• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24VDC Generator Update

Carter

My friend Ralph gave this set to me yesterday and I'd like to know what model it is, what TM goes with it and anything else you can tell me about it. The data plates are difficult to read and the fuel system is clogged with old crud from sitting for years with gas in the tank, pump and carb. What is a good solvent to use that won't disolve system parts or stop it up worse than it is now? I'll take it apart and clean it just need to know with what. Thanks for looking. Carter

I finally got it running. The entire fuel system was full of a tar like substance smelling of stale gasoline which required the removal of the tank, lines, pump, selector valve and the carb.Took the carb and pump completely apart and thoroughly cleaned them by soaked everything in denatured alcohol for several days, the alcohol really was the only thing that I found would disolve the accumulation then, brushed them clean, blew all the now semi-liquid goo out with compressed air. After making new gaskets and reassembling it all and installing new spark plugs I got it to run but had to take the carb apart again to get the float level correct. Now it runs well, BUT the voltage adjusting variable resistor is burned out so it makes voltage just not adjustable voltage :twisted: So I'm on the hunt for a resistor for this MEP-025A anybody got an extra :?: Carter

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: 24VDC Generator Questions

That is a nice generator for starting trucks or running military radios. I think if you burnish the data plate you might be able to read the model number. I have used laquer thinner for that before with good results.

beaubeau

RE: 24VDC Generator Questions

When it comes to old gas systems, and even everyday, I like to put Mystery oil through the msystem. good cleaning material and once U got the system clean enough to put gas through. run the same stuff with UR gas and cleans the valves also. Good luck phil

Carter

Re: RE: 24VDC Generator Questions

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
That is a nice generator for starting trucks or running military radios. I think if you burnish the data plate you might be able to read the model number. I have used laquer thinner for that before with good results.
Yeah, burnishing usually does work but in this case it 's the reason I can't read the info, the plates are silk screened paint over unstamped aluminum and somebody has burnished the paint off so I'm kind of stuck. The only number I can see is the stamped ser.no. and the date of mfgr. 11/68
Carter

Carter

Re: RE: 24VDC Generator Questions

beaubeau said:
When it comes to old gas systems, and even everyday, I like to put Mystery oil through the msystem. good cleaning material and once U got the system clean enough to put gas through. run the same stuff with UR gas and cleans the valves also. Good luck phil
Thanks Phil, I'll give it a shot, never thought of Marvel Mystery Oil, seen it added to gas but didn't think about cleaning with it. One question though, UR gas? Unleaded regular?

Michael

RE: Re: RE: 24VDC Generator Questions

I believe the TM is TM 5-6115-323-14 and TM 5-6115-323-24P which are on this site even though the pictures looks like TM 5-6115-326-15:

Link to TM's for this set:

Last edited by a moderator:

Carter

Re: RE: Re: RE: 24VDC Generator Questions

Michael said:
I believe the TM is TM 5-6115-323-14 and TM 5-6115-323-24P which are on this site even though the pictures looks like TM 5-6115-326-15:

http://steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=1&fid=file&pid=115
http://steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=1&fid=file&pid=116
Thanks, that's great. I am able to read the TM # but after a search was not able to find anything listed that seemed to be correct for this set and wasn't sure the numbers were the right ones using my old tired eyes so you have helped a lot. Do you know what the differences are between the TM 5-6115-323-14 and TM 5-6115-326-15 gen.sets are?
I have removed the entire fuel system to clean, every thing is full of tar and will need find out the carb float setting, idle/air screw setting and tips for doing routine PM so thanks again for the info, I'll ck. out the links. Carter

Carter

Re: RE: Re: RE: 24VDC Generator Questions

There should be a TM 9-2805-257-14, but I couldn't find it on logsa, it might be on this site.[/quote]
Michael, I never thought about the LO and parts books, most likely will need at least a carb kit, just not thinking I guess. I'll need every reference but was only wondering about my inability to find and download TM info. and what I was doing wrong. Thanks for the tip, certainly will need all the correct info. Thank you for your help. Carter

Last edited by a moderator:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry but I just don't see the problem here... :?
Your dataplate clearly shows the NSN 6115-00-017-8236. That corresponds to the MEP-025A 28V DC generator.
The correct TM is the one mentioned: TM 5-6115-323-14 (-14P), also TO 35C2-3-385-1.
That manual covers both the 60Hz AC and the DC units.

G.

Carter

gringeltaube said:
Sorry but I just don't see the problem here... :?
Your dataplate clearly shows the NSN 6115-00-017-8236. That corresponds to the MEP-025A 28V DC generator.
The correct TM is the one mentioned: TM 5-6115-323-14 (-14P), also TO 35C2-3-385-1.
That manual covers both the 60Hz AC and the DC units.

G.
I was not able to see the numbers on the plate clearly( old glasses and eyes) but once I saw them after they were posted and enlarged on the monitor I searched and was not able to find any info. Thought I was seeing the TM number wrong or it was wrong on the plate or didn't know what I was doing with my search. Of course you are correct that the numbers are readable I was just not getting it and wanted some conformation that what I was seeing was correct. Glad you dont see a problem, but I do have trouble seeing, be happy you don't.

Michael

I know what you mean about the eyes. :) The manual was probably updated at some point in time from when the data plate was printed and now.

jimmcld

I used Mystery oil to lubricate a bunch of pneumatic tools. It worked great until it started drying out leaving a thick residue behind. I had to replace all the o-rings in a bunch of tools and cylinders.

Carter

I ordered a complete new control box from Army Surplus Warehouse and installed it as the price for new was about double what a reostat would have cost including shipping and I got all new control parts, wiring ect. Seemed worth it to me to have all new. Works great now, 28.5 vdc and adjustable from 20 to 40 volts. Carter
Edit. spelling :oops:

Carter

jimmcld said:
I used Mystery oil to lubricate a bunch of pneumatic tools. It worked great until it started drying out leaving a thick residue behind. I had to replace all the o-rings in a bunch of tools and cylinders.
I used xylene to soak the carb, pump, lines and tank which softened all the brown gasoline tar goop then blew everything out with air and now have it all reassembled and running smoothly. Didn't try MMO because I had none on hand but did have xylene and it worked well with no damage to anything. Denatured alcohol got most but not all the crud and I had to remove everything and clean it all again but not it finally is free of crud that had stopped it up again after running a short time. Doing it all twice was a pain :evil: but that's what I had to do to make it trouble free and run right. Carter

Edit: The rest of the story.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks