• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3 Phase to single phase 240VAC / 60 Hz conversion by means of a Transformer

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many folks are looking into converting a 15KW to 60KW Genset to single phase 240/120 VAC.

The ability to do this through the reconnection board is limited to the 004A, 005A and 006A and is not recommended to be done by the average Genset Owner due to the possibility off getting the connections wrong which will result in an absolute spectacular firework.

Basically, the firework of all fireworks, the grande finale.

To avoid this spectacular firework, we have been recommending to our customers to use a Delta / Wye Transformer with at least 300% of the rating of the Genset to be connected.

The best source for those transformers is eBay, as they are typically used in industrial environments and with the continued de-industrialization of America, are plentiful on eBay and can be found in the US$ 200 to US$ 500 range plus shipping or pickup.

However, a word of caution with eBay,

on a recent purchase by one of our customers, the eBay seller had listed the Transformer to be a Delta / WYE but it turned out to be a WYE / DELTA. Those can be used, but require a re-connection / reconfiguration on the secondary side from Delta to Wye to wind up with a WYE / WYE Transformer.

Peter

Attachments

Last edited:

jamawieb

Peter, lookup "Bar-Diamond" configuration for single phase conversion. PM me for more information as I'm still in testing phase for conversions.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Peter, lookup "Bar-Diamond" configuration for single phase conversion. PM me for more information as I'm still in testing phase for conversions.
James, yes I am aware of it. I guess they named smokestack by results.
The problem here is that you have to know exactly what the beginning and the end is of each coil, meaning polarity.
This is not identified in the TM’s only the Wire Numbers but no clarification as to the polarity of the coil.

So, be extra careful, we do not want to loose any members here in the forum or customers.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to clarify my last post about a start and an end of a coil or the polarity I would like to use a simple transformer which can be connected in series (High Voltage, less current) and parallel (Low Voltage, higher current) with the same VA output

the dot marks the beginning or positive side of each coil. In parallel both dots on each side have to be connected otherwise the transformer will go up in smoke

F99EE1F6-A965-46DD-BAFC-503D96458ADA.jpeg
3AB16868-D60E-412B-8A87-6357F91C3E71.jpeg
3EF87C7E-C98B-4487-9A28-0ADD5EF6AAE1.jpeg
9686071E-4BB6-4067-82FB-6CA1450C3B6D.jpeg
C5F33EE6-A20F-43F7-9EC7-8EB39F0F2E85.jpeg
01401FA4-D207-493C-84FF-914EA3305A31.png

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And as DieselAddict pointed out correctly in 2016 in a separate post of the why the conversion on a 804 is not possible besides of not knowing the polarity:

The why is because three of the windings are premenantly joined in a {edit} Y configuration inside the head. That locks you into delta only operation.

What I've wanted to see is how possible it would be to trace wire 10 back into the generator head and find the connection point where the three windings come together. If that joint is accessable without a lot of trouble you can convert it to a 12 wire head.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks