• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2nd alternator, 12V

JOAT 0311

I have a 180amp 12v I will be putting in soon. I would love to see some measurements or a good drawing w/specs for the bracket. I am planning on running a 12v fuse block and 2 more batteries. 12v lights are so much easier to replace on the road. I will be running a 12v heater and wipers too. I thought about the inverter route but true dual voltage and fuse blocks is what I prefer. I already have most of what I will need. Nice job on the bracket!

59apache

Chipmaker
ok, gentlemen, last weekend i've make a little roadtest....500 miles, done a bit playing in the mud....no problems to report! no sliping belts, battery is charged, everything is fine.
i've make a sketch, if anyone need a .dwg or .dxf file, please feel free to contact me.

with a plasma or an waterjet its only minutes to cut the parts, welding is easy.

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the drawings Juergen.

I don't know if anyone else notices but, look how much easier it is in Metric rather than English measurement units. Sometimes I wish would could go completely Metric like most of the rest of the world. Biggest drawback is that it doesn't help us with old stuff.

sw

59apache

Chipmaker
thanks for the feedback!
if anybody here has access to an waterjet or a plasmacutter, work together and make an collective order. i guess 5 or 10 sets are a lot cheaper.

metric or inch...:-D i think and work in metric measurements, and the biggest drawback is mixing in one vehicle.....so i trial to keep my deuce inch and drill the tappet in 3/8 UNC.

i'm sure, someone her can make a little "cleaner" inch scetch.

jesusgatos

Just got those files from Juergen. I'm going to make a simple solid-model whenever I have some time, and then I'll upload these files to the CAD Library where anybody/everybody can download them.

PS. any of you guys that use CAD should feel free to contribute and upload any files you want to share (linky).

tm america

Super nice fab job... this is by far the cleanest simplest install i have seen so far ..Really well thought out and good follow thru to.all you need to make it perfect is some green paint. You should make a program to cut they peices out on a plasma table or water jet.. i would be in the market for one.. and i'm sure plenty of others would be to.....:driver:

jesusgatos

Only reason I might not end up making one of these mounts is if I decide to replace the 24V alternator with a more modern unit too. Even then, this mount is a big help in figuring out some critical dimensions.

59apache

Chipmaker
ok, here is the electrical connection......
7 gauge wire (10mm²)
one wire from the starter (24V) to the fusebox
one wire from the alternator to the other fusebox
from the in side connected to the battery.
the main fuse is a 80A fuse

from the out side of the fuseboxes to a connection poin, made myself out off a piece POM plastic, its durable, doesn't brake and i had it i my leftover box:D, 2 6mm screws (similar to 1/4), the head ist on the back in a larger hole and sealed with RTV black. the thread goes trough to the front side.

now its easy to connect the second fusebox. it has 8 places, all i have to do is connect 1 wire each from the box to connection point.

thats it.

Attachments

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, not trying to steal anyone's thunder here, but there was someone on the site selling delco alternators in a kit form. Both 24 and 12 volt kits. Anyone know who that was? Unable to search it down.

59apache

Chipmaker
@desertfox:
nothing to steal - smile.
M35 Deuce and 5 Ton Military Truck High output alternator Kit

price range is between 230 for a single 24V unit and 330 for dual alternators up to 600 for high output.
multiplicate these numbers by 1,4 - 1,5 and you have the price that this unit costs me including
shipping, customs duty, and tax.

my conversions costs me nothing. and i have the fun to build something and the pride to see it work.
and i think my solution is a bit beefier....
necessary or not - who knows?

jollyroger

Thanks for the hard work and sharing the idea with us. I have been trying to figure out a low cost way of doing this for snow plow electrics. You just solved that issue for me.

Don't apologize for your English. You do very well considering it's not your native language. There are a lot of people in the US that don't do well with it and it IS their native language.:lol: I'm just sayin'.

Some of my Mom's family comes from a small town in Germany called Dransfeld. They emigrated to Denmark in the 1400's as mercenaries. It is in the district of Gottingen 12 K west of the City Gottingen. Sorry. I don't have the dots (Umlauts) to put over the o. My Dad's family came to Baden-Baden from Italy about the same time.

I love the history in the old country. Thanks again and keep sharing your ideas.[thumbzup]

59apache

Chipmaker
the price is ok, you got a new alternator, brackets, and and and
but have an old chevy alternator and a well filled leftoverbox (does this word exist?) is better:D

@jollyroger:
thanks! i trial to write as correct as possible.....but school is long time ago and i don't use english daily. its always interesting for me to see how much people in the us have german roots!

and many of you has served in germany and have (i hope so!!!) good memories about this country and the people.

Kohburn

thanks for the design. saved me a bunch of time from having to take all the measurements myself to make one.

I am replacing my 24 with a 150amp 24 alternator but it won't be moving the upper bracket from the original location. Your design will work perfectly to add the 100 amp 12v alternator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks