• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3 piece grounding rods

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shipping on 4 was $14, now I dont have to steal the grounding rod from the tanker when the Jenny's go somewhere else. Thanks for posting the good deal.

NormB

I bought a couple last time they had them on sale - months ago.

If you‘re looking for a permanent ground rod for your generator at home (or ham radio tower), a ground rod from the big box stores runs about ten bucks, a piece of 10 foot conduit about the same, and a garden hose fitting around five.

I made one of these about five years ago and have used it five times (also have an electric fence to keep the dogs out of my grape vines) in Maryland‘s alluvial deposit soil - hard packed clay mixed with some sand and YUGE rocks. Bores holes like butter.

Here‘s a link showing a guy using one. I hope it works, the IT guys on my job block youtube. If the water pressure is high enough (and you modify the tip by brazing a small piece of pipe across the outlet - that‘s shown in other videos) it takes about a minute to drill a hole:

https://youtu.be/m1vfEwb97VE

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to help all. I put a new OTA tv antenna up earlier this year, and I've been meaning to run a separate ground for it (and probably tie my metal woodstove chimney in at the same time).

Chainbreaker

Very timely tip LITD! I was testing one of my gensets yesterday as a SDS setup and had to drive a ground rod and found I was short on couplers and had one rod badly bent. So I just joined Sportsman's with a free 30 day trial and received a double discount using the special code offered. I bought 2 sets and it came to $43.57 with shipping! Great deal, mucho thanks!!!

Now if I could only find such a good deal on a slide hammer...

Last edited:

Bmxenbrett

Are you guying buying these for the portability of them?
I 8ft ground rod at home depot is like $11 bucks.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are way easier to install than a single 8' rod. They are steel too, so they will take a slam without deflecting.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very timely tip LITD! I was testing one of my gensets yesterday as a SDS setup and had to drive a ground rod and found I was short on couplers and had one rod badly bent. So I just joined Sportsman's with a free 30 day trial and received a double discount using the special code offered. I bought 2 sets and it came to $43.57 with shipping! Great deal, mucho thanks!!!

Now if I could only find such a good deal on a slide hammer...
I've got a hammer available. Reach out if you are interested.

Chainbreaker

I've got a hammer available. Reach out if you are interested.
Thanks for the offer LITD. However, yesterday a nice SS member knew of 2 NOS hammers with fittings on an auction site and alerted me, so I bought one of them. Now I'll be fully completed, ground wise, to reconfigure as a SDS system with new ground rods as needed to disconnect from house and do load testing with my newly acquired Comfort Zone 240V shop heater.

joel

I've put in a lot of ground rods using a sledgehammer, ground rod pounder(that's what we called them, a thick,heavy pipe with handles welded to it)and an air-powered hammer made for the task.

Chainbreaker

Yep, all those methods work for driving a ground rod. The trick is removing them later if needed. With the 3 military sets sections and the slide hammer down on a rod section and the heavy duty spacer bolted on top you can pound em back out fairly easily.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Funny you should talk about ground rods.

I just installed 14 ground rods here. Electric wire fence. 5/8 galvanized 8ft, t-post pounder to start, and then a Milwaukee jack hammer with ground rod driver bit.

Triton

An electrician friend of mine said he could drive one in by hand within 5 inches sticking out of the ground, I told him if he could I would kiss his a#$ in the middle of the street. He took a big gulp cup full of water and did just what he said, luckly I didm't have to pay up!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks