• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3 color desert paint on m1009

MSgt USMC (Ret)

I'm "Nick the New Guy" here. I've recently purchased a 1009 and will be painting it in the Desert Storm tan. I'm considering making it a Three Color Desert pattern exactly like the Desert Combat Uniform (DCU's). I've had it done on a Jeep Wrangler I had and it looked pretty good. I know it's not an "official" military truck pattern but plain Tan is boring. Does anyone have a picture of a 1009/1008 painted in this pattern? Thanks.

USMC 1981-2004

Attachments

MSgt USMC (Ret)

Thanks for the input. I sold the Jeep a few weeks ago it sure turned some heads. That's the first desert pattern I've seen with black in it. Almost reminds me of the 6 color "chocolate chip" pattern used on the uniforms in Desert Storm.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard gents, and Semper Fi brother to you, MSgt!

The M109 is in the old MERDEC desert camo. MERDEC (or MERDC, often referred to as 4-colour camo) was used from early to mid-70s until mid-80s when the 3-colour started to replace it. It tends to survive in Guard units, it seems. My M185 was in summer Merdec when I got it last year.

Patterns are in TB 43-0147. The link below should take you to the page where you can click on the manual number and download the PDF. If not, go to the "Old Steel Soldiers" link under Notices at the top of this page, and look in the Tech Manual section there.
Steel Soldiers :: Military Vehicles Supersite

Cheers

Last edited:

busbart

@ Nico,

i saw the desert MERDC Dodge scheme, you have a short link to where i can find more Dodge 4 color camo (mERDC) scheme's?

I also read a little piece from "pawnshop" concerning a CUVC who somebody liked to paint in 4 color camo, only i can't find that postin anymore:(

any help would be appriciated!

Bart

Nico

@ Nico,

i saw the desert MERDC Dodge scheme, you have a short link to where i can find more Dodge 4 color camo (mERDC) scheme's?

I also read a little piece from "pawnshop" concerning a CUVC who somebody liked to paint in 4 color camo, only i can't find that postin anymore:(

any help would be appriciated!

Bart

i`m sorry no direct link possible. but i can post a top/front/rear view also. hope that helps:

Attachments

baddy3

This is what my truck should look like when I’m finished with it. Just took a piece of my old uniform and digitized it. It will be a vinyl wrap with matte lamination. Ok, Ok, I know it’s a tahoe but I couldn’t find vehicle outline of a blazer and this was the closest match…..

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Warren Lovell

Hey guys, just my 2 cents. I am also painting my M1009. I painted the tailgate Kustom Kolors Desert Storm tan. It looked great just in the single color. I then did the 3-color - by the book - paint scheme. Did not look good at all. It could be that the paint was all brand new...the contrast of tan and black was too much...black hadn't faded to the charcoal grey we are familiar with. And it also made my truck look like an Iraqi militant transport!

I wish i took a picture of it, but i couldn't stand to look at it any longer and repainted it back to tan. Much happier now.

Again, my two cents. I love camoflauge, but I think we 're used to the 3-color green black brown

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks