• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3 Speed Transmission Temp Gauge

dherman304

Hello all, I have a 2006 M1097R1 that is getting close to being done but I want to install a transmission temperature gauge. Has anyone done this before? I did a lot of research on the theory of where to put it on a 3L80 but no one specifically mentioned which port or connection to use. I'm thinking about adding a probe on the pickup back to the cooler??? Any help would be great!

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not open the oil circuit. This is only one source of failure.
I would take a threaded sensor that you can put in the oil pan. Lower the sump, weld in the nut, if necessary a protective ring around it (so that it is protected in the field) and screw in the sensor.
Then you also have the effective oil temperature in the sump and not something from outside.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You want to monitor the temp going into the pump so the pan would be best, but that fitting on the return line on the stack is a convenient place to put a sending unit.

DREDnot

In the pan. That measures the temp of the fluid entering the transmission which is all that matters. The internal seals need to stay below 265 degrees or they harden and leak pressure and cause the clutches to slip and burn out. Per my GM tech school transmission class. Also minimizes points of failure in the system as was mentioned

dherman304

I decided to go into the pan. I need to drop it anyway to replace the trans filter. I ordered a 1/4 x 1/8 NPT bushing to tap into the pan. I plan to use a nut to secure it on the other side with JB weld all over the place. Ill post a tutorial once I get it done!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks