• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3053 Main Shaft help

DaneGer21

While reinstalling the gear set onto my main shaft I noticed I do NOT have a key way for the 2nd gear, mine only presses on.

Moving to the next step is when I encounter a key way for the synchro sleeve.

Can anyone help? @m-35tom

Also, since I pressed on the 2nd gear with no alignment, it does not match up with my synchro teeth. And since 2nd is pressed on, nothing told me how to do it.

Attachments

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
second gear slides on the shaft, then put in 2 keys and press hub on, then snap ring, then 2/3 syncro, then 3d gear. make sure 2/3 syncro is facing correct way or it will not shift. both gears spin freely on shaft.

DaneGer21

that is from driving to fast. really. the 2nd gear that was on there would definitely not be reusable.
Who knows, it came pretty much trashed when I got it.

Stupid question, but can’t you only go so fast in 2nd gear? lol Unless I’m miss understanding what you are saying. I mean, if it’s made to spin on that shaft, and the gear is tight, wouldn’t this cause the same thing from the tight fit forcing itself to spin? Just curious.

A new gear was ordered.

brianp454

Now that makes sense, thanks!
I do not buy this explanation. I just pulled a transmission apart that I've been running for 10 years with much of the time in OD and the area under 2nd gear looked spotless. I think something else was an issue, such as it got ran low on oil, never got a change when it should have, etc. I think it is much more likely that you got a piece of crud (from normal gear or abnormal wear) in there that started a bad chain reaction that led to your issue. It could have had some manufacturing defect such as being too tight or too loose and that lead this this. Running in OD does not cause other gears to fail unless there is another issue.

Reactions: HDN

DaneGer21

I do not buy this explanation. I just pulled a transmission apart that I've been running for 10 years with much of the time in OD and the area under 2nd gear looked spotless. I think something else was an issue, such as it got ran low on oil, never got a change when it should have, etc. I think it is much more likely that you got a piece of crud (from normal gear or abnormal wear) in there that started a bad chain reaction that led to your issue. It could have had some manufacturing defect such as being too tight or too loose and that lead this this. Running in OD does not cause other gears to fail unless there is another issue.
They are all different. I believe the transmission professional above who deals with these all day everyday

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks