• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

30 amp headlight fuse

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, dirty or poor connections generate heat and as such, melt plastic. Remove and discard the fuse. Get a new one but before installing it, make sure the contacts in the fuse box are clean and tight. Maybe even a dab of dielectric grease on the fuse blades. As an aside LMC make a plug and play harness that will relieve some of the current load on the fuse all the while brightening the headlights.

Edit: Doh, forgot about the sticky!

steelandcanvas

Many thanks.I should have look up the page myself (duh) So it's either dirty connection in the fuse bow or the big plug on the engine bay wall.
Look through all your connections, grounds, etc. I'm not real familiar with the 1009, but check to see if it has a ground strap or wire from the frame to the core support. Sometimes these get dirty and corroded creating a high resisitance connection. Just my 2cents.

Once fixed, you should power the lights through two relays (hi and low beams) using the original output wires to control the relays and a power line direct from the firewall junction, then circuit breaker protected as close to the junction as possible, to feed the relays (the circuit breaker self resets and keeps you from totally losing your lights if a short occurs, they will at the least flash on when it resets). I did so and have never regretted it. The lights are brighter, the fuse box and the light switch much less likely to give out. It only takes two good heavy duty relays, some wire and female spade connectors, shrink tubing and a solder gun etc. to do the job right and trouble free. Keep the relays inside the cab, I like to use the panel that removes from under the steering column. Inside keeps them corrosion and water freezing-up free.

cpf240

LMC has a decent headlight harness kit that does the same thing Corelokt mentioned. It is not made with the best components in the world, but it gets the job done and allows you to keep the factory harness intact.

K9Vic

For those that plan to install the LMC harness.

Yes you can connect the harness to the passenger side as that is where the batteries are. You will also need to extend the ground wire on the driver side so it reaches the factory ground point at the top. The instructions say not to extend the wires, but extending the ground in fine. There is plenty of wire to run across if you install it correctly, best to remove the plastic grille to get the best fit.

This is a GMC Suburban, but the CUCV is the same method to run the wire. I use plastic tubing in addition for added protection.

Attachments

cpf240

... You will also need to extend the ground wire on the driver side so it reaches the factory ground point at the top...
I installed the harness as you mentioned, in front of the front battery, and ran it similar to that shown in your picture. I found that the driver's side ground worked just fine by using the mounting bolt for the horn noise capacitor. In the process, I found another ground wire hanging loose behind the bumper, so ran it there as well.

biggestc69

I upgraded to the Napa brand that were supposed to be a little bit brighter than stock. So I did and ran it for awhile, month or two. And then the starter quit so while I was checking out the Doghead realy mod under the dash I went ahead and decided to check the fuses. When I got to the 30 amp headlight it had gotten hot enough to not melt but disort the plastic. Ordered the LMC kit, kills me cuz its Chinese and I try to buy American as much as I can but I didnt have time to round up relays and all that, use the truck daily. The kit was ok and seems to do the job. Lights might seem a little brighter but maybe thats just in my head? For peace of mind and a quick solution go with LMC. Price wasnt that bad if I remember correctly either.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The info on the LMC harness and a diagram to build your own is in the Headlight sticky

Cletus09

I did the LMC mod harness ... And I still have the problem, however I have noticed that the fuse/circuit breaker only blows when I do a lot of braking while maneuvering or in city traffic. I think my problem might be in the fuse block itself. You're best bet might just be to take apart the fuse block and clean everything up real nice. That's what I plan on doing when it get warm outside. Just my $0.02

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks