• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

289 mile road trip

APM215

I'm planning on driving a M35a2 on a small road trip 289 mile's and was wondering what type of fuel mileage I should be getting? I read thru the TM's and 5-6 mpg doesn't seam realistic. This is all highway driving and I'm just trying to figure out how much fuel is going to cost.
The truck is a turbo multi fuel and is stock with no canvas or bows.
Any help would be great.
Also what are some good things to bring with me with out filling the truck with every conceivable part or tool.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bring a cell phone and an American Express card :wink:

The mileage figures given above are good, it all depends on how hard you push it. The closer you stay to 2100 -2200 RPM the better fuel economy you will get. Have tires aired up of course. I have never got the 12 MPG that some report, and I have had trips where I got 5 MPG, but that is with big tires, fuel turned up, and pushing it hard.

Basic hand tools, some oil and coolant are all I have ever needed. A friend with a deuce and a towbar on call are also handy just in case. :-D

APM215

Bring a cell phone and an American Express card :wink:

The mileage figures given above are good, it all depends on how hard you push it. The closer you stay to 2100 -2200 RPM the better fuel economy you will get. Have tires aired up of course. I have never got the 12 MPG that some report, and I have had trips where I got 5 MPG, but that is with big tires, fuel turned up, and pushing it hard.

Basic hand tools, some oil and coolant are all I have ever needed. A friend with a deuce and a towbar on call are also handy just in case. :-D
Thanks for the help, I'm planning on having a chase vehicle and too good friends on hand.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed and praying that it will go smooth:-D

roscoe

Should be an easy trip. I made two 280 mile trips to pick up a couple of trailers this fall. I got about 7 mpg average, including towing the trailers back. One trailer had the cover on also. I didn't shut the truck down and this includes idle time while changing out a flat tire on one of the trailers.

Snake

Batavia, IL / Pembine, WI

Just finished a 300mi trip after Christmas in the cold. I made one stop half way to top off the tank and added 24.5 gal. The whole trip consumed aprox 50 gallons
and 1qt oil. I was also hauling a M105A2 trailer with my new MEP701A Generator on board. Destination...My cabin in the woods! All but 60 miles was 4 lane and drove 55mph all the way. Only recommendations...A good set of ear plugs and dress warm.

army_nurse

I recently drove from my home to my brothers house with a load of wood, the entire bed loaded with 44 inch logs 6 feet high. i used aprox 60 gal of fuel. the trip is 235 miles each way and the 60 gal was for round trip. so aprox 7 mpg. that is with stock tires and keeping at aprox 2300 on the rmp's. as stated above good set of ear plugs and dress warm. i had a blast on the trip and had no problems at all. may you h ave a safe trip and enjoyable trip.

God Bless America and may his hand be on our troops

5 ton monster

It's much better to not worry about the mileage and just enjoy the trip and the attention you're going to get driving that thing, I stop every 3 hours or so and top off the tanks while traveling. I figue I'll enjoy the trip more not thinking about THAT and knowing what horrible mileage I'm actually getting and that I can drive my full sized P/U for 1/3 of the cost which I use to consider bad till I bought my 5 ton.

tm america

i get 14mpg on mine but i have 15.5s on my truck .when i had stock tires it was more like 9-10.and there is no way you can drive any other vehicle for cheaper.since you can run these trucks off of free waste oil. .gotta love the multi fuel.i only get 12mpg on my dodge truck which is 1/3 as heavy as my deuce:roll:

APM215

Is it realistic to plan on making only one stop for fuel?
How big is the tank anyway?
How cold is it in a rag top in the winter?
The truck has a heater but how good do they work?
Like should I wear snow pants and a parka cinda cold?
I'm Canadian so I have a good threshold for cold but wind chill is cold no mater who you are!

stumps

I'm Canadian so I have a good threshold for cold but wind chill is cold no mater who you are!
Don't try! You need to stop to keep an eye out for dragging brakes, shedding tire treads, hot axle bearings, .... Besides, there are few things more inaccurate than deuce fuel gauges. It is very annoying to run out of fuel on an exit ramp... Ask me how I know!

The tank is 50 gallons in size, but it holds about 45 gallons of fuel maximum. You don't want to fill it to the neck because the fuel gets hot from being circulated through the engine injectors, and expands... and you don't want to run it all the way down because it won't draw if you are on a slant... like an exit ramp.

My "rag top" is insulated, so it isn't really the issue in the cold. The leaking air everywhere is the issue.

There are different heaters. The artic fuel burning stuff gets too hot. The hot water driven heater is pretty anemic. Dress warm, you can always shed extra clothes, or open the windshield a bit.

-Chuck

Scarecrow1

I would carry a spare everything to wear just in case the worst happens . I learned to put a extra coat and a pair of gloves in the truck , because it did not cost a thing to have it along .....:-D:-D:-D

roscoe

I have the winter front on mine and it hasn't gotten cold yet. Actually, I usually open the window a bit. Its been in the teens around here. There dosen't seem to be much difference in the hard top or soft top insulation. They both let in a bit of fresh air.:grin: I agree with stumps, don't let the tank get low. I also ran out on an exit ramp with 1/8th tank. It took two hours to get some fuel (take the spare can with you). Its a good idea to take warm clothes in the winter regardless of what your driving. My wife had a flat on her 2009 mitsubishi yesterday, about an hour from home by deuce.

APM215

Well I made it back with no problems. The trip was just over 300 miles. The truck ran like a champ @55mph stopping every too hours just to check on things but never had any thing that required any attention.
The heater was not adequate at -14F so I froze my nut$ off.
Ran Diesel only and used $95 on fuel which I was pleased with.
Sorry no pictures of the trip. I snapped this one the next day.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks