• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3" 8-Point Socket Suggestions

HDN

Does anyone have any recommendations for 3" 8-point sockets? I'm going to be checking wheel bearings this spring and want something good enough that's not going to round off the bearing lock nuts, especially when setting torque.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before I got into MV collecting, my socket set consisted of 3/8 drive metric only, now I have a full set of 3/8 and half inch in both SAE and metric, plus open end/box wrenches up to 1.5 inch, and a small set of 3/4 drive manual sockets, including that 8 point. Not to mention crescent, vise-grip, pliers, pry bars, punches, hammers, bolt cutters, grinders, and a whole bunch more.

HDN

What's the quality like on the OTC tools? I'm not familiar with them.

stb64

OTC = Ohio Tool Company.

DG
OTC Tools (originally Owatonna Tool Company) is a tool and equipment manufacturer. It was founded in Owatonna, Minnesota, by Godfrey Kaplan, who operated a small machine shop there. Kaplan's son Rueben, invented the "Grip-O-Matic" universal gear puller and received his first patent.[1] The tool remains virtually unchanged to this day.

HDN

Are you going with the reproduction seals? If so be careful theres a video i think tactical repairs where when you try to torque them down the tab snips off and the seal moves.
I was going to get the M35A3 rear axle seal kits from Big Mike's. I'm not sure if they're repros or surplus, but aside from the extra o-rings they look like M35A2 rear axle seals. I think I watched that same video. The job doesn't look terrible!

Sgt C

Are you going with the reproduction seals? If so be careful theres a video i think tactical repairs where when you try to torque them down the tab snips off and the seal moves.
I found that If I make sure to debur the inner nut, polish the face of the nut that will contact the seal, and put a very light coat of grease on it, the nut doesn't grab the seal and break the tab.

banditt1979

I was going to get the M35A3 rear axle seal kits from Big Mike's. I'm not sure if they're repros or surplus, but aside from the extra o-rings they look like M35A2 rear axle seals. I think I watched that same video. The job doesn't look terrible!
I ordered their NOS seals and the metal tab seems pretty thick, they weren't much more expensive than the repros. Also shipped quick!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks