• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

28V 1.5kW genset MEP-015? specs/TM?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can anyone help? I'm looking for some info (specifications, TM) for the 28V, 1.5kW 2cyl. gas eng. military gensets. I think it's the MEP-015 model, might be able to take a look tomorrow. There are several (sitting for at least 10 years!), new or rebuilt, for less than 300.- ea.
Anything to look at?

Thanks in advance.
Gerhard

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
gringeltaube said:
I think it's the MEP-015 model...
Correction! It's the MEP-025A, 24-28V, DC only, 58A, 1.5kW.
Specified manual is TM-6115-313-15. Searched at LOGSA, no results! Any other possible source for info?
Anyone with some experience, dos & don'ts?

Went to see them today, very nice, brand new, manuf. 1982, still in their boxes! What do they cost at surplus dealers in USA?

Gerhard

NEIOWA

mangus580 said:
check Logsa, I know its there. :)

shipping would be a killer, but I sure would like one :)
Very true. But them still have the problem of reasonable priced slave cables.

NEIOWA

I'm going w/slave cables when I can find some. I've got a very heavy set of jumper cables and NOT up to starting a HET.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Genset MEP-025A

Well, finally I made a good deal (I think): got 6 units at $240.- ea.
They all are gov. rebuilt (at TEAD, ’80), still in their original boxes, never used after that, some even had the manual I was looking for! (TM 5-6115-323-14)
I could easily fix some minor details like fabricating a new teflon seat for one carb. that was flooding and replacing the rotten fuel hose on another one. Now they all run great. (Still wish I had the TM 5-2805-257-14 (A) which covers the 3 HP engine) Logsa…?

One of my intended uses was the alternative charging of large battery banks (400 Ah and up) in residential solar and wind powered systems. The only problem I see is that the current output (Amps) is not regulated, just limited by the circuit breaker to avoid an overload condition.
I.e., setting the voltage at 28V to charge a large battery which came down to 25V is not possible because the load current immediately rises to a level far beyond the allowed capability, almost killing the engine until the switch finally cuts open.
So it looks that I still have to figure out some kind of additional electronic to have it work for hours at max. 54 A, without correcting load voltage all the time. Or may be modifying the shunt to get a higher initial resistance value?
Any suggestions?

Mike: Once a year they have these US Navy – local navy exercises called UNITAS, usually some of the US ships stay in Montevideo for a short visit. The marines are always participating in those maneuvers. I used to have a good friend there, he was a DI. All I know is they could buy almost anything and take it back as “souvenir”.
If you had any connections that would be the cheapest way, by far! :D

Gerhard

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks