• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2a016 engine

trowel

i was hoping someone can steer me in the right direction,
im a engine collecter and have 2 2a016-3 (electronic ignition) engines, i would love some history on when the 2a016 military standard engine came about, i have searched the net. in vain,
thanks in advance,
trowel

coyote62ny

not shure i have one dated 1959 the only things different are the exaust which on the 59 is just a manifold no muffler the 59 has a oil bath air cleaner kill switch is just a button that is located on the point box cover the older engines are point ignition hope this helps

Bill W

Wow 1959
I didn't know they went back that far., I bought a NOS one off e-bay a few years back being they are such a cool looking engine. Mines still in the box, I go out every now and then and just look at it, saw a well used single cyl version at the flea market last week, I might need to get one of those also :mrgreen:

Attachments

trowel

motorhacke engine

hey there, how are you
how are the engines treating you, do you use them all the time?, i will soon be having 2 if not more 1a08 engines, one is n.o.s., hopefully with breaker points, put a bigger pto pullie on the tiller :mrgreen: she tills now!, yeh, the manuals i have in the 2a016 shows the changes in air filter, electronic ignotion/module, muffler, on/off switch and governer housing,
did you figure out a coating for the carb. float?
thanks in advance,
trowel

trowel

1a08

picked up a new old stock 1a08 today, took an hr. to remove the blower, 15 min. to clean the points, fired right up after the 3rd pull, runs like a dream untill the ethanol swells the float and it starts to flood the engine, here it is still sitting in the blower frame,
trowel

Attachments

coyote62ny

i use my engines 2 to 3 times a week more when its snowing the ethonol wont affect the float that fast you probly have a bad inlet needle you can replace it with one from a tillotson hs chain saw carb some of the carbs have a short needle with a spring on the end you can try to rebend the float lever or cut the needle off with a dremal tool if you want to try to coat the floats your self the stuff i got to use is por-15 gas tank sealer a little expensive but the guy at por told me it wont affect the foam float and put it on in light coats so you dont get the float to heavy it may cover in one coat not shure as i havent done one yetif you want to give me a call we can chat on the phone about these engines just send me a pm and i will give you my number dean

coyote62ny

trowel send me a pm i will give you my phone number i think from your pics of the single cyl. engine you posted you have one with the old carb which is good easyer to fix the inlet needlewhat makes me think the old carb is on top of the carb where the choke shaft goes through the body looking at the carb from the choke end the choke lever is on the right side on top over the choke shaft i think i see a brass plug there if so you have the old carb most of them old carbs use the tecumsh inlet seat you just use the old needle you can get the h-50 needle and seat from napa for around 3.00 the number isthis is a napa number 7-02308 dean

trowel

thanks

thank you, that is a huge help, been very busy with spring clean ups right now, when we go back to regular 8 hr. days, i'll finish the engines, i managed to put in the garden before it got dark today, one down, 2 more gardens to do, the 2a016 engines is powerfull, tilling dirt 6 inches deep in one pass, i'll post my progress as i go,
trowel

trowel

medum garden

tilled in the medum sized garden at the farm today,
tilled in 6 cubic yards of old leaves into a 30 feet by 16 feet garden, 6 1/2 to 7 inches deep, had the tiller buried untill the end of the row, me and my brother took turns tilling and picking rocks, 2a016 engine got stronger and sharper when i fine tuned it for working load, gave no problems untill it starts to bounce on rocks, then it would flood and i would have to pull up and give it a second to clear it's troat, ran at 1/2 load with power left to spare, the tines spining at 4 more revolutions faster then the original speed milled the soil insead of just tilling it, took 4 1/2 hr.s using 2 1/2 gallons of gas,
from 100 feet away the twin sounds like a small prop plane engine droning under load, at idle it sounds like a prop engine at idle,
forget the 5.0 honda engine, i got this now!
trowel

trowel

wicked little bi*ch

work in progress, trying out headers for the 2a016 engine, wicked idle, this is the true killer tiller :evil:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY67jE1b90c&feature=player_detailpage[/media]