• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3126 w/ABS vs 3116

Stratosurfer

All, I’ve been lurking here for almost 10 years now. I’m finally approaching actually buying an LMTV to build out as an Overland rig. My objective is to also pick up one of those single axle 17 foot LMTV trailers that will go with me most of the time. I live on the Texas coast and will be traveling many highway miles with hi-speed gears to get where I’ll be doing my over landing, and I wanted to ask the group their thoughts on a 3126 versus a 3116 generally. I do like the fact that the later models with the 3126 many times have ABS brakes. I would think on this heavier vehicle when driving in the rain particularly with the trailer loaded, that ABS would be desirable. Any thoughts appreciated. I’m considering doing something rather shortly. Thanks in advance.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All, I’ve been lurking here for almost 10 years now. I’m finally approaching actually buying an LMTV to build out as an Overland rig. My objective is to also pick up one of those single axle 17 foot LMTV trailers that will go with me most of the time. I live on the Texas coast and will be traveling many highway miles with hi-speed gears to get where I’ll be doing my over landing, and I wanted to ask the group their thoughts on a 3126 versus a 3116 generally. I do like the fact that the later models with the 3126 many times have ABS brakes. I would think on this heavier vehicle when driving in the rain particularly with the trailer loaded, that ABS would be desirable. Any thoughts appreciated. I’m considering doing something rather shortly. Thanks in advance.
The 3126 also has about 40 more horsepower if I remember correctly, however on my M1083A1 the ABS light is always on indicating some sort of fault and I haven't had time to troubleshoot it yet. However I have not driven it in the rain or snow yet. Being in the warm South Texas climate I don't think you encounter the hard cold starting issues with the 3116, so there's that. By the way there are at least one or two for sale on the interwebs right now that come with the trailer.

Stratosurfer

The 3126 also has about 40 more horsepower if I remember correctly, however on my M1083A1 the ABS light is always on indicating some sort of fault and I haven't had time to troubleshoot it yet. However I have not driven it in the rain or snow yet. Being in the warm South Texas climate I don't think you encounter the hard cold starting issues with the 3116, so there's that. By the way there are at least one or two for sale on the interwebs right now that come with the trailer.
Thanks, have you found OBDII port useful in troubleshooting the ABS light? Also if you could give me a pointer to the trucks for sale you saw I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Skyhawk13205

I have a 1078A1 3126, I like the ABS system, it works well and seems to keep the tyres from locking.

I live in Alaska when I first got my truck from auction it had a few ABS issues, I had to readjust a wheel speed sensor and have my ABS ECU to reconfigure. After that it works great, I did a couple of high speed stops in the snow and it seems to keep the truck straight, it does not help if all the wheels lock up at the same time.

The ABS system is a WABCO system with a frame mounted ECU, I use a prolink 9000 with the wabco application card to check for faults.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, have you found OBDII port useful in troubleshooting the ABS light? Also if you could give me a pointer to the trucks for sale you saw I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
I don't have any way of accessing such a port if it exists is that the port near the driver's side left knee? Even if it is that port I don't have any device that can connect to it

Stratosurfer

Yea its not OBD2… These use commercial automotive hardware and software to talk to the systems on the 3126/C7 trucks, or something like a prolink or the Allison software on a laptop with a communications interface to talk to the trans on the older 3116 trucks…
OK, that helps, so just a CAT/Allison dealer can tap in? Any aftermarket rigs to read codes?

Third From Texas

Having owned both an 1998 A0 w/3116 and a 2008 A1R with the higher hp C7 (both of which pulled a M1082 trailer up and down Padre and Mustang) I would be leaning heavily in favor of the 3126. While most of the Texas coast is flat, obstacles as minimal as the causeway bridges will bring you to a 40mph crawl in a 3116 (and that's before you alter the climbing ability with a gear swap). If you are set on highspeed gears, I would say go with the A1 truck for the extra hp. You'll need it, IMO. The 3126 can even be upped further in hp with a trip to CAT.

The 3116 has the advantage if you are a decent wrench and own the (insanely expensive) CAT tools, then working on the mechanical injectors can be done yourself. If you're not a diesel engine mechanic and don't plan to make the investment to become one, again I'd go with the 3126. The engine diagnostics are handy (and pulling stuff like MPG, etc can be useful...even for real-time display).

I never found the A0 brakes to be lacking. In fact my old M1078 would seriously stop on a dime (much shorter distance than the heavier M1079). I do like having the peace of mind of the ABS system, though. And if you get a M1082 trailer, the later models (that are the most common) come with ABS as well (pairs right into the truck's system).

Let me guess...

Texas coast + stratosurfer = kiteboarder, windsurfer, or para pilot?

67487247_10214642664730833_6074230650250985472_o_10214642664690832.jpg

20191012_182059.jpg

20211005_0858252.jpg

95232461_10216804670019614_7764275091243794432_o.jpg

I used to ride for G&S back in "the day"....

53841463_2121495461232861_8374671964995846144_o.jpg

Last edited:

Ronmar

A Scangauge D may also read the 3126 fault codes off the J1939 databus, as well as the engine data(hp, fuel consumption, temps ect). The RV community who use the 3126 have used them.

I have one for OBD scangauge 2 I have used for years. It is cool because it is user programmable. I was able to program it to monitor specific data on a powerstroke I was helping a friend troubleshoot. It worked quite well…

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After you add the habitat apparatus, trailer, contents, etc you will feel a difference between the 3116 and 3126, even more so if you change gears. You can swap turbos and change the injection pump on the 3116 to get 290 hp out of it but that's top end without a major investment. The 3126 you can flash the computer and get 330 hp without physical changes. ABS is a nice perk. Most importantly of all, since you plan to put miles on it, the 3126 is still a common enough engine that shops can work on it.

3126 Pros (recap)
  • More HP
  • ABS
  • Better suited for "high speed" gears
  • Shops can work on it
3126 Cons
  • Cost of vehicle (more desirable for expo rigs)
  • More computers

I'm in Dallas and would be happy to show you around the trucks to answer any questions. I've had all variants of the FMTV but I most like the A1 model from 2001-2004.

Stratosurfer

Having owned both an 1998 A0 w/3116 and a 2008 A1R with the higher hp C7 (both of which pulled a M1082 trailer up and down Padre and Mustang) I would be leaning heavily in favor of the 3126. While most of the Texas coast is flat, obstacles as minimal as the causeway bridges will bring you to a 40mph crawl in a 3116 (and that's before you alter the climbing ability with a gear swap). If you are set on highspeed gears, I would say go with the A1 truck for the extra hp. You'll need it, IMO. The 3126 can even be upped further in hp with a trip to CAT.

The 3116 has the advantage if you are a decent wrench and own the (insanely expensive) CAT tools, then working on the mechanical injectors can be done yourself. If you're not a diesel engine mechanic and don't plan to make the investment to become one, again I'd go with the 3126. The engine diagnostics are handy (and pulling stuff like MPG, etc can be useful...even for real-time display).

I never found the A0 brakes to be lacking. In fact my old M1078 would seriously stop on a dime (much shorter distance than the heavier M1079). I do like having the peace of mind of the ABS system, though. And if you get a M1082 trailer, the later models (that are the most common) come with ABS as well (pairs right into the truck's system).

Let me guess...

Texas coast + stratosurfer = kiteboarder, windsurfer, or para pilot?

View attachment 885864

View attachment 885860

View attachment 885861

View attachment 885862

I used to ride for G&S back in "the day"....

View attachment 885863
Paddle Surfer. Live in G-Town, surf Surfside. Vet. Thanks for the data.

Attachments

Stratosurfer

Paddle Surfer, Vet, live in G-Town. Was a Pilot once (Strato) Mostly surf Surfside Beach. Years ago, I used to make the run down to Mansfield from corpus all the time. I will definitely be running the beaches in my future rig.

Last edited:

Stratosurfer

After you add the habitat apparatus, trailer, contents, etc you will feel a difference between the 3116 and 3126, even more so if you change gears. You can swap turbos and change the injection pump on the 3116 to get 290 hp out of it but that's top end without a major investment. The 3126 you can flash the computer and get 330 hp without physical changes. ABS is a nice perk. Most importantly of all, since you plan to put miles on it, the 3126 is still a common enough engine that shops can work on it.

3126 Pros (recap)
  • More HP
  • ABS
  • Better suited for "high speed" gears
  • Shops can work on it
3126 Cons
  • Cost of vehicle (more desirable for expo rigs)
  • More computers

I'm in Dallas and would be happy to show you around the trucks to answer any questions. I've had all variants of the FMTV but I most like the A1 model from 2001-2004.
Great, I’ll PM you my cell number.

Stratosurfer

I tried to PM you, but ran into some difficulties in the software, maybe I need to be a paying member here? Any case my cell is xxx-xxx-xxxx. I’m down in Galveston. I’d love to chat text me as fuzzy toaster… 😎
Mark Magee

Last edited:

Third From Texas

I tried to PM you, but ran into some difficulties in the software, maybe I need to be a paying member here? Any case my cell is #########. I’m down in Galveston. I’d love to chat text me as fuzzy toaster… 😎
Mark Magee
I think the forum locks out PM's until you have been a posting member for some time or number of posts. It's not behind the paywall but is linked to membership time or post count or something, if I recall.

Last edited:

coachgeo

I think the forum locks out PM's until you have been a posting member for some time or number of posts. It's not behind the paywall but is linked to membership time or post count or something, if I recall.
I tried to PM you, but ran into some difficulties in the software, maybe I need to be a paying member here? Any case my cell is(123456791). I’m down in Galveston. I’d love to chat text me as fuzzy toaster… 😎
Mark Magee
once you two make contact.... IMHO ASAP remove this contact info. So many type of nefarious bots surf sites like this just for that kind of info.... those bots attracts scammers, spammers and hackers to websites also.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks