• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2nd gear starts??

dmetalmiki

gear changes

hmm..so its not possible to change to first from 2nd on the (stopping) move.. OHHHH yes it is!! I do that frequently when crawling up to a gate or rally entrance if required..(if that was a no no I would NEVER move my scammell constructor 30ton tank transporter as...it has 6 gears ""round a gate"" (like an old bentley!!) and ALL CRASH GEARS! (much to audience amusement I often boot off and change from low to high..(no thing unusual in that i hear U say!) IN REVERSE..sounds and looks impressive in the M62 5ton or deuce..((yeah I know..but observsation CLEAR first and spotter ok))

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As taken from the 2006 -10 (Operators Manual) for the M35A2... I guess they learned something from the 1980's instructions.

Refer to data plate for transmission gearshift lever positions and
maximum road speed for each transmission and transfer case
setting.
• Do not initiate forward motion using transmission positions “2–5”
(SECOND through FIFTH OVERDRIVE). Intiating forward
motion using transmission positions 2-5 results in jerky vehicle
motion and may cause the engine to stall.
5. Place transmission gearshift lever (2) in position “1” (FIRST) for forward motion or
position “R” (REVERSE) for backward motion, as required.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll throw my hat in the ring here.

I start 2cd gear, except when loaded or on a hill. Can let the clutch out with little to no throttle and it engages with little slippage. Now my engine is turned up some. Can't remember the last time I stalled it, if ever.

When shifting, I single clutch through the gears, just letting the engine slow down some inbetween shifts.

Now the TM says use first. But I've been driving manual's since age 15, and have yet to burn up a clutch. For a newbie, maybe they need to use first gear, but I figure most people would get the feel of the clutch and be able to take off without slipping or throttle.

I should clarify this, some heavier trucks, such as M109's, or trucks with a stock engine that's weak(Hmmm... think I know someone like that...) would have to use first to keep from slipping the clutch.

Dennis

FreightTrain

Banned
Going from 2nd to first is easy.2nd gear,Clutch drop into neutral.Let out of clutch,Rev,Clutch and drop into 1st,let out and away you go.I do down shift my multifuel.If you don't pay attention you can REALLY over rev the engine.I down shift when my RPMs get to about 700-800RPM.Then it is only if I am comming to a redlight I think is gonna turn green before I get stopped.Basically preselect my take off gear.

martinsaunders06

ive read on hear a few times that with 5 ton sprags you need to engage first gear when coming from reverse for correct operation of the transfer sprag!.this is 100% incorrect for on my 816 wrecker i physically looked at how my gearbox operated inside= the sliding shaft that engages the poppet air valves has 2 detents machined in it .when in reverse the forward gear poppet ball sinks into shaft thus shutting the forward gear poppet air supply to sprag, in this reverse position the sliding shaft is perfectly round and will keep reverse poppet air supply open to sprag.As soon as you return to neutral (not first)the reverse air poppet shuts(sinks into detent on shaft) and the forward gear poppet rises up out of detent on sliding shaft to open forward air supply poppet to sprag.First gear does not to be selected to operate sprag!this is how my 5ton operated with it stripped apart.

BEASTMASTER

you the man dennis. i thought i was the only oldtimer in here that knew how to drive.some people can drive somethings,some people can drive anything, but an old timer can drive everything :driver:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL... first time for being called an oldtimer! Well my kids think I'm old...

Dennis