• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24v on hot side of Fuse Panel???

grayw0lf

I've been tracking down lots of wiring problems & found something odd last night. Besides the back of the fuse panel & the engine side plug all having black crud on the terminals, the right (hot) side of the fuse panel read 27v, where I would have expected 13.5v.

Cleaning up the terminals bought me brake lights & the fan, I'm happy to report.

What is the correct voltage at the fuse panel for the headlight 30a, & other lighting related fuses?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In a stock truck the only fuse that has 24v is the very bottom one. There rest should only have 12v.

It gets the 24v from the 24v Postive Terminal Block. It is a red 12ga wire with a red 16ga fusable link. It is the wire in the second picture and feeds the Gen2 bulb and circuit and the Volt meter on the dash.

Right click on the thumbnail and choose "Open Link in New Window"

Attachments

Last edited:

grayw0lf

Thanks Warthog, I'll have to check that one, something is definately wrong.

Get this.....
All fuses except the bottom one: 24v.
The bottom fuse: 56v

grayw0lf

Come to think of it... Maybe my whole battery setup is dead wrong!!! Please keep in mind I just bought this & I'm new to CUCV's & diesels & I didn't wire it up this way.

If I measure voltage across the outermost battery posts, I get 56v.
If I measure between either of the outer posts & either mid-way battery post, I get 27v.

The batteries are currently arranged + - + -. Positive towards the firewall, negative towards the front of the vehicle.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like your meter is set wrong. You should have 2, 12Volt batteries.

Your readings should be 12, and or 24.

Can you post more info on the batteries in your truck? Maybe post a picture of them?

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What type of voltmeter do you have? Analog or digital? I agree with doghead, sounds like the meter isn't on the right setting.

grayw0lf

I've used the meter many times before, but I had already planned to checking it tonight w/ my other meter to make sure I'm not smoking crack. Both of my meters are digital.

I'd love to find that its just the meter & they didn't somehow double back the 24v side of things. I figure the 56v came about like this... 13.75v x 2 = 27.5v. Somehow double that back & you've got 55v.

I'm also gonna check voltage on the individual batteries. They are the military's green 6TL batteries w/ Insterstate Battery stickers on them. Upon verifyigng they are, in fact, 12v batteries, I'm going to track down every cable according to the diagrams above.

I'll post pics if I don't get it straight tonight.

Here's a question. I had assumed on the Positive Terminal Boards that all terminals were wired together. I didn't drive my truck today, so I can't go & see. If thats so, then how can the Positive from Gen2 connect to the same terminal board as the 24v starter (in accordance with E-9 Charging Cirsuits) ???

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a question. I had assumed on the Positive Terminal Boards that all terminals were wired together. I didn't drive my truck today, so I can't go & see. If thats so, then how can the Positive from Gen2 connect to the same terminal board as the 24v starter (in accordance with E-9 Charging Cirsuits) ???
It magic.........Just don't let the Smoke Jenie out of the bottle.....;-)

On a stock system, the Positive Terminal board has 5 lugs on it. They are all tied togeter with a metal/copper?? bar. The Rear battery positive, Gen2 feed, Gen2 exciter, starter, Glow plugs and ICE/STE are all connected there.

The starter will not engage until the ignition switch is turned and the starter relay is closed, which energizes the starter solenoid.

SmokeyDod

You proably know this, but when checking any of the wiring/fuse panel, you should set your volt meter, if it's the type that you have to set range of volts on. DON"T set it on just 20V because if you run into volts over 20v you can get an erroronous reading. I always set my cheapo voltmeter on next highest up which happens to be 200VDC.

Crash_AF

There is one other place on the fuse box that has 24V, it is an accessory terminal that you can push a male spade terminal into. I'll take a pic of my fuse box and circle it to show where it is tomorrow.

Later,
Joe

grayw0lf

I hate to admit it, but it was idiot (user) error w/ the meter. Daylight, a clear mind (no beer), & a different meter yielded different results. These were much more in tune w/ what was expected.

Still fighting the rotted wire / bad connection gremlins though!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate to admit it, but it was idiot (user) error w/ the meter. Daylight, a clear mind (no beer), & a different meter yielded different results. These were much more in tune w/ what was expected.

Still fighting the rotted wire / bad connection gremlins though!
I think we have all been there, done that. Glad you figured it out.

If you have specific gremlins, let us know and we might be able to help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks