• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3 good questions

treysoucie

1. has anyone had to run a jumper box for the rear LED tailight upgrade? im not getting power to them. I have an 87'

2. where is the most accurate spot to tap into for the boost guage

3.I dont run outer front axle wheel bearing seals and have noticed zero issues is anyone else doing this? (with rebuilds)

Last edited:

Flyingvan911

#2- The pipe coming up from the turbo to the intake manifold has a plug in it just before it bolts to the intake manifold. I took that plug out and put the tap for the boost gauge there. It seems accurate enough.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
3.I dont run outer front axle wheel bearing seals and have noticed zero issues is anyone else doing this? (with rebuilds)
If you mean outer spindle-to-hub seals like in the rear hubs, yes they can be added for extra protection but most don't have them. (Should be the same type of grease on both sides)
Just to clarify: do you - or do you not - run them?:???:

G.

treysoucie

If you mean outer spindle-to-hub seals like in the rear hubs, yes they can be added for extra protection but most don't have them. (Should be the same type of grease on both sides)
Just to clarify: do you - or do you not - run them?:???:

G.
well i havent had to crack into my rear axles yet so im not 100% sure we are talking about the same seal. It sounds as if we have the same one in mind though. the one i am referring to is designed to keep the grease inside the very outer wheel bearing. If installed the the first axle nut acutually backs up to this metal disk/ rubber seal. followed by the multiheaded "locking washer" and then finally the last axle nut.

people were having trouble with these heating up bearing due to crappy chinese designs and to much friction. I had the same issue so i removed it and my hubs are fine, even with several hundred mile trips under the axle rebuild.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...... It sounds as if we have the same one in mind though. the one i am referring to is designed to keep the grease inside the very outer wheel bearing.....
YES, outer hub seal P/N 7061238.
.... people were having trouble with these heating up bearing due to crappy chinese designs and to much friction. I had the same issue so i removed it and my hubs are fine, even with several hundred mile trips under the axle rebuild
OK, now I can understand your original question...! Actually what you did with the fronts is leave those seals out (which is how these trucks come from factory).

BTW, when others here were complaining about hot (rear)hubs, and excessive bearing preload was indicated as the main culprit, I suggested to do a test run - same bearing adjustment/preload but with the outer seal removed...

G.