• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3 M1009's recovered today from "The Ranch"

stampy

If you can't work on it or you don't have a way to get it home...Then you will end up paying, to tow it and to get it worked on. I wouldn't deny anyone a profit from their efforts, but I believe in being fair too. If I had a shop and did this kind of work I would charge an Ebay price (more) and a Steel Soldiers price like MANY here do (discount for those who do their research). Ultimately the market is what sets the price and while I enjoy working on mine and know what I have done to it and the quality of work some others would rather pay for a ready to drive truck, and it's hard to pick up a truck for 1000$ and then tow it home, change fluids then find a bad transmission and brakes and a rear window blown out. The cost of labor at 50+$ per hour....it does not surprise me that some want to sell them for 5K or more, especially when in some areas its hard to find a decent 1009 now for less than 2K. Remember risk deserves to be rewarded.:-D

Cucvnut

WOW! I thought this would be the last place I would people against what made this great country what it is, or what it used to be, because of people thinking like this. Why is it any of our business what he is selling then for or even less your business what people are paying. Whats it worth? Well as for me, I collect guns and the book says the gun is worth $500, but I find a guy that has one, and he wants $1000, well I want it so bad that I give a $1000 for it, that makes it worth a $1000, not $500 like the book says. Or we can say he can only find someone that will give him $250 are we going to attack the buyer because the book says its worth $500 and he stole it from the seller. NO. It was only worth $250 at the time of sale. So who cares if someone pays $15,000. It is his fault and only his fault that he didn't do research to find about GL and that he could get one cheaper. I am glad I saw this thread before I started one about how I recovered 5 M1009's and a M1010 in Indy today, and that I was going to list the M1010 at about $7000, because I guess I am suposed to sell it for what I payed for it because its the right thing to do and I dont want to make money I just love to sell MV's
is this an add for your business ?

ABN173

I am glad I saw this thread before I started one about how I recovered 5 M1009's and a M1010 in Indy today, and that I was going to list the M1010 at about $7000, because I guess I am suposed to sell it for what I payed for it because its the right thing to do and I dont want to make money I just love to sell MV's

This is a touchy subject to say the least. I have discussed some things with 101coolcars and I think he is on the up and up. He has stated that he is selling them for closer to 4k which is fair. People on this site tend to look out for each other and it looked like he was selling them for almost $9,000 (which is not the case) so yeah some of us became excited.

One expects markup in retail but how much is reasonable and fair? It's not just about buying a cucv for $1500 from GL and doing an oil change and charging $7000 or more, some vehicles require more labor and parts than others not to mention the overhead of running his business these include but are not limited to salaries, worker's comp, insurance, utilities, an accountant, website hosting (and design), taxes, shipping cost for both the vehicles and replacement parts , and some other expenses I probably left out.

This is just my personal opinion (and we all know what they say about those) but I think if your buying a CUCV for $2k and you put another $1,000+ in it (parts/labor/misc cost) then asking say $6k maybe that's not out of line. Now perhaps when the well dries up and CUCV's become scarce they will be worth a lot more. You can look at many threads on this site and others saying " Hi I'm new here and I want to buy a CUCV, How much should I spend?" Not once have I ever seen anyone saying $7,000 to 9,000 is a fair price.

anyway I wish Terry the best of luck and I think he is on the right track.

Dale

91W350

I paid too much at GL for my M1009, waited over 60 days for my EUC to clear, drove 800 miles round trip to get it home, now have been waiting 30 days for my SF97. I am thinking it is worth a few hundred dollar bills to be able to go look, drive, pick one out and leave with a title. The repair and service part I enjoy, the paper hassles have about burned me out on GL. What can be so tough about clearing a guy with no criminal history and has basically lived in the same place for 55 years? This waiting a month for the government to send me a paper to register a vehicle I had to wait 65 days to pick up is kind of chapping me. Glen

gwag

First post

I have been lurking here for a while and gleaning a lot of useful information from the members here. I have saved thousands of dollars in repair bills searching the forums and think this is a great forum.
I'm a car dealer in SD and have been buying & reselling M1008s, m1028s, & m1009s for about a year. I've found the hardest decision about pricing is do you price it high for the guy who won't buy unless he feels like he got the best of you by haggling or do you price it at the lowest amount you are willing to take for the guy who does not haggle. It's a tough call I have tried both ways.
I have sold several of these vehicles for a profit some more than others but this is not my hobby it is how I put the food on the table, the roof overhead and support my family and I can tell you there is a tremendous amount of overhead a legit auto dealer has that the hobby guy does not have to cover. It's a game of averages some you lose a little on but you let go just to make a sale and a new customer, some you make a little on, and once in a while you buy a nice one right because no one else is looking and you do pretty good on those.
The bottom line is Terry is not holding a gun to any ones head and as someone else stated something is only worth what some one is willing to pay for it. I can guarantee if he's averaging $4,000 to $4,500 a unit he's not getting rich off MV sales when you add it all up. Don't forget he seems to be taking care of his customers AFTER the sale. This cost me $1,100 the other day for an IP on a recent sale on a 1008 that sold 400 miles away.
Thanks to everyone for all the useful info on here and sorry if I got a little long winded but I think a few people were getting out of line without all the facts.
Now that I have a post I will try to get a picture up of my m1028 short bed on 37s with minimal lift, lots of fun off road! Hope this did not come off as an ad!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I've just got to pipe in on this one.

I've BEEN to this shop.

Folks, you can EAT off the floors. He gave me a tour in the middle of a busy day, they didn't stop to clean up, it's just KEPT that way.

Now I don't know about you, but how a mechanic keeps his work station, his bench, his shop speaks volumes. Don't get me wrong, I've had great mechanics who were slobs. But the BEST mechanics always seemed to be neat as a pin, KNEW where everything went and took great pride in his workmanship.

I PERSONALLY saw one of the 69 Mustang Fastbacks that these guys brought back to factory original and as a guy who grew up and OWNED these cars when they were new, this shop is IT as far as I'm concerned.

And yeah, YOU CAN BUY an $9k M1009. But if you did, they probably swapped out the TH400 for a stick shift (someone help a poor old man out, I can't for the life of me remember the numbers any more). They will have put in a MANDREL BENT dual exhaust, new front to rear. They will have completely repaired any body damage or rust and completely painted the truck and probably (though not necessarily) replaced interior pieces as well.

So, yeah, if you got the bucks, I HIGHLY recommend these guys.

When I get the time, they will be putting a mandrel bent exhaust on my M1028A2 and eventually my M1009 - gotta wait a while as the wife faints at the price - since when does a full length dual exhaust cost $1000? No, that's not what 101 charges, HIS prices were less. BUT DANG MAN, three shops I've used in the past ALL quoted me $800 - $1000 so I'm going with 101coolcars because he's not only cheaper, but I've seen his work and the pipes are all mandrel bent in his shop.

They do EVERYTHING in house. From Dyno to Paint and body to engine, well they do it all. And from what I SAW, they will be getting SOME of my business.

Like you guys, I do most of the work myself, but occasionally I do farm any given project out to qualified folks.

101coolcars IS qualified, in my books. NO, I DON'T WORK FOR HIM. I don't work for anyone but my wife. But he not only gets my kudo's he's gonna get some of my money sooner rather than later.

ALSO - if you aren't EMBARRESSED BY THE PRICE YOU ARE ASKING OR OFFERING (regardless of whether you are buying OR selling), they you ain't doing it right.

Or you have WAY more money than most of us. So good for you, 101coolcars. Hey, I wished he sold ALL of them for that money. Then MINE would be worth that as well. And that would also give our local MVCC a lot more members, which would be great!

HEY BOND, have you joined the local MVCC yet? We'll be doing the St. Paddy's day parade in March (13th). We rolled 27 trucks last year and hoping to roll more this year. If you've got any questions about the club, contact me. I'm around most of the days, as I'm retired and just kind of hang out at home.

Drop me an email, because I don't check here as often as I should.

markmontana

I'm a car dealer in SD ...

Hope this did not come off as an ad!
Welcome gwag- I thought I was the best lurker- but you win!

I looked up Lemmon, SD on the map- you are waaaay out there. If you can make a living selling cars there- you are good and I admire you. I took interest in your post as I am waiting for the EUC to clear on a gl deuce at Ellsworth.

There are some good MV guys in SD- you sound like one to add to that list.

gwag

Thanks for the welcome & kind words. I am way up here as markmontana says right on the ND border 200 miles north of Ellsworth AFB. I have yet to do the GL thing and have been getting my MVs at the GSA auctions because I can hear them run & visually inspect them.
Most of my trucks either stay locally with the farm/ranch crowd or go north or east for snow plow duty.
I have been getting a chuckle about all the cold start threads lately we have finally warmed up after weeks of -20 below and did fire off a couple of 1008s without a lot of hassle.
Thanks again for the welcome!

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1008 Vs Deuce

Let's apply the same logic to Clinton at C&C ...he restores and sells Deuces for more money than anyone else on this board (Check e-bay) How much did he get for his crew cab deuce??? Because he is in business to do just that and fills a market segment ( more power to him). Same with these guys, they are just pushing the limit just like BJ auto auctions. I know some complain about that, but it's just life...:roll: