• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2nd and 3rd Tank

Lextreme

Got a used tank from $100dollarman last week and will be installing it into the driver side tool box area. I will remove the tool box (driver side) and install the tank with steps welded into the brackets. I also made a 85 gallon custom tank that will be mounted under and recess at the rear of the M109. I am trying to setup a WMO/Gas with long distance in mind. This setup is capable of holding 185 gallons with a range of 1,200 miles. The 3rd tank is setup for WMO from local mechanic shops. It is plumb to pump to the 2nd tank or to a storage tank at home.

59apache

Chipmaker
for my opinion to much weight....i would use a M105 for the WMO tank, with a pump, big filters & water separator as a fuel processing unit if necessary. advantage: only clean fuel in the trucks system and you can run a defined blend between WMO and diesel.

just my 2 cents.

Clay James

for my opinion to much weight....i would use a M105 for the WMO tank, with a pump, big filters & water separator as a fuel processing unit if necessary. advantage: only clean fuel in the trucks system and you can run a defined blend between WMO and diesel.

just my 2 cents.
+1 That's what I'm doing. Still debating a second tank, but I think it's easier to just put everything in the 105.

Attachments

jdknech

just my 2 cents.
huh?:cookoo: did i miss something? the truck is rated for 5000LB off road, and 10K on road... i dont see how three tanks is too much weight... just my 2cents

59apache

Chipmaker
huh?:cookoo: did i miss something? the truck is rated for 5000LB off road, and 10K on road... i dont see how three tanks is too much weight... just my 2cents
huh! :shock: you did miss something.
1st. the weight hangs "outbord" off the frame , that not the same as weight even distributed on the truck bed or box floor. Means more stress (torsion) on the frame. But this is with a tank in the original size and dimension neglectable.

2nd. with our underpowerd vehicles weight is the factor for driving enjoyment.

My M35 outperforms my buddys M109 (empty) , cause it weights less. I need less fuel.

If you have an M109 with an RV conversion you have easily 2500 lbs over an empty box.

I don't know the weight of the M109 box, but i guess it's heavy.

But as postet above, thats my opinion, not necessarily the truth. Only my 2 cents.

Greets Juergen

lowflybye

2nd. with our underpowerd vehicles weight is the factor for driving enjoyment.

My M35 outperforms my buddys M109 (empty) , cause it weights less. I need less fuel.
Let's re-think that point a bit...with 135 additional gallons of fuel on board that equals out to approximately 950 lbs of additional weight given that diesel fuel weights approximately 7 lbs / gal. To say that this would affect the performance and driving enjoyment of the truck is to say that a winch truck with a passenger will not perform as well as a non-winch truck driven solo. I would think this weight difference would be negligible. I cannot tell a noticeable difference in performance in my truck -vs- my buddies winch truck.

With regards to the M109 -vs- the M35...I would think the performance issue has more to do with trying to push a giant square box through an air mass than it does with the weight of the trucks. Drag has a much greater effect on performance than weight does and it becomes an increasingly greater force as speed increases...as speed is doubled, drag is quadrupled.

For proof of this scientific law...take a trip with your truck sans cargo cover and then make the same trip at the same average speed with the cargo cover installed...I bet you a tank of go juice that the trip with the cargo cover will result in slower acceleration and more fuel burn if all other factors remain the same.

lowflybye

I guess we are talking about 2 different types of performance...on road and off road. I assumed since he was going for more endurance (adding additional fuel tanks) that he would be more concerned with on road performance.

There I go making assumptions again. ;-)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Also a little math...

1 gallon of 30 wt oil weighs 7.5lbs per gallon.
1 gallon of #2 diesel weighs 7.15lbs per gallon.

So a stock deuce would carry 357.5 pounds of diesel or 375lbs of WMO.

So another 357.5-375lbs for the second tank. And 607.75-637.5lbs for the other tank.

In the grand scheme of things, it's only another 1000lbs. (plus the weight of the tank, brackets, hoses, exc.) But it's certainly something to consider.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also a little math...

1 gallon of 30 wt oil weighs 7.5lbs per gallon.
1 gallon of #2 diesel weighs 7.15lbs per gallon.

So a stock deuce would carry 357.5 pounds of diesel or 375lbs of WMO.

So another 357.5-375lbs for the second tank. And 607.75-637.5lbs for the other tank.

In the grand scheme of things, it's only another 1000lbs. (plus the weight of the tank, brackets, hoses, exc.) But it's certainly something to consider.
With your number rounded to the low side

360 + 360 + 610 = 1330 lbs plus weight of tank and hardware it eats up 1/3 of the off-road capacity

59apache

Chipmaker
yup. And i guess the M109 hasn't realy 5000 lbs due the higher weight of the box.
Maybe 4000lbs?
The 2 tanks weigh approximately 400 lbs.

And with a bit interior in the box, water on board, aso you get really quick really heavy.
I tought about a second tank many times, if i would do this, i would mount is there the spare tire sits. Spare tire(s) and toolkit in an M105, large tank with pump and filters also. If i don't need it, i can simply drive solo. For driving around in my area, i don't need a spare, not with duals.

I

Lextreme

Weight to me is not that important. I want the capability of sucking up oil from shops and dumping it to home container and perhaps transfer directly to tank#2. Got some fittings yesterday and also got the tank#3 welded. Here are few pictures of it.

Tank#3 is made of 11 gauge mild steel and were laser cut to have a perfect. All sheets were carefully welded inside except the top cover. The tank has two parts.

The smaller tank fit inside the slot under the frame and the larger tank is under the smaller tank. I also made the larger tank in an angle so it would clear small bumps and hills as it comes down. It is 18" in front and 12" for the rear of the large tank. 3/8" female npt were welded for inlet and outlet along with one vent (1/8" npt) and two 1/8" fitting for oil level indicator.

The last picture is the fitting for tank#2. Larger fitting (1/2" inverted male) will feed into tank#1 and the smaller vent fitting is 3/16" inverted male.

Attachments

Last edited:

rickf

Why didn't you make the tank out of aluminum? Less weight and no worries about rust from the water that will inevitably be in the WMO.

Rick

Lextreme

Why didn't you make the tank out of aluminum? Less weight and no worries about rust from the water that will inevitably be in the WMO.

Rick
Welding... I have a nice 220V Miller Mig welder. I can weld mild steel and I dont have a Tig for the aluminum.

Kohburn

a barrier coating will take care of any rust issues for a LONG time.

did you weld any baffles into the tanks?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks