• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24V to 12V convertor FEELER

JasonS

I working on a 24V to 12V 5A DC-DC convertor and would like to know if there is any market/interest on this group. It will accecpt an input of 5 to 32V and output a regulated 12V.

JasonS

This is really just a feeler to gauge interest. While I haven't put together costing yet, i expect that it will be less expensive than the current offerings from other suppliers. Will 5 amps serve most people? This should be enough to operate most small radios, cell phone chargers, CBs, etc. How about flying leads versus terminal strips?

rice

I purchased one off ebay several months ago. Up to 32 volts input with 20 amp 12 volt continuous duty output for around $45. I'll see if I can find the info on it.

Jones

Got mine out of an outfit in Australia. 20-32 VDC input, 13.8 VDC output at 40 amps continuous duty/45 amps surge; fully regulated so I can charge an onboard 12 volt battery too. Paid $160.00 but I figure it isn't something I'll need to worry about overworking.

DrFoster

Uh - I've got a military 24-12 OR 110-24/12 power supply. Military stuff. Nice tank interior lime green... If you need one, let me know. These are so frequent and popular, you can find them almost anywhere.

Althought it's noble to offer one, it is much easier to get one that is already made - unless you are offering a custom size or something.

Not trying to thread shi+. Just giving an honest opinion.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is what mine looks like (box with heatsink). It's a linear voltage regulator for super clean power (no switching reg w/associated noise).
It's a "Point Of Load" regulator, homemade and supplies 3 Amps max.
I have had requests for a circuit diagram and will post it when ready (=redrawn).

Attachments

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've purchased a few things from Frank. I called him and actually got as good a price, if not better than what he sells on ebay.

He took about ten bucks off an M151 rubber boot set.

I think I'll call them later today about this one.

Thx for the heads up.

jim

rmgill

Art Bloom sells some units as well. I needed one in a hurry though and he wasn't able to get them in time sadly. The one I ended up buying is open, so if I go fording too deep, I'll short it out. So, I'll eventually have to order a sealed unit and relegate this one to the S250 camper project.

Just out of curiosity, could a solar battery charger mounted on the roof/hood/back of cab keep a small motorcycle battery charged enough for use inside the cab for a radio?
I would think a CD player or tape deck with a motor would draw it down faster than a radio or CB Radio - never mind the 500 watt linear amplifier.

mangus580

Gary, I have picked up a 400watt 24v to 110v inverter, that I intend to use to run a 1amp trickle charger against a 12v battery when running.... (roundabout way, but it was cheap ;-) )

hot rod deuce

Any one stumble into any "cheap" (less than the 500$ mark) 12 up to 24 volt gizmos? I realy like the 12 volt system as far as parts laying around and service but i wana run 24 volt ratios.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The guy on ebay is Franks Surplus. If you call him, he will sell you one for $50. At least that's what I purchased one from him for.

It's the 24v convertor to 12v made for the military. He said he uses his for CB and his stereo radio.

And Frank is a REALLY nice guy and has been excellent to do business with. Tell him you are from SS and he has taken a few bucks off whatever I've purchased from him.

I highly recommend Frank's Surplus. He has joined SS and will start listing things here shortly. Though he has said him and computers are not the best of friends. I told him that if he needed any computer help, just call me.

jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks