• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2nd alternator, 12V

tm america

I haven't been able to borrow a truck yet to get my measurements to make the brackets for the a3 or five ton. but as soon as i find someone close i will get them made.i did design a really nice trailer hitch for a deuce that i'm gonna list in the classifieds real soon ..

deuceaid

Banned
To my horror,, I started the engine today,,, and the belts were spining,,, but not my so called new alternator,,,,

yes its been about 9 months since I ordered my 12 volt alt kit,,,,, I bolted up the kit about 7 months ago,,,,, and bolted in an alternater today..

First off I want to thank Jurgen and tm america for all of thier hard work!!!!!! everything bolted up just like they said it would! cheers guys...

now to the horror of the day,,, my new alt seemed ok,,,, it spun just fine out of the box.... but ounce it got mounted and the motor turned over,,, it jarred loose an extra rectifier mounting screew which locked the rotor!!!!:eek:........ I walked around from the drivers side to see everything spinning except the new alt...:shock:

well , nothing is made in america anymore,,,,, I will take just about any good hung over union worker anyday instead o f 3rd world drones,,, ie people who dont even own a car, or know how to work on one.....

59apache

Chipmaker
@gijoel
joel, it has been often discussed here, every system has its own drawbacks and advantages.

regulator:
pro:
easy to install
cheap
con:
drains your battery
limited power supply
takes load on the rel. small OE alternator.

load equilizer
pro:
easy to install
cheap
con:
drains your battery
limited power supply
takes load on the rel. small OE alternator.

12V kit:
pro:
you can drain your 3rd battery and your truck will start
powerlimit is your alternator....
no extra load on the OE alternator
untouched original wiring....

con:
you need a kit
you need an alternator
you need a 3rd battery.

more work to install (but for my opinion not that much...most time consuming is the proper install of a fuse box, wiring, etc. and that you have to do on every system)

jesusgatos

Just ordered a 12/24 dual alternator kit from Wolverine Technologies, with the optional 220 amp 12V alternator upgrade. Wasn't sure if I'd end up building my own mounts or buying something, but decided to spend my time working on other parts of this motorhome conversion. Tim also told me that they're using HD truck alternators instead of the smaller car alternators, and they have to make custom shafts in order to clear the radiator fan. Sounds like they've got it all figured out. Looking forward to installing these and firing-up the new LDS.

deuceaid

Banned
oh , a futrher note, the suggested belt looks too long to me, (it is in place) but the fan on the alt may hit a radiator mount when the motor torques up and rolls in the motor mounts..

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Click on "Thread Tools" drop-down menu at the top of the page, and click on "Subscribe To This Thread."

Right now you can get a 100 amp, used battery equalizer on ebay for $400. I think the 12 volt alternator is probably the better, and cheaper, solution.

Nice work on your install. I wish someone would post specs/pics for a bracket to go in an A3.

Gunfreak25

I am glad I found this! I never considered dual alternators for the 6.2 M211 project which I have retained the 24v system on. I bought a converter for the 700r4 and other 12v electronics, but it is only rated for a continuous 360 watts. Plus it if ever fails I loose power to the 700r4 lockup which would be a bad thing on the highway. Plus, I wasn't going to have much room leftover on the converter for any halfway decent sound system. Forget adding future cooling fans or spot lights.

I really like this idea, thanks for posting! I'm going to do this on the M211. 2 separate charging systems is the best of both worlds all for the cost of an extra battery, a dime a dozen 12v alternator and I have more than enough room on the 6.2 for 2 alternators.

Lextreme

Made mine last weekend. I used Chevy 350 alternator with a longer belt. I also made a dual 12V battery tray and install it on the driver side. Drove over 70 miles on the freeway and no problem. I just wire up my M109 box with an inverter too. 12V sure make life easier...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks