• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3..2..1..Eureka!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, so we got the transmission out this afternoon and should be able to finish the job tomorrow.
BTW, the seal we found at NAPA was the 49929 and it sold for about $44.
It's great to have Jones to supervise the work and help with the tricky stuff. :)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oops. Already there. Was it already there or did someone put it up really quick.
As soon as I asked Dman for the numbers, he responded and posted that. I went right in an approved it for all to have. Mike is quite the cross referencer.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The amazing Leonard! So you break down and need a part, we get the part number for a hard to get engine oil seal (I thought on Labor Day). He finds the biggest NAPA store I have ever seen, must have occupied a football field and they have it in stock!!
Next, with his expert skills, we get the transmission, clutch and seal out from the jacked up deuce in his driveway.
Now we need an alignment tool, usually not available locally, so we head for the Sacramento Locomotive Works machine shop, where Leonard promptly turns out a beautiful clutch plate alignment tool and a stud to slide the flywheel out on. While he is doing that, I am looking over the old steam locomotives worked on by volunteers for later display in the nearby museum.
I think he is enjoying it as much as I do. :)
This morning we got the seal, flywheel and the clutch installed. The transmission is currently suspended in position and ready to install after lunch.

jasonjc

A tool?? The last clutch I put in I had to use a scoket , ext and some tape. I bet it went alot easer with the right tools. :p

Jones

Well... Bjorn's smiling again. The cranetruck is idling away in my driveway with no evidence of earlier woes. Will let him tell all the gory details and will post some pictures later.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here ,here! :beer:

Fantastic news. Big hats off to Leonard!!
I'll bet you have the biggest damn smile on your face watching a fellow MV brother motoring off with renewed vigor because of your help.
I broke down in Riverside last night and spent 2 hours last night and most of today working under my van. Got it fixed and made it back to my place to hope and hook up with Cranetruck but I see he is just about to leave your place. I really hope he stays in Ventura until Wed the 13th so I can meet up with him as I leave in the morning for 5 days of work down by San Diego - 3 hours away.

Thanks again Jones, you pulled off what all of us wish we could be there to do.
When I finally do get up there, I would kill to see the inner workings of the train museum. I have been through it at least 6 times - love steam engines!! (Remember - I do hand painted lettering for your next train project).

Bjorn - sent you a PM

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Love it. If Bjorn were to break down here I'd be right in there with him doing the same thing. Hats off to you Leonard but I already knew what kind of guy you were. BTW, the headlights are still burning!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, I know you would have done the same. Been there, done that kind of thing. :)

Well it took us several hours to wrestle that transmission in place, but it's done.
This morning the deuce is loaded and again ready for the road, couldn't fit the bulky troop seats/bed sides and bows on top of the cargo I already have, so we decided to leave them here. Sorry Gary. A lot is probably junk and useless to you anyway, best if you can sort through it before hauling it all 500 miles South.

Updates later.

Jones

Bjorn, back on the road again.

To all that lent a hand; Thanks for the part nos. and the encouragement.
Bjorn departed my driveway at 8:40A; said he'd just circle the block if anything went wrong... haven't seen him come trudging back so I guess we did it right the first time.
Also a good sign... he's waving good-bye using all his fingers.

Attachments

colyork

RE: Bjorn, back on the road again.

very cool the way you can get help from the members on Steel soldiers.Great job keeping Bjorn on his way [thumbzup]

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

3,300 miles later, arrived in Ventura, CA at 1045 hrs this morning. I'll be here until Monday afternoon at least. If any of you fellows living in this parts of the world, would like to stop by, the address here is:
371 South Wake Forest Ave,
Ventura, CA 93003
(805) 650-9787

I (the deuce) still have some fuel issues and I'll be looking for ways to clean the spare injectors, from Jason, to sub for the ones currently on the engine. Acetone may be good for soaking the injectors, but need to double check that.
The clack, clack sound comes and goes and when subdued, sounds normal to the engine, but sounds almost destructive when at its worst.
Leaving Leonard's, it sounded normal to him. Power is good and I can easily get 10-12 psi boost, so I'm not sure what it is. The injectors will be checked, never the less.
Using mostly diesel now, only about 50 gallons of Bio/WVO left on the truck.

A big "Thank You" to all that make this possible, but "ground control" needs to be on stand-by a little longer since I'm returning East next week and who knows whats needed then.....

Sleeping in the deuce at the truck stops has become a routine thing, but this morning at about 0400 hrs a semi backed into the deuce and took off in a hurry. No damaged done, the bumper is high enough to keep lights etc out of harms way. Leonard, perhaps a front bumper would not be such a bad idea for your Baby Hemmet after all...

I'm sitting in my wife's class room typing this and will bring the deuce over tomorrow morning to offload her books and stuff.

Later,

rmgill

The semi probably couldn't see your deuce parked there in the dark. The dark paint and minimal reflectors makes them very inconspicuous. See if you can put the injectors in some kind of container individually with a solvent. Something fixed to the cargo bed could make for a cheap ultrasonic cleaner over a few thousand miles. ;-)

Katch1

powerservice or any of the other additives would be safe, but I don't know if they would be aggressive enough

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Bjorn, Theres a Cummins shop in Ventura, Cummins Cal Pacific. They should have some flush. I'm tellin ya, it works great, Cummins PT injectors with 300k on them flushed before a cam job, NO carbon. Back in the day of non electronic injectors, a flush and tune would raise HP by 30 to 40 at the rear wheels. If they don't have it, call me. I have some at the shop. 626-840-1751

devilman96

All five fingers.... lol

Good to see AAA being put to shame by our own doings... Kenny maybe you should fex ex out the tow bar and he can get a state to state transfer going back east... Murphy's law says if he has it.. he will not need it!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Thinking about the injectors reminds me that I have an extra set of used injectors. For the last several years they have been stored in a can of diesel fuel. Don't know if thats good or not.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks