• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

34079 paint code?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you go to HD, here's the procedure. 1. Have them look a 'Competitive' paints. 2. Scroll down till they see "FSS" and select it (Federal Supply Service), two boxes will show up, the top one is for the name and the bottom is for the number, in your case '34079'. Put it in there and have them mix it!

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 457361 I know nothing about paint would this be sufficient enough to have the paint shop mix the right color with?
Why not purchase the paint all ready made? If you buy in bulk from Rapco parts, they have all the different military shades available. And they are oil based. Check out their website, it will save you a lot of time.

Kloakndagr

I tried the Home Depot thing and the car quest paint gal thought I was crazy for using "house paint" on a truck. She told me that they could not match car paint to house paint. I was only trying to purchase a pint of tint for my raptor tintable bed liner. What was even funnier was her comment that her computer camera could only scan auto paint from "metal". So I guess if she gets the inspection panel from one of my doors that's OD Green she will be able to match it. I'll give them one more try before moving to another shop that can sell me what I need.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried the Home Depot thing and the car quest paint gal thought I was crazy for using "house paint" on a truck. She told me that they could not match car paint to house paint. I was only trying to purchase a pint of tint for my raptor tintable bed liner. What was even funnier was her comment that her computer camera could only scan auto paint from "metal". So I guess if she gets the inspection panel from one of my doors that's OD Green she will be able to match it. I'll give them one more try before moving to another shop that can sell me what I need.
You tried to get HD paint at Carquest? No wonder you had problems. You might want to do a search on 'BEHR Paint' here on the site before you give up. The paint is delivered in a latex solution, but dries to an acrylic finish. And, yes, auto paints are now latex also because of California Air Resources Board rules and the EPA - they dry to acrylic too. Check out the threads, you might be amazed.

Kloakndagr

Ha ha you funny G.I....

I went to car quest to get the tint for my tintable bed liner. I used the paint can from Behr (OD) in my attempt to get car quest to match the tint with the paint.

you crack me up......

kabar1

Paint shop doesn't want to use rapco, he does great work and is cheap. Home Depot says they can not match federal colors because of the system update with they're computer.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most all the auto paint mfgrs can cross the FS numbers into paint codes. Just will take some digging. For example, FS24087 crosses to PPG Delstar DAR42955.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two useful websites to help translate the codes.

The Federal Standard paint spec site gives the RGB Hex code of that specific paint, universal color coding system. On the RGB Hex site, you can put the hex code in the search field completely at the top of the page, click get info and you get all the paint specs from a color point of few including several corresponding codes for different paint manifacturing systems.

So FS 34079 translates into RGB Hex code # 423f2c. With the info on that page, you should be able to find enough specs to satisfy every paint mixer.

Having said that, several variations of what the FS calls variations of "green" on my screen look more like brownish than olive drab (actually, a bit like the darker setting of the SS site. According the RGB Hex code, this is the official Olive Drab color. My truck has been partly repainted and has lightened up a lot, now looks like "avocado" green. Although darker than the official Olive Drab, it is still more green than the brownish of the FS "green". Are the trucks painted with 34079 really so brownish?

After posting, continued to look into this. From the table on the Olive Drab webpage on paint, found the following note under this color number for the period 1968 - 1984: Colors not the same as FS595 same numbers Oh sh@$#t, now what.

Last edited:

Whiterabbit

Yep, the FS codes did change in the mid 80's! You have to track down an old FS and convert to the new. PITA!
Take any painted pannel and smack the paint gal up side the head then say that's the color, match it or find someone that works there that knows what they are doing!
El Guano Loco!:cookoo:
My truck is 34079 and I got tired of the runaround so I bought Rapco.

SteveKuhn

Depending on the color, more or less. The sample should be flat and sufficient to cover the lens of the computer so it gets a good look. If it's a complicated color, or if you're a nit about making it right in different light conditions it might need tweaking.

It might hit it right on; it might get you close so that the proper pigments for that brand are selected and can be worked with.

Steve

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So mine is 1973 M51A2 stationed in Europe at least for part of the time.

DSC_0001_resize.jpg

Probably the history was a bit more varied than I thought, since there seem to be a few layers of paint on top of each other. Besides, the never used brand new spare tire has a brownish top coat with a greenish paint layer underneath it. So what would the correct paint be for this vehicle? That is, either the original factory paint or the late 1980s paint used in Europe. Any idea?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks