• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2nd alternator, 12V

59apache

Chipmaker
gentlemen, i want to show you my work.
its a simple bracket for a 12V AC delco alternator, made from 5/16 (8mm) steel. its mounted to the bolt, there the slotted rod for the orignal alternator is mounted and with a slightly longer bolt to the waterpump.
plate ist drilled and cutted with a bandsaw.
the alternator is mounted to a u-bracket.
a small spacer (5mm thick) is needed to equalize the differnet height between bolt and waterpump. i tack welded it to the plate. not necessary, but nice, you can't lose it....
the adjuster is made with 2 rod ends with left hand and right hand thread and a coupler.
no modifications on the vehicle are necessary, if you dont like it any more, you can remove it without leaving marks.
thats it. it works.
greets juergen

PS: of course, you need a 3rd battery!

Attachments

Last edited:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks very nice! I was thinking about the same kind of set up, and i like how you made it so no modifications are necessary... good approach. How did you find the measurments for the holes? just a rough measurement? It looks real precise. I was going to swap out my 6TL batterys soon for some group 31's and didnt know if i could get 3 batterys in my battery box or not. I have to do measurements and all so 2 batterys could be for the 24 volt system and one for the 12 volt...seems like a good setup if there is room for 3 batterys! Again, very nice job!:beer:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good looking fabrication work. Did you by any chance happen to produce a drawing or record the measurements? (Metric or English)

It looks good though.

sw

Stalwart

GREAT work, looks like proper German Engineering to me! I was going to do this until I found out about Battery Equalizers and found a new one cheap on eBay.

59apache

Chipmaker
hi stuart, equalizer are ok, but with a 3rd battery you have allways fresh starter batterys and one for accessories. you dont have to think about: will it start or not? :grin:

Stalwart

hi stuart, equalizer are ok, but with a 3rd battery you have allways fresh starter batterys and one for accessories. you dont have to think about: will it start or not? :grin:
I was going to use the equalizer to supply the 3rd battery and I don't plan to use much 12V power unless the engine is running anyway. Mainly just to charge phones etc, the FLiR and spotlight will manily be used when the engine is turning. I was planning to use very large AGM batteries for the 24V main system. I will be getting rid of the Mil. Spec. alternator in favor of a large off the shelf 1 wire unit.

59apache

Chipmaker
@srodocker it was an old 60A alternator from my chevy :smile:, don't have to buy it. its a el cheape standard part.

@stuart i'm not really familiar with equalizers. what i know is, they have a limited capacity. i 've seen one that has about 7,5A capacity, thats close to nothing. a 150 spotlight draws 12,5A at 12V........

Mass Ownage

Alternator looks like an 01-0039. Thats the common parts house part number. They last forever and are easy wire. Alot of old tractors use them too. If the counter guy needs a year make and model, as most of the young ones do, 80 chevy truck. It's internally regulated. Just picked one up for my truck.

Flyingvan911

I just got a Vanner 65-60 off ebay for $200. It takes in 30 amps at 24 volts and puts out 60 amps at 12 volts. I want to install a 12 volt deep cycle. It will work well for ham radios, etc.

jesusgatos

Trying to figure out what I want to do about alternators too. Wolverine's setup looks like the cleanest option. Also kinda like the idea of the dual-output (HMMWV?) alternator. Been told that's a bolt-in. Love the DIY-tech though. If you have any measurements you want to share, I can create some blueprints and host the file on the CAD Library.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks