• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2a Replacement Air intake manafold

n5yzv

Hi all. Anybody come up with a modern air intake manifold? Mine is missing. Not that I need it much here in South Texas, but who knows, it might ACTUALLY rain one day.
I need go get this thing out of the garage, so with my trailer getting closer to drag the bastard out, I need to start thinking of weatherizing it.

Oh, and I am also curious how others are moving their unit. I don't have heavy equipment, just a big Dodge 3500. I am not opposed to building something special for it, but I don't want to miss the boat on a good idea.

Thanks!

Mark

coyote62ny

if you are talking about a mep-002a call tom at gulf coast truckshis office number is 1-218-422-3200 cell 1-832-323-1445 his prices are reasonable as well and he is also in texas not shure of the town

coyote62ny

i put my mep-003 on a popup camper frame i welded two lengths of 2x2 1/4 wall square tubing across the frame with the gen set centered over the axel and bolted the gen set to the 2x2 steel tubing with 1/2 inch grade 8 bolts i used 4 bolts 3 inches long with washers cut from 1/4 inch plate steel i think i cut the washers 1 1/2 inches square works real well towes great i also have an 18 gallon boat fuel tank across the frame under the engine for extra fuel hard wood planks 2 niches thick bolted to the frame for the floor to keep road grime off the gen set

n5yzv

Thanks all.
I have considered just leaving it on the skids, and plan to have my trailer accommodate the skid loading process. I'll probably make some special ramps that has built in rollers. I'll use a 12V ATV winch on the trailer. The problem is the "get it off" part. Short of backing up to a tree or some other "semi-immovable" object, I am at a loss. One idea is to extend the ramp with rollers onto the trailer bed and have it all rest on rollers. This way I could just unstrap it and let roll off.
I don't plan to move it often, but I sure would like a reasonable plan.

Keith_J

Oh, there IS a way! I am using a tie-down winch which uses webbing. Has about 4 feet of pull before resetting so it is slow but it works.

At the rear of the trailer, I have a 4" wide roller, about 1" in diameter. Route the strap around this roller and hook the generator at the front cross-member. It will slide off the trailer.

My roller is a piston wrist pin with a bolt as the bearing.

Keith_J

I've yet to take pictures of that part, here is my trailer:

The strap is rated for a 2000 pound load, it threads down between the slats and over the roller which is welded to the rear most trailer cross member, then to the forward most cross member of the generator. The aluminum skids slide easily on the wood but being ACQ wood (treated), storage on the trailer isn't a good idea. The copper in the wood corrodes aluminum rapidly.

Of course the winch also loads the generator. I am working on a wagon cart for the generator. I'm using 10" pneumatic casters, front steering and rear fixed. I have steering knuckles welded to the front casters and a draw bar link so it steers. The rears are under the engine and slightly over-loaded so phase ii will be installing a 2-speed w/ reverse transaxle good for 800 pounds AND driven with a 1/2 Hp, 24 volt electric motor (also reversible). For tires and wheels, I'm going with a 10" wide, 13.5 OD turf tire.

Attachments

Last edited:

n5yzv

You are defiantly getting my thoughts processing.

I am converting a 18' bass boat trailer. Total deck length will be 14' x 6'. I bought a mig welder (with argon) and picked up a mess of angle 2" x 3/16" for the frame build and supports. I hope to have plenty of this extra for ramps. If not, another trip to Metal Mart will take care of that.
I need a general utility trailer, so I figure that would be a first necessity. Then I too was thinking of a heavy duty cart. Something I can put behind my riding lawn mower..or with a different tongue, my dually (low speed of course).
Now that I have a welder I have many more options. I hope to fire it up this weekend. I didn't know the skids on that generator were aluminum. I guess hence why they are not rusted. ;-)

I have some before pics, I'll take some of the process and post the progress. I want to keep it flatbed so if I wish, I can have a forklift load/unload it from any side. I figure, if the axel is good, it should hold about 2500 - 3000 lbs. But, if not, more steel, a new axel and tires will take care of that.

Keith_J

Axles are usually rated by bearing size. Most fiberglass boat trailers like you describe would be 3500 pound axles. Overkill for a single MEP-002A. My trailer is on 2000 pound axle and does just fine with the generator.

On mobility, my cart set is rapidly installed/removed. Trailered operator panel forward, the rear wheel set goes on after the generator is just a foot off the trailer. Then the winch is operated until just the front end is hanging, installing the front wheel set and only then, disconnecting the trailer to drop the rear end of the trailer.

I've only done one load/unload cycle and there were a few issues which made it an hour long process. Getting it off wasn't the issue, getting the wagon wheels installed was. Hopefully with my modifications, it will be far easier. A tongue jack will really help on the trailer.

Oh, you running MIG with 100% argon? Is this aluminum? If not, 25% carbon dioxide, 75% argon is what you need.

Last edited:

n5yzv

Yeah, I hope it is mixed gas. The I picked up a small tank at Harbor Freight. The best we can figure out is that it is mixed. Otherwise, the cost is in the bottle, so a swap will cost $15. My brother is looking for a larger bottle in the mean time, but this little one seems it will be very handy. I have done some welding in the past, only arc. My brother said it will take me very little time to be proficient with the mig w/argon. We will see. I have a few projects along with the trailer. I also need to make a 11' gate (using 1 1/2" 14G Sq Tubing) and a wood rack (wife is tired of a stack of wood during the winter making a mess), and I don't mind an extra project.

The trailer is defiantly overkill. But I had it, and I need a general utility trailer. I find myself picking up palets of product from the FedEX and UPS Freight Terminals, so having a low trailer will be nice vs. jumping up and down in my 4x4 Dually.
I keep coming back ultimately to the cart idea. It would be nice to build in a bit of extra platform for an additional fuel source. In the process of cutting my rotting boat into little pieces, I removed a 15 Gal tank that seems to be in good shape.

I may draw up a ramp idea in a "CAD'ish" software, as I pretty much draw everything. Easier to visualize and plan for material. I can't believe it would take much steel to satisfy a 1000 Lb Generator, especially with such a low trailer. But as you are planning, special ramps would be a waste if it is on wheels. Just a handy winch. Preferably 12v and not arm power. Also another idea, is if the generator is on a cart, permanently, would it be a bad thing for that weight to be on the tires 24 x 7? I have thought building in 4 crank down jacks to level it out and to save the tires. For that matter, a tip from a 20 year RV veteran, cover the wheels so they don't get destroyed by the sun.

Keith_J

Small cylinders of gas don't last long. Even a 120 seems smallish for my welding at 15 cubic feet per hour. The smaller the cylinder, the more expensive it is per cubic foot. A 120 cubic foot is the largest I can throw over my shoulder and carry which is a good compromise. I did the rails on my trailer (red primer), fixed a few projects around and built the steering system for the generator cart all on about a half a 120 cubic foot argon cylinder.

As far as my generator, it is stored inside unless being used. That is the reason for the cart and now I can drag it through the side gate which is 36" wide:driver:.

storeman

I have a MEP-002a intake manifold in good -excellent condition from the parts unit I've been trying to rescue. Gave up on it yesterday. $40 plus shipping from VA. E-mail me if interested. The rest of the unit will find its way to the classifieds by Monday or Tuesday. Pictures on request. 2cents
Jerry
jerry@queenscreek.com