• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

300 M1078 LMTVs for sale in Germany...whoa!

Dieseljoe3

Hi all,

I love 5 Tons, and someday I'll be able to also buy an LMTV when they really start selling more through GovLq. While doing some looking around in the mean time, I came across this ad for 300 LMTVs for sale in Germany. See the link here: http://www.boss-truck.com/army-cargo-trucks.htm. Just so you know, I have no connection with this company and I'm not assisting the sale.

The sale really did pique my curiosity about how they came to be for sale at this particular dealer. I am assuming that the sale is most likely due to the troop draw-down in Germany. What is really making me wonder is why the Army would rather dump 300 trucks in Germany rather than re-distro to other European units, or just load them up on a cargo ship and send them back home? Yes, I realize these trucks are not armored, but there are plenty of CONUS units and the Army Guard/Reserves that could put them to good use. Doesn't this seem like a waste of money for these lightly-used vehicles to be sold off for some 3rd-world country to pick them up on the cheap, instead of re-use here in the USA? I don't see any indication that these trucks went through the Foreign Military Sales program, and they seem open to any buyer in Europe or elsewhere. I'm also wondering whether DLA even attempted to sell these trucks initially through a US citizen, or did they go the quick route?

Just lots of questions from an inquiring US citizen...that is all.

5tonman1971

There's a bunch of lmtvs on GL right now aswell I think the army just got a bunch if replacements

i think they look like this.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dieseljoe3

I noticed one on a GL lot the other day, but my price-point that I want to pay for an LMTV is less than what they are currently selling for. I'm waiting for the price to come down, lol.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
You are not suppose to talk about pending auctions.

Saying that....

This has already been covered. The military is dumping anything that is not armored. LMTVs now, MTVs will be coming out soon and also the tractors. If it ain't armored, it'll be sold. Oh and by the way, a "new water trailer" is also getting handed out but it sure looks like a standard water trailer but with different tires (and no it is not the twin axle one--it's single axle).

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
CARNAC The link is not about an upcoming auction...it is about a company in Germany selling LMTVs. I'm not discussing any GL auction, thanks.
He could be referring to post #2........................................................

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Well in that case...there is an F86 and an RF84 for auction on the Bundeswehr website then.

Thanks Clint, it was about #2.

and back to OP, too expensive to ship back and after 13 years of war, the ARNG and USAR and just about (and in some cases) better equipped than Regular Army units. Most of them already have/are getting uparmored stuff. Overall the Army is shrinking and I think the article from about a year ago said the Army was excess 45000 vehicles. But hey, what the F do I know.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a bunch of lmtvs on GL right now aswell I think the army just got a bunch if replacements

i think they look like this.
We had a whole thread on this, these are Taiwanese Army trucks. you even started it... http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?119662-What-is-this-I-really-want-one

Dieseljoe3 said:
Looks like the replacements to LMTVs are the MTVRs from Oshkosh...

Not even close. MTVRs have never been considered to replace the MTV family.

Dieseljoe3

CARNAC thanks and good observation. And yes I am quite a bit jumpy about posting anything that looks like an upcoming auction out of fear that the moderators will snuff out my very brief existence here on SS...especially with the giant warning at the top of each screen. I didn't mean to come across short, my apologies. And I am still learning my way around SS and consider myself to be a newbie on this forum. I do place great value on this forum and the members here and hope I don't post anything stupid to jeopardize my continued access to the forum or to you personally. Thanks!

Dieseljoe3

Bikeman I am now even more curious than ever what the Army's plan is for the life cycle of LMTVs and what the future holds for a replacement. The way things are going with the budget I'd be surprised to see anything progressing through acquisition at the moment.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bikeman I am now even more curious than ever what the Army's plan is for the life cycle of LMTVs and what the future holds for a replacement. The way things are going with the budget I'd be surprised to see anything progressing through acquisition at the moment.
The first gen of the MTV family's frames are not heavy duty enough to support up armoring in line with the armys armoring concept plan of the future. Not 100% of the "non-upgradable" trucks will go away as there are units that will "never" deploy them or use them in "combat" for lack of a better term. Or at least that is what the Army says for now.

I have not heard of, nor do I anticipate, a replacement for the MTV family. we are fielding various configurations of armored/armor compatible trucks, at this time...