• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3 deuce's

greg2560

I have found 3 m35a2c in texas.. All I am guessing old forest service trucks who knows.. I local fire dept had them.. The guy wants 1200 each scrap price. take one take all.. or the go to the scrap yard...But do I have to have a release from the government to legally own them.. If i am correct the gov still owns the trucks right? Cabs are trashed running gear fair..motor trans etc just looking at them.. Really good parts trucks.. I hate to fork out 3600 bucks with a bad paper trail...

greg2560

that is what i was thinking will call the guy in the am.. And wish him luck if he gets in deep crap... Mabe should have sold the (kid) the glass lol... glass does not pay the bills in scrap iron !!!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Their status depends on what program they were obtained under. Some vehicles had to be returned to the government and some could be sold by the receiving agencies. If the present owner gives you a bill of sale then, depending on Texas DVM rules, you may be able to title them or at least register them. In Alabama you can register an older vehicle with a BOS but you can't get a title.

greg2560

ya I am the kid lol... If you take car etc to the crusher you have to have a title but it be so old I do not know how that flys... Lot of bs and paper work.. That BOS deal i dont know how that works because the was never a record of the truck in the DVM world.. Only in the DOD world there is record of the truck

SEAFIRE

There are two texas forest service programs, one where the fed govt owns the trucks, the other where they give you the trucks.
Check if the dept bought the trucks, or got them through the forest service. You could also get the license plate number and see who its registered to, the forest service trucks will be registered to them and are supposed to be returned to Lufkin after use to be recycled or auctioned off.

Last edited:

greg2560

there are no plates on the trucks will have to check with the FD whos trucks they are... My guess.... hey the are mine in my county lol so they are mine to sell

SEAFIRE

The Texas forest service has a "newer" program where the trucks are given to the depts and they are free to sell them after a year or so....
If the trucks are old forest service trucks its probable they are under the old program where the trucks still belong to the govt.
however a lot of depts purchase the trucks from the DRMO/surplus, in which case the depts are free to do with the trucks as they please.
Hopefully the dept that has these three trucks has some good records.
Also FYI: most forest service trucks are required to have forest service stickers.
We had a govt owned truck we retired in 2005, it sat for over a year before they picked it up, in the meantime we had all kinds of ppl stopping by trying to buy it.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should verify ownership and papers with the guy first. I've bought a few trucks from FD/VFD's and they had to follow the book on selling it (if they even could). Seafire is right about the old program/new program so take that into consideration. Personally: no title no deal.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I would say, provided that you can determine the legality of them selling them, in worst case, they're worth more than $1200 each in parts and scraping value.

Artillerydan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many agencies just "scrap" the vehicles because that path is easier than sending to auction or other. Much like the military....... I dealt with a scrap dealer here for years that pulled everything (Scrap) off the Indian reservations. Much of it was scrap, and scrap of ALL kinds, but there were a lot of military trucks, jeeps, and other related. Get a bill of sale from the guy and roll with it. Do you really think they are stolen???? That answer should be no.

ntxcop

Texas is one of the few states that allow for BONDED TITLES on vehicles. I just went through a similar incident where I purchased a deuce from a someone that purchased it from GL. He never titled the deuce because he only used it on his ranch and never intended to put it on the road. He gave me a bill of sale and the original GL paperwork with his name on it. Texas DMV said he had to title it first and then sign the title over to me, and he didn't want' to do that because he'd have to pay the taxes and title fees. So I had to get a BONDED TITLE.

In Texas, if you purchase a vehicle and have a bill of sale, but no title, you can apply for a bonded title. It takes a little time on your part to jump through all the hoops, but it's not THAT bad.... You , have to take the truck to the Texas DPS Office and have the VIN verified (make sure it's not stolen), then you get a surety bond for the vehicle (the bond for my truck was $6000 and cost me $92). After the vehicle has been inspected and you have purchased the surety bond, you take the paperwork to the DMV and they will title it with a bonded title. The bonded title works just like the regular title, and after 3 years, you can apply for a regular title if you are so inclined.

The instructions are online, including the forms that you will need, or you can go to your county tax assessors office, and they will give you a packet with all the forms you need.