• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

251 in the American M37

m376x6

The administartors closed the thread because it actually belongs in the classifieds. By reading the post I have questions. It states it has a 251. These were used in the Canadian versions. Because the 251 is 2 inches longer than the stock US M37 235cuin engine, the folks in the north had a slightly different truck. The radiator was moved forward and an extension for the hood was grafted on as well as other small diferences to account for the longer block. As I looked at the pictures of this truck, I see no modifications to either the length of the hood or the firewall and/or the position of the transmission stickshift. How does one fit a 25 inch long block in a 23 inch long compartment? It has been a long time since I owned a Canadian version, my memory might be skewed (perhaps failing). Are there any folks such as CitizenSoldier or others who are very familiar with these trucks and still own them who would care to chime in? Thanks

Regards,
M376X6

zak

I believe the only difference is the front motor mounts moved foward, 10" clutch, and the radiator moved foward. There was no top sheet metal peice to cover the radiator top. And the different trans and pto. The hood is the same.

Attachments

Bill W

You can fit one in to a american 37 but you have to take out the fan spacer so fan doesn't hit the rad, changing out belts is a challenge as you have very little room left up front

Last edited:

m376x6

Thanks Guys, I must have had an odd Canadian M37. The radiator had been moved forward and an odd extension had been added to the hood end cap to cover the relocated radiator top shroud. It appeared all factory with all the standard Canadian trimmings. For folks looking to add some additional power without going to a lengthy modification like a V8 swap is the 251 a relatively easy changeover? I have a shop with all the goodies so a V8 conversion is no big deal, but for some folks, this might be an easy upgrade. Thanks for comments.

Regards,
M376X6

zak

Other than drilling new front mounting holes and changing the radiator mounts, it will bolt up. Some flywheels were drilled for both size clutches. I think finding the canadian trans might be a problem.

Steel Rain

Where did you find the 251? I am in the process of procuring an M37 and I will definitely want more power than stock for hiway speeds over 55! Thanks guys! Awesome site, glad I stumbled on it!
Art

m376x6

Exploring Junk Yards

It may sound odd to some folks, but taking tours of junk yards can be very helpful, entertaining, and informative. I love the yards where there are old treasures that didn't fall prey to the recent spike in scrap prices. I love to pop the hood on all Dodge trucks, looking for that hidden treasure of an unmolested Hemi sitting there. You'll find flat head Mopars in a lot of trucks and cars even up through the late 60's model years. There is a lot of information you can find on the old flat heads. The main difference is in the length of the blocks. The 230 engine in the M37 that came stock in the US, the T241, was the shorter of the two blocks. Much like the main difference between the Mopar big block is the B and RB engines. The RB stood for Raised Block, and allowed a longer stroke to get to the higher cubes such as the 426 and 440. You're lucky in that the Gents on here who have the long block flatties in the M37's are very helpful and can provide pics if details are called for. Good luck. In all probability you'll find what many of us have, The M37, and others in that size class that are tactical in base design, are the ideal balance between size and capacity. But be warned, owning a Deuce or 5 Tonner can be adicting!

Regards,
M376X6

Steel Rain

hey 6, thanks for the tips, I wish there was a junkyard close that I could go exploring in. The closest "pick and pull" junkyard is relegated to 1970's to late 90's cars and trucks. I have considered other "non standard" swaps, but they seem far more involved than I'm willing to put in at this point! I definitely would like more power though so any help is welcomed and appreciated!
Art

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are looking at engine swaps, have you seen uglytruckling.com ? I just installed their disk brakes and am totally impressed. Upgraded master cylinder is next. They also have power steering kits and 318 swaps.:wink:

citizensoldier

Looks like Zak filled you in on most points. My Canadian is the same as his as far as just new motor mounts drilled in the frame and the radiator moved forward. No changes in the hood or sheet metal in anyway.
I try and save any old flatheads I can they are getting VERY scarce exspecially the 251 or the 265 spitfire engines.. Scrap prices killed allot of them in the last few years. So if you find them guys try and save them if you can they might just pay off better than the stock market in coming years.. lol..
As far as what Zak said a Canadian ACME transmission would be very hard to find but the later civi PowerWagon ran a 11" clutch with the bigger 1 3/8 input shaft so I would try for one of them. I found a 5 speed out of a bigger grain truck that I think I can make work just have to shorten the shaft from trans to Tcase. A 265 Spitfire is next on a project truck I have here but its down the line of money and dreams..

poppop

Hello Lane

I just acquired an old 50's Dodge D500 military truck. It has a flathead engine and says spitfire on top of the head. Would that be a 265???

citizensoldier

Hello Lane

I just acquired an old 50's Dodge D500 military truck. It has a flathead engine and says spitfire on top of the head. Would that be a 265???
Probably poppop! Get the numbers off the block and I can tell you what it is. I think they made a 237 and 251 Spitfire also but most likely its the 265 in a D500.. The others were mostly car engines if my two brain cells are correct. Does it have a dump bed? If so it might have the same 5 speed Borg Warner I found and rear facing PTO that is great for a dump M37. Is this going to be for sale or do I see a tricked out M37 dump truck in your future? LOL..

poppop

Lane, a farmer had this truck and had put a steel peanut drying body on it. I will have to crawl ubder and see if there is a PTO on the trans, but I dought it. A friend of mine had it and was going to scrap it, says it ran good a couple years ago and had 6 new, well 6 or 8 year old new tires. He gave it to me to pull it away. I would love to have an M37 some day, so never can tell what might happen.:-D

citizensoldier

Well if you plan on having a M37 some day I would pull it ,fill the cylinders,wrap it up and set it in your storage shed..:wink: Did you look at that site? We should be able to identify it if the numbers are on it. I have seen a few that the numbers were missing though.

m376x6

hey 6, thanks for the tips, I wish there was a junkyard close that I could go exploring in. The closest "pick and pull" junkyard is relegated to 1970's to late 90's cars and trucks. I have considered other "non standard" swaps, but they seem far more involved than I'm willing to put in at this point! I definitely would like more power though so any help is welcomed and appreciated!
Art
Yeah, we have those pick and pull places here as well, pretty much worthless for the years we're talking about. I like the ones in or near small towns or out in the farm lands, but again, hopefully they didn't take advantage of the scrap prices when they hit highs awhile back. I'll keep my eyes open for the flat heads. I found a very large flat head V8 in a Dodge bus awhile back. I don't believe it was a ford engine. It has crossed my mind a few times out of curiosity as to what a flat head V8 would be doing in Dodge school bus. I'll have to investigate further when I get back down there.

Regards,
M376X6

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks