• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3 of 4 door hinge bolts snapped off

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Not my doing , but I have to fix this before installing the new door from @Floridianson . I think those bolt extractors you hammer on then turn with a wrench may work. Open to suggestions. Not as bad a broken exhaust studs but shouldn't say that just yet.

Attachments

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put two new doors on my truck. Left side they all came out with the impact driver you mention. Very handy. Here is one.

Passenger side I think I got out two of them. For whatever reason that side is rustier. Was a fun time to drill these out and retap.

nyoffroad

Those bolts go into a floating plate, so if you can get in behind it and remove it then it's easy to drill them out or heat them up. You will not be able to hammer an extractor for two reasons 1 it's broken off to short and 2 hammer on it and you will drive the plate into the pillar and it might fall out of place. If you don't/can't remove the plate I'd put a bolt in the good hole and snug it to hold the plate in place then center punch and drill and tap the others. Good luck!

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like the busted studs stick out far enough to hold a nut over each, weld on inside the nut, use wrench to remove gently. Heat is perfect side-product.

Iron Maiden

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Being a veteran at removing twisted off bolts, I would suggest carefully center punching the center of the bolt and then drilling with a drill bit smaller than the full size tap drill. In this case, being a 1/4 x20 thread, I would first use a 1/8" drill bit and sneak up, depending on how well you centered it to a #7 drill for retapping the hole. What I found really works well is to use a left hand drill bit, which if you're lucky will unscrew what is left of the bolt and you drill it out. If your drill hole is not completely centered, you can use a burr and a die grinder to re-center the hole. Usually on these smaller sized bolts that are rusted in, as yours appear to be, an easy out is not going to get the job done. Seeing how rusty your truck is and how difficult your screws were coming out, I would've used a left handed drill bit and used the phillips head of the bolt as a center and just drilled the bolt out and run a tap through the hole. I hope when you fix everything that you use some anti-seize on fasteners where appropriate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks