• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2nd alternator, 12V

OuttaTheWayPECK

I hear ya TM... no argument here bro. everything I've read about your service to everyone here in this forum is awesome. its entirely possible I'm thinking too much into the whole thing about doing a mod like this 12v conversion. it's not like I'm completely foriegn to wiring and cars and all, just would be kinda lame to destroy a trucks electrical system because I screwed the job up, so yeah I agree on getting someone who's done it before do the job. I'm the type that needs to see it performed, then I get it. lol ...

OuttaTheWayPECK

One more thing the idea of doing a full 12 volt conversion would be a huge mistake in my opinion.Anything run on 12 volts draws twice the amps as it would on 24 volts.. such as starters and high draw things that will end up requiring wires to be doubled in size as well as other things.There is good reason why the military went with 24 volts .. so to me the best set up is running both a 12 and 24 volt system which gives you many bennifits such as having an extra battery in case one failed in the starting system. Or being able to run off the 12 volt side untill the batteries are completely dead and still be able to start the truck which you will not be able to do with a full 12 volt conversion or adding a 24 to 12 volt convertor..
interesting.... yeah, I'm feeling pretty uneducated right about now LOL ... i agree wit ya there also TM, if they made it 24 v it was for a good reason obviously.

OuttaTheWayPECK

would i be allowed to post those companies I'm considering making my truck into here to get some feeedback from you guys? I'm walking into a truck pretty blind and would be great to pick your brains since you've obviously been there and done that a million times already. and to be honest, this is what I'm looking for... http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?96806-The-Beast-is-up-for-sale-72-Kaiser-multifuel .... crazywelder's truck .. funny thing is I read it has a new home here in Florida. man I would love that truck.

tm america

I hear ya TM... no argument here bro. everything I've read about your service to everyone here in this forum is awesome. its entirely possible I'm thinking too much into the whole thing about doing a mod like this 12v conversion. it's not like I'm completely foriegn to wiring and cars and all, just would be kinda lame to destroy a trucks electrical system because I screwed the job up, so yeah I agree on getting someone who's done it before do the job. I'm the type that needs to see it performed, then I get it. lol ...
Another beautiful thing about doing the 12 volt add on is that you are not altering anything with the factory wiring so there will be no issues with the exsisting systems on the truck now..Basically there are two ways to do the 12 volt add on wiring .First is to go with a conventional alt that uses an exciter wire to turn it off and on .this can be useful to turn things off or on when not in use .. Or you can use a one wire alt that is on anytime the engine is running .. Either way it depends on how you wanna use the truck..i like the first way since a standard alt can easily be wired to function as a one wire alt or it can be switched..Also the standard alt is much more price friendly.

NMSMITTY

TM America, I sent you an email. I would like to purchase a kit but cant find it in the classifieds.
Thanks and look forward to getting a 12V system on my truck

wonder if I'm too late to chime into this thread. the information in this thread is priceless. you guys rock! I too am reading and learning before I purchase my first deuce. I've found several truck companies who fix up and do many upgrades to the trucks they offer. one such site ofers a 12v conversion for $1500. question for you knowledgable folks is, is there a difference between a 12v conversion done by these deuce truck sellers as apposed to the double alt. one 24v alt and one 12v alt?

also, please forgive me for knowing close to nothing about electronics and doing a modification like this, that you guys make sound so easy... but say you bolt on your new 12v alt, get the right belt length and bolt it on and get a couple 12v batteries, but ok then what? how do you wire it up? how to you wire batteries to it and then end up with the ability to run fans and radios and speakers and etc etc.? I bet then is no picture turtorial of a step by step for ignorant folk like myself who are clueless on how to even begine a modification like this?? thanks... and again great thread!!! most of it is way over my head.
The most important question you need to ask yourself is: What is the total load of the 12v components that you wish to have?

If you don't plan on running something super serious, like a 12v winch, then for the simplicity and price you should probably install a voltage converter or several voltage converters. See the build thread link in my signature to see how much I have been able to run off of my two converters. Never once had an issue and the converters only cost me a total of about $45.

The second question is: Do you have an A2 or and A3. I am not aware of a 12v alternator mounting kit for an A3 so that would certainly narrow your choices down, unless you are a good metal fabricator.

59apache

Chipmaker
the most important question is (after the total load) how much capacity do you need. It makes no sense to install an alternator for a cellphone charger.
If you want to run a cooler or little fridge or something else without the engine all the time running, you want the saftey and capacity of a 3rd battery.
Every fire truck or emergency vehicle that i know has a independant battery for the electrical consumers to keep the starter battery full.

docpadds

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got done with my 12v add on from WOlverine.

The system took a little tweaking but its steady and testing good so far. I have it feeding back to a battery in the box alongside the two 24v ones. There is then a heavy 4g cable running back from there into the box where the RV control panel is. This charges the batteries when the truck is parked and its shore line is hooked up. So far i have some cab lights, cigarette lighter outlets (both hidden in cab), a fridge, a stereo and interior lighting in the box. More lights and appliances to come :)

Once we fit the generator under the side we will have it feed via a transfer switch. 12v is nearly always being charged / maintained.

Lextreme

What I recently found out that I dont really need the 12V alternator. I have two 100W solar panels and it provides more than enough power. When I drive my truck during the day time, I am literally over charging my deep cycle batteries.

docpadds

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, you actually got a kit from Wolverine? Had a **** of a time trying to order a kit and finally gave-up.
Got the kit ok, just a completely wrong belt and the instructions are not the best. Took a while to get on forum so i could see the pics.

It works though, its well made too.

59apache

Chipmaker
What I recently found out that I dont really need the 12V alternator. I have two 100W solar panels and it provides more than enough power. When I drive my truck during the day time, I am literally over charging my deep cycle batteries.

how can this happen? Normally a solar charger has the correct current and a charging curve that is attuned to the battery type??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks