• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

302 Oil pan Gasket

6x6XL

Hello all again. I have yet another question...Im getting everything together to do a rear main seal on my deuce and ive got the seal (the graphite? one from Napa) and I get a Sneaky pete tool, but I need the oil pan gasket also. a website called classicpartsusa.com sells a 302 pan gasket for $12. http://www.classicpartsusa.com/product/GKT-145_1951/1951_Truck_Parts_Gaskets

My question is this...will this gasket work with the military 302 with the deep pan? I know the differences between the civilian 302 and military 302 are slight (deeper pan, waterproofing, and a block casting knob). also the website doesn't say what the material is or if its one piece or four. I hate putting in four piece gaskets and prefer steel lined rubber gaskets. Does anyone make a gasket like that?

Thanks again everyone. it's truly appreciated!

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't remember the shape of the gasket, & I don't know if there are any new style gaskets. But any 302 gasket fits. I wouldn't doubt that the 270 gasket fits too. Never cared much for that job - it always took about a 1/2 day.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Engine Gaskets for G749

There are still G749 engine kits out there somewhere. MVPA Supply line has a few guys listed that carry parts and it's worth making the calls and hustling these guys out to the sea-cans.

The schematic might help a little and I have read that the 302's and 270's share a pile of parts. Until I put one together I couldn't tell you one way or another what fits.

PA240388.jpg

I'll PM a few contacts to you and lets have them look up some inventory. I have 4 engines to put on the stand and we're going to need some parts too.

The "stovebolt" guys have a lot to say about our motors including rodding and racing them so lots of interest in the mighty 302. Search "302 stovebolt" to learn more.

PM coming.

USMC 00-08

Hello all again. I have yet another question...Im getting everything together to do a rear main seal on my deuce and ive got the seal (the graphite? one from Napa) and I get a Sneaky pete tool, but I need the oil pan gasket also. a website called classicpartsusa.com sells a 302 pan gasket for $12. http://www.classicpartsusa.com/product/GKT-145_1951/1951_Truck_Parts_Gaskets

My question is this...will this gasket work with the military 302 with the deep pan?
The gasket pictured in that link does not appear to be right for our 302s.... if the picture is actually what gasket you would get. I have part number FPG OS3472C from NAPA for the pan gasket. As for the pan extension, I do not have a part number for that gasket yet.

If you find some better gaskets or new part numbers, please post them up so I can add them to the list that several of us are working on.

JasonS

I have had both the civilian and military 302s and, while I can't verify 100%, I do believe that there is no difference in the pan rail. I have had good luck making my own gaskets from silicone sheet. The cork always seems to leak.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
302 Gaskets

making my own gaskets from silicone sheet. The cork always seems to leak.
That's probably what we need to do and its an art in patience. Got any advice on the best way to do it?

This kit found me then was left open and got a little smoke damage from a little fire. This box is not labelled but is about 2 feet long 10" wide and 1 3/4" tick if someone happens to find one on the shelf for us.

PA250408.jpgPA250407.jpgPA250406.jpgPA250404.jpg

The list is here but she's a little dirty. If we need old part numbers I can wash it.

PA250405.jpg

JasonS

I purchased 1/16" and 1/4" thick drops from rubberman on ebay. I used a pen to trace out the old (or new cork gasket) on the sheet and then cut it out with an xacto knife. I'd highly suggest the silicone sheet for a valve cover gasket. Seals well and is re-usable when you need to do valve clearance adjustment. I had pretty good luck with the silicone sheet on the pan gasket but you have to be careful how far you tighten the bolts or the softer silicone can start to squish out. It takes patience and time but that is what is generally required for this hobby.

6x6XL

wow this is great information. thanks fellows. ill see what I come up with for numbers and ill get in touch with classic parts and see what they have to say about their gasket. Ive made a few flat cork gaskets in my travels but never have made the silicon gaskets.

how do account for the curve of the pan? just press the old gasket real flat on the new material?

Thanks again

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you do that, I would first measure the pan with a piece of wire fitting it into the curves and then mark the gasket where you would expect the end to appear being careful to stretch
the wire out to its full length. Think about it.

Last edited:

6x6XL

a quick update: im waiting for an email back from classicpartsusa.com about their gasket, but I talked to American classic truck parts at Americanclassic.com and they have a one piece pan gasket (GKT-145) that they are sure will work as the block mating surfaces are the same from military to civilian. additionally they have a bunch of other gaskets for the 302 engine.

I still haven't found anything like a steel lined gasket, but this looks pretty good so far.

If anyone is still following this thread I will update as I have information, but research is a bot slow as ive been working 12 hour shifts this week.

Thanks again.

6x6XL

also a site called marxparts.com in Wisconsin is a Best Gasket (four piece oil pan gasket #28011) distributor and they sell the rope rear mains (#5144) as well as a "graph-tite" head gasket (#589G).

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great info, thank you. Might as well add other places to look for engine gaskets here, on the well titled 302 oil pan gasket thread. There are a pile of links on a recent thread at stovebolt.com in 'the engine shop' under the title "302 GMC inline 6". Mostly engine related links with info on manifolds, heads, carbs and other places to get parts. Researching an engine swap in a 51 burb' so it's good timing.

There is some plausible mis-information there too so maybe we can clarify here,.... how many of the G749 series trucks were built? 800,000?

Not sure if the Guru's here would know the answer to this odd question,....just need to ask. How many 302 engines would have been built? Curious to know how many "Engine Gasket Sets" would have been produced by the original manufacturer but now we're gettin' silly.

When an order for X number of units goes out, is there a formula for the number of additional components that would be built/delivered/warehoused?

Some 302 links..

Binderplanet.com
.....engine article...... http://www.patricksantiquecars.com/images/page18.jpg
oldGMCtrucks.com.
http://www.inliners.org/

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
302 Engine Gaskets

Found another set with MCcord Corp as the manufacturer. Are these guys still around with a different name? My search leads me everywhere and the part number 51-5004 doesn't search well either. The part number on the pan gasket is C-10109-P but once again does not search well.

The engines it lists are 228, 236, 246, 270 and the beloved 302. All the same, really? Lazy GM.

The packages are a mellow yellow so they should be easy to spot.

PA280428.jpgPA280423.jpgPA280427.jpg

Section8

Did a quick Google of "GMC 302 inline 6 head gasket" and came up with a good one right away.
Classicpartsusa.com had a whole gasket set for the 302 for 97 bucks.
Not to bad to me since you would get every gasket for the motor in one shot.
Worth the hundred bucks I would think.
Part ID# is GKT_192_1956_302.

6x6XL

I was curious about the 270 and 302 being the same size also with a bigger cylinder punch? there seem to be quite a few similarities in the motors. obviously a head gasket would be no good, but oil pan, valve cover etc? something else I pondered as I haven't been inside one of these engines yet...the 302 is a 4 inch bore, 4 inch stroke, a 350 chevy is a 4 inch bore...could the pistons from a 350 work in a 302? if a guy wanted to bump the compression, get a just a little bump instead of decking the head?

I couldn't find anything on McCord gaskets set either

I cant call classic parts usa, had to send an email, but the sight seemed a bit sketchy. I was able to call American classic though and actually talked to a real person, here in America! that was refreshing

USMC 00-08

Did I send you a copy of the parts list several of us have been working on? If not, PM me your email address and I will send it to you.

Keep up the good work on helping us find parts to use!!

Section8

Here is another shot at a possible place for parts.
Kanter Auto Parts
76 Monroe st.
Boonton, NJ
USA
Phone# 973-334-9575
Fax# 973-334-5423
www.kanter.com

They list quite few engine parts as well as a complete engine gasket overhaul kit. List price of $95.40
Check under their listings for GMC truck cyl. 302. 1952-59 with 4 inch bore.

I have not received a copy of the sacred parts list. Pretty pretty please could I have a copy? !!!

6x6XL

USMC 00-08: That list would be great. ive heard rumors of a couple lists of this nature going around. I think if a group of guys could put together a list or a small reference guide, it would be wildly useful.

I have not heard back from Classicparts at all. I recently got a couple more contacts but have not had a chance to call, I will update asap.

I also came across this gem while researching: http://www.jegs.com/i/Detroit-Locker/357/250S27/10002/-1?parentProductId=
could be interesting to see one of these bug trucks all locked up pulling a hill or a rock crawl.

the axles are H-110 or sometimes called H-10

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks