• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3 Phase to 1 Phase boo boo...

GiftedFaithful

I followed(mostly) [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmF4Awr3uc4[/media] on how to convert mep004a from 3 phase to 1 phase.

Not being very knowledgeable in these things, it appears that in the rewire process the generator head wire from 8 got moved to 11 instead of the panel (smaller) wire.

So after it was all buttoned down and my electrician friend said fire it up, we go 60% load on the panel right away. I shut it off as no load was connected. A small to moderate amount of smoke came out of the generator head. We tore it back down and found that the large generator head wire was moved, not the panel wire, fixed that, and buttoned it back up.

Of course now when we start her up, she runs like a kitten, but I have zero output across the board. Can someone advise me what my next step is, and if it is major like rebuild/replace the generator head what sort of place can do that, and/or where I might find a part to make that happen?

GiftedFaithful

I am guessing a new generator head unit? I called Delt and found one for $2k...
Worse part is the "friend" was doing it free with the "I will help but this aint my area of work, so we will do our best, but it's on you..."

Any advice would be greatly prized!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I guess in stead of "I followed mostly", should have been "I followed exactly". Maybe you wouldn't have needed this thread.

sewerzuk

sorry to hear about your luck!

I knew SOMEBODY would do this. Just didn't think it would be this soon!
Not to pour salt on the wound, but I even said something to the effect of "double check your wiring at this point because it is possible to hardwire in a short with no breaker protection!" and "damage will occur to your generator head or control circuitry!" 7:42 in the video

Hopefully others trying this mod will take those extra few minutes to do that double check!

Now that the :soapbox: is over, I am actually surprised that you have zero output on all phases...

By moving the lead from T8 to T11, you wired two ends of the same winding together, creating a dead short on that one winding. It wouldn't suprise me if that one winding was burned up (the insulation and coating on that winding was the source of the smoke you noticed), but you have zero output across all phases...
This points more toward a problem with the exciter/VR. HOPEFULLY the smoke you saw was just hot insulation and/or conformal coating that didn't get damaged :fingers crossed:
I have yet to see an -004/-005 exciter/VR burn up. Before we go into troubleshooting this, I would TRIPLE check all of the connections that you made on the reconnection board. After that, fire the generator up and with it running, hold the start switch in start and see if you get any voltage across any of the windings (move the meter selection switch through all of its positions while you are holding the start switch in start). This should tell us something.

Last edited:

GiftedFaithful

Restarted, pulled generator head, reseated plugs, loosened all connections, cleaned, reattached, restarted *holding start for a 10sec* and now she is running nice, smooth, and about to go test voltages under load with meter, the built in meters run all green, 56hertz, voltages spot on!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice instructional video!

sewerzuk

56 Hertz? You might want to bump the speed up a little before you load it.

Rick
x2
You should be running about 61hz unloaded, with the engine warm
Frequency adjustment is accomplished with engine speed.

Once you have the set heavily loaded, pay close attention to your % current, % power, and voltmeters as you switch through all of the positions. They should be exactly the same for each position. If they're not, you may have damaged the T8-T11 winding...

edit: let me revise that statement...the voltages should be 120v for L1-L0, L3-L0 and 240v for L1-L3. Current should match exactly for L1, L2, and L3

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks