• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24v Solargizer Output 44 - 46v?

SteveKuhn

I jjust wanted to make sure this new unit is working so put a Fluke on the [unconnected] terminals and the unit gave several readings between 44 - 46v. The Solargizer is marked 24v.

That seemed high unless the low amps offset it. I was expecting it to be something like an alternator at about +/- 28v.

Does that seem right to anyone? Any observations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is probably correct operation. I believe the Solargizer takes the output from the small solar panel (only 4 or 5 volts) and generates a pulse to apply to the battery. The only way to know exactly what is hitting the battery would be to have the Solargizer hooked up to the battery and watch the solargizer connection with a 'scope.

A digital voltmeter will not do well measuring a pulse. An analog meter would hardly respond. The tendency is to read the peak voltage, but whatever shows up on the meter from a short pulse would not mean much.

Just my 2c worth,

Bob

I jjust wanted to make sure this new unit is working so put a Fluke on the [unconnected] terminals and the unit gave several readings between 44 - 46v. The Solargizer is marked 24v.

That seemed high unless the low amps offset it. I was expecting it to be something like an alternator at about +/- 28v.

Does that seem right to anyone? Any observations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve

SteveKuhn

Thanks all. It has been on the truck for about 3 weeks and there's been no reason for concern. However, with items like this from EBay where its operation is transparent, I wanted to make sure something was happening. I was surprised when I saw the reading. The explanation and especially getting seconds from others who have seen the same thing without bad consequences is extremely useful.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've measured as high as 52 volts when laid out flat and the sun overhead. As has been said, it is a pulse of high voltage at low amperage that makes them work. I have units that were made without the LED's, so they must have had some problems with them and just decided to drop them from production.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know where I can get a few of these...? I have looked around a while ago and gave up. What is a fair price for a set.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ones on E-Pay were blue in color and did not look mil-spec. I thought they were Chinese knock off's

Kasper31

I have two of them a 12v and a 24v, one on a Chev truck 12v system the other one on my M-37 24v, when they were not hooked to the batteries they read hi-voltages ( I did this to check them when they were new ), when on their batteries they read normal, they've been on them for a year and a half and are working very well. The chev truck sits for 4-6 months a year and will start up with no problems.
Kasper31

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They can also be solid black and black with a white stripe (IE, no red). In that case the solid black in negative, and the striped is positive (Per an e-mail from Solargizer a couple of years ago).

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a green one from egay for $30 or so. I also saw new ones on GL's retail site unclesamsretailoutlet for about $150.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks