a solarsystem with panels and a controller is the plan for the future.

rmgill

Well, the alternator COULD charge the batteries, but you have to look at the charging rate you want. What is your draw for standard operational use? You'll have peak draw and then average draw and then minor draw.

For camping you could be running anything from a fridge to AC to inverters to power electronics or you're minimal and just running lights.

The 60 amp alternator will give you 1440 watts of supply at full draw assuming you're doing nothing else with the truck's electrics. Putting 60 amps into a battery string, depending on size could be a problem for outgassing. You can never draw out as much as you put into a given lead acid battery string without boiling them out and killing them.

See: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/lead_based_batteries

Ideally you could use a 24-24 charger circuit to keep the battery bank trickle charged while trucking down the road to/from the destination. Use a rectifier circuit to allow draw out at higher rates but limit input.

Ideally you could use one of these as your input to the battery string.
http://www.newmarpower.com/DC-DC_Converters_Isolated_Series/DC-DC_Converters_Isolated_Series.html

JasonS

Well.....I definately need to keep the battery banks separate. I have 2 12v Optima batteries for starting, but they aren't really designed as deep cycle (The Absorbed Glass Mat type). I am basically planning on running the fridge, lighting, and possibly the AC on two 24v to 110v inverters. I was thinking of using the 6v lifeline AGM batteries in 3 sets of 4 in a series parrallel circuit (meaning 12 of them to get 24v w/ 3 banks). this should run those appliances based on amp hours through the night. I know whether I go with an MEP-531 (which is my favorite option so far), or whether I run an additional alternator, I am going to have to run them for an hour or so a day. My biggest concern with the stock generator, is if it can handle the amperage output required to charge the battery bank. I have read several posts on recoveries on this forum with dead batteries that fried the generator. Deep Cycle batteries are designed to be discharged almost completely, then recharged without damage to the batteries, unlike your average 12v starting batteries. I am liking the combo idea as the solar panels and a smart charger would charge the batteries more thoroughly (floating, I think it was called).

The upside to the Yanmar is that I would only need 1 fuel tank, and it will idle forever and a day on a 51 gallon tank.....using far less than the deuce. The downside is that it isn't multifuel, and that was the largest reason I started this project with a deuce. My original plan, believe it or not, was a 5 ton M923A2.
You may be able to get away with it but it is best to avoid parallel battery strings. Consider a string of 2V cells instead.

Get a chart outlining the depth of discharge vs number of charge/ discharged cycles for your batteries. It will show that you will dramatically shorten the life of your lead acid batteries if you fully (or close to fully) discharge them. Calculate the lifetime throughput for your intended use at various DoD and pick one that meets your requirements. Most pick somewhere around 50%. You will need a battery management system; look at the trimetric and pentametric; we have had good luck with both.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks