• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3053 trans, OD or not?

Driver523

It would be nice to return to a decent conversation but as long as there is misinformation going on I don't think it will happen, insinuations as--before Mr. Recht came on board--He was only answering a members question, I believe the first arrow flung was the <your> thing and from there it detereated to even ones spelling ( which I think most are guilty of at one point or another ) I think most the trouble here is that when some of us don't agree with a couple people here things go bad, I understand that some may not want others to know how easy it is to bring these trucks up to speed, I never compared the Mack tranny to the deuce tranny or putting the Dana Spicer 7231-A behind the deuce tranny, I simply said that there will be a Mack up to speed at only 2100 RPM---Now let me bring up another thing some may not want to hear---IF you decide to do a aux box it is possible to have other options at your disposal, those being IF you can cut out your front wheels with a switch or lock outs you COULD use your rears and OD for the roads and go back to a stock configuration by putting the aux box back to direct drive and then use your front wheels again---options are allways a good thing--I have never spent years to research these things, but I have been fortunate enough to get down the road on vehicles with people that have done these things---We need to let people say what they want to say without telling everyone that it won't work--IT worked and if it didn't everyone would know that too---Maybe we need to open a thread on how to bring these trucks up to speed with the aux gear boxes, I know for a fact that everyone that has done this will share what they know about it and the facts as to the results, we need to encourage things to be done and not try discourage people to try.

SasquatchSanta

m-35tom wrote:

.69 final od ratio is all the multi can handle, that is why my od gear sets are .71
I assume when you wrote this you were referring to a deuce with standard 9:00 (40.9 dia) rubber.

Does this mean that a bobbed deuce with 395/85 (46.7 dia) rubber would be marginal on torque with .69 or .71 gears?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
ernie, the 3053 and 3053A (both .79) are the same transmission in regard to ratios. all the gears and internal parts are the same. the 'A' may refer to the improved oiling for 2nd gear but i have not confirmed that. you have made your own 'overdrive' by adding larger tires. in your case .71 od gears would give you 72.6 mph at 2500 rpm. you are lighter and with more power, but this would have to be close to the limit.