• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2740lbs in an M101A2

Ratch

I just picked up a load of gravel, and they accidentally over loaded it. Figured I'd grab the opportunity to take pics and post them here, since we often talk about how much more the equipment can handle than it's rated to handle.
I don't believe my springs are worn at all. This trailer barely had a scratch when I bought it, and my use has not been demanding.
The surge brakes were super helpful. I barely felt it when stopping, but could feel it when slowing on turns and the trailer brakes didn't apply proportionally.
Overall, it still towed well, but I could see the drawbar flexing a little as I drove around. Not comfortable.

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have easily loaded an A1 with over 3k of cut timber. The rubber comes up to about where yours did.

Keith_J

I had a yard of 3/4-dust road base in a 1101, looked about the same volume. That was 2500 pounds. Towed easily behind my 1031 SECM. Well, save pulling it up hills at highway speed.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did not weigh the trailer m101a2 but I picked up a Hemett transfer case in shipping container with 3 mrap wheels with rubber run flats. According to GL weights, I was well over 3000 from Ft. Polk to New Orleans.

Handled like a dream with the surge brakes & gas charged replacement shocks. No issues whatsoever. Hand crank was straining a little when I parked it getting it off the hitch.

All was good :)

Ratch

Yeah, I had to use a floor jack to unhitch, I don't have a crank landing leg on it. I should have grabbed the crank leg off the trailer I sold, but I didn't have a handle and never used it...

I Wasn't watching it with the backup cam, but I was watching the rack in alignment with my truck window, and the movement of the length-wise rack. I could tell when the bar flexed by slight movement of the aligned rack, no movement of the rear window, and forward dipping of the side racks inconsistent with a suspension bounce. Kinda complicated to explain, but it felt right. It might've been not drawbar flex, too. oo.

Ratch

I've hauled gravel a dozen times before in the same setup, but I don't think I ever went over 2000lbs. This time they accidentally overloaded it.

I've probably hauled about or more than 3k in other equipment, etc, too.

I'd have higher expectations for an A3. The axles on the A3 look like they'll take a 5-ton parked on them, even if the rest of the trailer can't handle it.

BTW, I was using Load Range D tires, 235/85R16, at 60psi. Not stock, but same as stock.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just don't try to dump it with that much weight in it. They really shouldn't be dumped at all but especially not overloaded.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCN0003.jpgDSCN0010.jpg I hauled a load down to Washington, about the same weight. The tire didn't like it much. I took the picture, after replacing the tire. I thought the spring would fail, but it didn't. In fact I regained its original shape, and is still in service.

wvu dodge

Still can't post pictures. Tried resizing down to 75kb....even tried NOT resizing, believe it or not. Still a no go.

I've hauled 4,000 lb in my M101A1, but never on the road. Also converted mine into a real hydraulic dump trailer, and was able to dump it. Would like nothing more than to post pictures, but you'll have to take my word for it because I can't make it happen.

I've hauled dirt up to the bedsides, and firewood up to the top of the sideboards. Straightened out the springs each time, but still dumped it.

MarcusOReallyus

Yeah, I had to use a floor jack to unhitch, I don't have a crank landing leg on it. I should have grabbed the crank leg off the trailer I sold, but I didn't have a handle and never used it...

A farm jack works great for that. I've mounted mine on the side of the trailer, supported by the fender and held on by a couple of 5/16" carriage bolts. Works great. I'm going to swap the nuts for wing nuts, and add an eye bolt so I can put a cable lock on it.

I have had 60 bags of mulch on mine, a half dozen times, plus the pallet. 60# each bag. That's 3600# plus.

No problem at all. Not bottomed, not even bothered.

Last edited:

sggoat

oak logs.jpgI hauled a load of oak logs a while back(M101A2)--didn't even flex the springs that much. I usually pick up 2 yds of planting dirt for the garden--if it's wet-now that pushes it down - sometimes to the bumpers-still tracks true.
Had a neighbor tell me the left rear tire looked like it was wobbling--I checked the wheel and didn't see or feel any loosness in the wheel or bearing, but to be safe, where could I get a set of wheel bearings for this, if I need them?

Last edited:

Ratch

I've probably overloaded it with logs before, too, but never had it weighed. This time, I just happened to have it weighed. I think looking at the gravel load, I'd not have expected it to be 2700 lbs.

KaiserM109

... The surge brakes were super helpful. I barely felt it when stopping, but could feel it when slowing on turns and the trailer brakes didn't apply proportionally.
Overall, it still towed well, but I could see the drawbar flexing a little as I drove around. Not comfortable.
Thanks for the info. I have some experience with my M101A1 (no surge brake) which I bought with no hubs or tongue and built up to match the 5 on 51/2 bolt pattern for my Bronco. I've run it with what I estimated (very roughly) at around 3000 lb. with spring depression very close to yours. It really tossed my Bronco around and was not very safe. I have a pull-off surge brake that I plan to install.

I recently bought an M101A2 with surge brakes. I hauled a transmission and 2 tires and wheels for my M923 (2000# by my guess) on the interstate at 65 and was impressedd with how it handled. I had a similar experience with it in turns, but it really beats the M101A1 in the same conditions. My homemade tongue on my M101A1 is probably stronger than the one on the M101A2.

Thanks for your info.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks