• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24v lights in to a cucv system

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CUCVNUT, Beware the lights are bright as chit. The amp draw is not as bad as I thought. Make sure the ground is secure and good cause I had 1 light with a not so good ground and the wire was getting hot. I redid the ground to a strap and it fixed it.

BTW, your going to like these..!

K9Vic

CUCVNUT, Beware the lights are bright as chit. The amp draw is not as bad as I thought. Make sure the ground is secure and good cause I had 1 light with a not so good ground and the wire was getting hot. I redid the ground to a strap and it fixed it.

BTW, your going to like these..!
Those are LED lights, it does not matter if they are 12v, 24v or 36v they will be the same brightness. Also LED hardly use any amperage and should be about 5 amp, so you do not have to worry about the wires getting hot.

If they where the halogen lights 24v would be brighter compared to 12v, but with LED the brightness is the same regardless of the input voltage.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think all LED lights are multi volt. I have some here that aren't for sure. Maybe check the specs at Trucklight on these.

K9Vic

I don't think all LED lights are multi volt. I have some here that aren't for sure. Maybe check the specs at Trucklight on these.
With Truck Lite if it says 12v it is 12v, 24v it is 24v and so on. They do not make their LED lights in multi-volt like many emergency light manufactures offering 12/24v input. If you have a 12v LED that is not multi-volt and hook up 24v you will likely fry it. It can be the same even with a 24v LED if you hook up 12v, but that is not as likely. SO unless it says 12/24, do not hook up anything other than what is says the input is.

I would hook up a 24v LED to the 24v buss with a relay using 12v and a 12v switch. It is just the better way to go and this is how the starter system is set up from GM on the CUCV.

Cucvnut

On the light it says 24v only i really dont want to mess up a set of nice lights. also which is the 24v bus ? lol time to sell my KC lights.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
On the light it says 24v only i really dont want to mess up a set of nice lights. also which is the 24v bus ? lol time to sell my KC lights.
Ummm, the 24v bus on the firewall in front of the passenger seat. When in doubt, get the volt meter out.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm going to go with the red wire. Top one. Unless someone jacked up the wiring on your truck.

A voltmeter should be in every toolbox when it comes to MV's. I know I've used mine a dozen or so times this week alone.

Cucvnut

I have a volt meter. if you are just telling me to look because you dont know state so dont be a jerk because you dont want to tell me.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm not being a jerk, I'm making statements. Given past discussions about your wiring on your truck that's why I phrased the comment like I did. It SHOULD be the top bar, the one with the RED wire leading into it. Again, SHOULD be. That's why I said use the volt meter to confirm.

Every CUCV I've had has had the 24V bus on top on the passenger side, that's the way they came from the factory.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
nothing is wrong with the wiring on my truck. every stock non messed with cucv should be the same right?
I know in the past we discussed the glow plug wiring, that's why I mentioned it.

That's correct on the second part. The 24V + bus should be on top. It will have red cables leading into it. Black of course is the ground bus below it.

rsh4364

Recently picked up a set of 07392 truck lites, price is way down now.All I need now is the time to get things done.Got mine from MVMULES .Also gonna add a set of 07382s. Now I have to figure out how to wire them up.And I have to reconfigure the laterals on the 1009 brush guard.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks